BBQ Beef Ribs

Food & beverages Discussions
CageyVeteran

BBQ Beef Ribs

Post by CageyVeteran »

I've been experimenting. Saw some guy on TV make BBQ beef ribs, these things are huge. There not beef spare ribs, their "short ribs" like the kind you seen the grocery story but these aren't cut up. I think they are called beef rib plate, I like cooking them whole. The theory is the juices stay in better.

They used to be cheap when the WHO made that article saying beef is a carcinogen, but guess people have come to their senses. The meat is good but the connective tissue crazy chewy, but certain parts of the ribs are lacking in meat.

I smoked mine for like 3-4 hours at 270 degrees. And then I wrap in aluminum foil when I get a temp of 160 or so and chuck in the oven for about an hour at least then check temp. Aiming for 195-205 degrees. You can pull the bones out and store just the meat for later.

I just seasoned with salt and pepper. Injected with some worstshire sauce and lemon juice (injection didn't really stick) and put on my new smoker.
Attachments
BR1.jpg
BR1.jpg (145.28 KiB) Viewed 3964 times
BR.jpg
BR.jpg (120.67 KiB) Viewed 3964 times
CageyVeteran

Re: BBQ Beef Ribs

Post by CageyVeteran »

Thanks duder.

I might try it again. This time with the cut up ones and only get the ones with meat. The ones on the end don't have a whole lot.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

stenchasaurous wrote:Beef ribs probably my favorite thing to grill. These are the last ones we did. Dark ones were salt, pepper, and a good local sweet type rub with an under basting of molasses brushed on, with reapplication of molasses and the run each rotation. Yellow ones were a coffee grounds and homemade spicy mustard sauce baste.
Oh man I love those ribs. I never wrapped them and they came out crazy "tough" but mainly on the outside, the inside was good. Next time I'm going to wrap in foil.

But it seems like not a whole lot of meat but those bones are crazy long. so it kinda evens out. maybe this weekend.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

regulardude wrote:I don't know much about making/preparing BBQ ribs, but I do love eating all that stuff.

I was in Portland recently and went to this spot, which was maybe the best I've ever had. Well, second-best to a local DC place.

http://podnahspit.com/
dude if you can cook in an oven you can cook on a grill. just like anything takes practice, mainly the heat control.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

regulardude wrote:
I'm serviceable on the grill. Usually hit my stride by mid-summer in terms of getting brats, burgers, and chicken down pat.

Ribs are a scary proposition because of the prep work, the temperature, and the timing. I don't want to fuck it up, which is why I usually leave it up to the professionals.
If you can do chicken you can do ribs, assuming you're cooking whole parts like leg quarters and breasts not strips. There really isn't a whole lot to prep work. if you want pull the membrane off the back if you want, it'll be easy to come off once cooked. Season like anything else like chicken and throw on the grill. Just not as hot as burgers, just spread the fire around instead of keeping in a pile, or move the pile away from the ribs, too close to the fire or too high heat will over cook it fast. I started off on a Weber grill doing ribs.

The hardest part of "smoking" is keeping the fire going but you don't have to; the "cheater method" is throw on the grill for an hour or so. I've heard food can't take any more smoke after a while like one maybe two hours. An hour or there abouts should be good, you just toss into the oven if you don't want to keep cooking on the grill.

You really can't mess it up, just keep checking it every 15 minutes or so. You'll get the hang of it quick, and you'll be a good at it in like your third try. But I caution you, you might get addicted. If you can do burgers and brats really good and enjoy it, ribs is like crack and meth rolled into one smokey drug.
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

regulardude wrote:
CageyVeteran wrote:[dude if you can cook in an oven you can cook on a grill. just like anything takes practice, mainly the heat control.
I'm serviceable on the grill. Usually hit my stride by mid-summer in terms of getting brats, burgers, and chicken down pat.

Ribs are a scary proposition because of the prep work, the temperature, and the timing. I don't want to fuck it up, which is why I usually leave it up to the professionals.

Just buy one of these. It what i use when i want to slow cook something and it super easy to use.

WhyteHypeBG
TTR Suppl. Challenge #10 Super Champion
TTR Suppl. Challenge #10 Super Champion

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

deadlything wrote:
regulardude wrote:
CageyVeteran wrote:[dude if you can cook in an oven you can cook on a grill. just like anything takes practice, mainly the heat control.

Just buy one of these. It what i use when i want to slow cook something and it super easy to use.

Cheater!

I also have one.

Don't forget that Scrotes Day is April 30th!
Sing All Day, Drink and Sing All Night!
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

WhyteHypeBG wrote:
deadlything wrote:

Cheater!

I also have one.

it's great. Put a brisket in about 10 at night. Pull out of the smoker in the morning and then put in the fridge. Come home from dinner slice it up then heat it up.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Those ribs look amazing! I wish I had a smoker like that! Anyways, happy grilling season to all my TTR bros and to sassy sis too!
Chef

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”