Made a bbq mistake.

Food & beverages Discussions
CageyVeteran

Made a bbq mistake.

Post by CageyVeteran »

I normally find "small" full size briskets, normally Walmart has them for like $20-$25 bucks. The major grocery store called HEB has some that are "super trimmed" starting at $50 to $60! And all they do is trim the fat!
Anyway I couldn't find any small full briskets but noticed there were some portioned out briskets I got half a one for about $16. Thought they were for pot roast and ignored that it said "Corned Beef" on the packaging because the picture looked like pot roast. I throw it on the smoker for 5 hours, the time change came around lost that hour of sleep and got tired and decided to wrap it and put in the oven until it reached 200 degrees.
Oh man, it was crazy salty, tasted like ham but not quite, almost tasted corned beef hash flavor. I think it made me nauseous. Lesson learned.

Don't try and bbq anything that's already been flavored and cured in anything.
chef97

Re: Made a bbq mistake.

Post by chef97 »

CageyVeteran wrote:I normally find "small" full size briskets, normally Walmart has them for like $20-$25 bucks. The major grocery store called HEB has some that are "super trimmed" starting at $50 to $60! And all they do is trim the fat!
Anyway I couldn't find any small full briskets but noticed there were some portioned out briskets I got half a one for about $16. Thought they were for pot roast and ignored that it said "Corned Beef" on the packaging because the picture looked like pot roast. I throw it on the smoker for 5 hours, the time change came around lost that hour of sleep and got tired and decided to wrap it and put in the oven until it reached 200 degrees.
Oh man, it was crazy salty, tasted like ham but not quite, almost tasted corned beef hash flavor. I think it made me nauseous. Lesson learned.

Don't try and bbq anything that's already been flavored and cured in anything.

Bummer man, if you have leftovers maybe you can make some corned beef hash and eggs this weekend's breakfast for your family.... Just cube up the meat and add onions and potatoes and fry it all up in a skillet.... When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade...... :) We have high temps in the 60's this weekend so, I'll be ready to fire up my BBQ this weekend too....
Chef
Peat56

Re: Made a bbq mistake.

Post by Peat56 »

I love good corned beef! But, yeah I guess you just made a mistake. No big deal, I have done worse.

Nothing like a nice brisket done low and slow. I have never done one in a smoker as I don't have one. But I have done them indirectly for many, many hours.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”