Cheesecake???

Food & beverages Discussions
CageyVeteran

Cheesecake???

Post by CageyVeteran »

I've heard cheesecake is difficult to make, something about water baths and stuff.

I went to The Cheesecake Factory a while ago and then saw some cheesecake at the grocery store. I saw a few videos online on how to make cheesecake and it was nothing that I expected.

I'm going to try and make one, if edible I'll take it to work.
chef97

Re: Cheesecake???

Post by chef97 »

CageyVeteran wrote:I've heard cheesecake is difficult to make, something about water baths and stuff.

I went to The Cheesecake Factory a while ago and then saw some cheesecake at the grocery store. I saw a few videos online on how to make cheesecake and it was nothing that I expected.

I'm going to try and make one, if edible I'll take it to work.
Thankfully I have a talented baker working for me and she makes some amazing cheese cakes, I can post a recipe or two here if you like.... A water bath is simply placing your pan of cheesecake batter in a pan of water then bake or a small pan of water on the rack below your pan of cheesecake batter then you bake on low heat like 315 F .... The small pan of water on the rack below can work just as well..... If you're into the idea I can even post a recipe for vegan cheese cake made w/ silken tofu instead of cream cheese.... :D
Chef
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

chef97 wrote:
Thankfully I have a talented baker working for me and she makes some amazing cheese cakes, I can post a recipe or two here if you like.... A water bath is simply placing your pan of cheesecake batter in a pan of water then bake or a small pan of water on the rack below your pan of cheesecake batter then you bake on low heat like 315 F .... The small pan of water on the rack below can work just as well..... If you're into the idea I can even post a recipe for vegan cheese cake made w/ silken tofu instead of cream cheese.... :D
If you don't mind Chef, could you post some recipes? I think I cooked too high of a heat, it looked terrible but tasted pretty good. I asked a friend at work how to make different flavored cheesecake, I asked if I used different flavored cream cheese. She didn't know.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

CageyVeteran wrote:
chef97 wrote:
If you don't mind Chef, could you post some recipes? I think I cooked too high of a heat, it looked terrible but tasted pretty good. I asked a friend at work how to make different flavored cheesecake, I asked if I used different flavored cream cheese. She didn't know.
Stand by for down load..... :) Actually, I'm at home already and I'll post both the vegan and regular cheesecake recipes on this thread from work..... BTW, I've really enjoyed your posts on boxing in the reg forum and it's been nice to see you on the chat for the fight's live in Astor's Living Room too from time to time.........
Chef
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Vegan cheesecake recipe, I use fresh raspberries as they are low in sugar but you can use fresh strawberries to garnish too...

Ingredients
Crust:
Cooking spray
18 sheets graham crackers (2 sleeves)
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons vegan margarine
Filling:
1 1/2 pounds extra firm silken tofu, strained
1 pound vegan cream cheese
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice plus 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (about 2 lemons)
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice plus 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest (about 1 orange)
Topping:
2 cups fresh raspberries
ADD CHECKED ITEMS TO GROCERY LIST
Directions
Special equipment: a 9-inch springform pan

Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.

For the crust: Spray a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Add the graham crackers and sugar to the bowl of a food processor and process until fine crumbs form (you should have about 1 1/2 cups). Add the margarine and 2 tablespoons water to a measuring cup and melt in the microwave; add to the crumbs and blend until the mixture looks like wet sand. Pour the crumb mixture into the prepared pan; press it evenly into the bottom and use a measuring cup to smooth it evenly about 2 inches up the side. Bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool completely on a rack.

For the filling: Add the tofu to the cleaned bowl of the food processor and process until smooth and very fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the vegan cream cheese, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, lemon juice and zest and orange juice and zest and process again until smooth and combined, 2 minutes more. Pour onto the cooled crust.

Before you bake the cheesecake place a pan of water on the rack below, then bake until the outside is set but the center is still a bit loose, about 1 hour. Turn off the oven and leave the cake in for 30 minutes more. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool completely on a rack; cover and refrigerate overnight. About 30 minutes prior to serving, remove the cake from the refrigerator (if it weeps overnight, gently dab the top with a clean paper towel). Remove the springform ring, top the cheesecake with fresh raspberries and serve..... As always, happy cooking!
Chef
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Classic cheesecake recipe
Ingredients
Crust:
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Pinch fine salt
Filling:
2 pounds cream cheese, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups sour cream
6 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
Topping:
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
Berries, optional
ADD CHECKED ITEMS TO GROCERY LIST
Directions
Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 325 degrees F.

For the crust: Melt the butter, covered in the microwave, in a medium microwave safe bowl, or a saucepan. Brush a 9-inch springform pan with some of the butter. Stir the remaining butter together with the crumbs, sugar, and salt. Press the crumb mixture over the bottom of the pan, taking care to get the crust evenly into the edges. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool. Wrap the bottom and up the sides of the pan with foil and put in a roasting pan.

For the filling: Beat the cream cheese on medium speed with a hand-held mixer until smooth. Add the granulated sugar and beat just until light and fluffy, scraping the sides of the bowl and beaters as needed. Slowly beat in the sour cream, then eggs, vanilla and both citrus zests; take care not to over whip. Pour into the cooled crust.

*Water bath method: Bring a medium saucepan or kettle of water to a boil. Gently place the roasting pan in the oven (don't pull the rack out of the oven). Pour in enough hot water to come about halfway up the side of the springform pan. Bake the cheesecake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes---the outside of the cake will set but the center will still be loose.

For the topping: Stir together the sour cream, confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Spread over the top of the cooked cheesecake and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Turn the oven off, cook the cheesecake in the residual heat in the oven for about1 hour. This gentle finish minimizes the risk of the dreaded crack in your cheesecake.

Remove cheesecake from the roasting pan to a rack. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Bring cheesecake to room temperature 30 minutes before serving. Remove the springform ring. Dip a knife in warm water, wipe dry before slicing each piece. Serve with fresh berries, if desired.... You can make a simple fresh berries sauce by sprinkle sugar on your berries as to coat evenly then cover and refrigerate over night and serve w/ your cheesecake.... As always, happy cooking!
Chef
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

ugh, Vegans

although, I'm sure it tastes delicious.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

Thanks chef appreciate it!

Also, thank you for your kind words.

I like this recipe better cuz the last one called for less sugar.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

Made a cheesecake following your recipe. I think I might add more sugar, or maybe I should've used granulated sugar cuz I used confectioner sugar; it tasted a little bland.

I have two smaller pans, wonder what measurements I need for those. I'll try because 9 inches is kind of big (that's what she said!).
chef97

Post by chef97 »

CageyVeteran wrote:Made a cheesecake following your recipe. I think I might add more sugar, or maybe I should've used granulated sugar cuz I used confectioner sugar; it tasted a little bland.

I have two smaller pans, wonder what measurements I need for those. I'll try because 9 inches is kind of big (that's what she said!).
I think it's awesome you took the time to make the cheesecake recipe.... As for the sugar content you can add more to suit your tastes without compromising the recipe.... Or, you can have a sauce to go with the cheesecake.... It can be as simple as fresh strawberries & whipped cream or cherry pie filling works good too.... Thanks for sharing your experiences on the food and drink forum and as always, Happy Cooking Cagey! :D
Chef

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”