4 Fish We’re Overeating and What to Eat Instead

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

Re: 4 Fish We’re Overeating and What to Eat Instead

Post by chef97 »

Very interesting, thanks for sharing this info....
Chef
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

It would seem like we should be trying to invent sustainable and non-toxic methods of farming fish.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Burning the candle at both ends, it's what humans are good at nowadays...... It's the fuck the next guy "attitude" all the way... Example: We do a food bar once a week in my retail cafe' where folks can pay one price and can have all you can put on your plate or to go box... Last week it was pasta bar and one dish is a nice baked spaghetti marinara that's topped w/ fresh mozzarella & Parmesan.... I swear every other person scraps the cheese off most of the pan of pasta leaving no cheese for the next guy.... Coincidence? Maybe it's just a entitlement mentality, "I got this coming to me so I'm taking mine" oh and fuck the next guy too.... :)
Chef
wimpy

Post by wimpy »

Shrimp are fish? :shock:
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin
wimpy

Post by wimpy »

Could just be the eco reporter who doesn't know what he's talking about.
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin
athenian

Post by athenian »

Anyone listen to the TED? Curious what alternative fish he suggests we eat...didn't mention it in the article.

I've been eating a lot of seafood lately so I am curious.
athenian

Post by athenian »

stenchasaurous wrote:
athenian wrote:Anyone listen to the TED? Curious what alternative fish he suggests we eat...didn't mention it in the article.

I've been eating a lot of seafood lately so I am curious.
Monterey Bay Aquarium's http://www.Seafoodwatch.org website has printable guides for different regions of the US.
Sweet. Thanks.
wimpy

Post by wimpy »

stenchasaurous wrote:He's talking about seafood consumption and sustainability, not having an in-depth conversation about phylogeny with professional marine biologists. Quibbling over him casually referring to both actinopterygians and malacostracans as "fish" is focusing on the irrelevant. I'm sure he knows a shrimp is biologically different than a cod given that he's over the age of 5, and he probably expects his readers and listeners to know that as well and not get caught up in it.
Apparently not.

― Benjamin Franklin
wimpy

Post by wimpy »

stenchasaurous wrote:Apparently not what?
I'm talking about the writer of the report on the ECO website you linked. As elementary as it may be, this eco-warrior doesn't seem to understand that shrimp is not a fish. If he does, he's a crappy writer and should take up another hobby. Do you think he gets paid to write for the site?

― Benjamin Franklin
wimpy

Post by wimpy »

stenchasaurous wrote:You do realize the book the article is discussing is titled "Four Fish", right? Did you read the article or watch the video or just get caught up on the shrimp thing and go no further?

Probably, and this is just a wild guess, but probably it was titled that because it's catchier sounding with the alliteration, so I'm guessing, again just a wild, crazy, out there guess, that when the publishers approved that title, they were OK with including shrimp as well, rather than naming it "3 Fish and a Crustacean" or something like that.

Given that the book was well reviewed by the New York Times and Los Angeles Times, and is now a bestseller, I'm also going go out on one last crazy limb here and guess that yes, the author of the book was paid for writing it, and that despite casually referring to shrimp as "fish" in the title of his book, has miraculously not been condemned to self-publishing for free.
I didn't read the book so I wouldn't assume what the book was about. I read most of the article and some of the video. Maybe it's just me but I would have used a different title. Anyway, my question was about the reporter on the Eco website. The overall quality of the report was lacking, IMO.

― Benjamin Franklin
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

stenchasaurous wrote:If I was interested in critiquing the actual journalist, I'd have maybe pointed out that the book isn't new but was written in 2010, but that would have been irrelevant to the overall subject also. If somebody wanted to make a thread discussing online journalism quality, they're more than welcome, although I'd say the food forum isn't the appropriate location.

Any thoughts on the actual subject?

I don't like fish.
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

stenchasaurous wrote:
deadlything wrote:
stenchasaurous wrote:If I was interested in critiquing the actual journalist, I'd have maybe pointed out that the book isn't new but was written in 2010, but that would have been irrelevant to the overall subject also. If somebody wanted to make a thread discussing online journalism quality, they're more than welcome, although I'd say the food forum isn't the appropriate location.

Any thoughts on the actual subject?

I don't like fish.
What about shrimp?
Nope they're fish.

Fried shrimp is alright it taste like chicken.
WhyteHypeBG
TTR Suppl. Challenge #10 Super Champion

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

Shrimp is for pansies. Real men eat caviar.

Don't forget that Scrotes Day is April 30th!
Sing All Day, Drink and Sing All Night!
WhyteHypeBG

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

stenchasaurous wrote:Pfft, those are eggs, not fish.
Semantics. I call them unborn fish.

hoboknives

Post by hoboknives »

wimpy wrote: As elementary as it may be, this eco-warrior doesn't seem to understand that shrimp is not a fish.
between "eco-warrior" and "social justice warrior" you'd think being a warrior was a bad thing.
WhyteHypeBG

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

stenchasaurous wrote:
WhyteHypeBG wrote:
stenchasaurous wrote:Pfft, those are eggs, not fish.
Semantics. I call them unborn fish.
Hmm. So, speaking philosophically, would any matter that a fish could eat be "potential fish"? This, taking this even further, since all matter is made of elements, and elements can become other elements either by fission or fusion, then all matter is in fact, fish.
I could buy that.

wimpy

Post by wimpy »

hoboknives wrote:
wimpy wrote: As elementary as it may be, this eco-warrior doesn't seem to understand that shrimp is not a fish.
between "eco-warrior" and "social justice warrior" you'd think being a warrior was a bad thing.
It's could be a good thing, as long as they know their fish.

― Benjamin Franklin
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

I thought this thread was about cunnilingus.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
RimmyJice

Post by RimmyJice »

:lol:

Glad I was bored and rummaging around the site today, this thread is a fucking gem.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

A shrimp is a crustacean and like most they have it's skeletal system on the outside of their bodies..... A lot of the fish and shrimp in this thread we eat today are farm raised which could be harmful to the environment too..... Growing up in San Francisco my family ate fish (mostly salmon, halibut & filet of sole), crab, lobster and shrimp several time a week.... Now all those I mentioned are so expensive you only eat the stuff on special occasions.......
Chef

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”