Feast of the Seven Fishes

Food & beverages Discussions
hardcorebee24

Re: Feast of the Seven Fishes

Post by hardcorebee24 »

You guys don't call them "Cold Cuts"? My friends in college from CT called it "Lunch Meat".

Anyway, we did it a little different this year. We did some shrimp pizza for an appetizer along with the standard anti pasta of cold cuts, italian tuna, anchovies and capers, herring and sardines. seafood salad (calamari, squngilli, shrimp etc), grilled octopus etc. This year my mom had the pork store make us crab and lobster ravioli which she tossed in a shallot based creamy tomato sauce. She also made baked shrimp scampi that was bangin. So, we didn't do zuppa di pesce or bacala this year. Not even mussels fra diavolo. Overall it was good but next year im making some more traditional food for Christmas eve.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

stenchasaurous wrote:If I ever come to DC or New York, I want some legit homemade Italian food. Italian and Jewish deli restaurants are probably Austin's weakest major cuisine types IMO.
You don't go to Texas for that kind of grub. Our Mexican food here sucks compared to yours as does our BBQ (but it's improving). IMO, and this is going to get my New York card revoked, Boston's North End had the most consistent traditional Italian American food in the North East. Arthur Ave in the Bronx might be better but for a full experience I'd take The North End. We still have good restaurants here but Little Italy is basically Chinatown now.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

stenchasaurous wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
stenchasaurous wrote:If I ever come to DC or New York, I want some legit homemade Italian food. Italian and Jewish deli restaurants are probably Austin's weakest major cuisine types IMO.
You don't go to Texas for that kind of grub. Our Mexican food here sucks compared to yours as does our BBQ (but it's improving). IMO, and this is going to get my New York card revoked, Boston's North End had the most consistent traditional Italian American food in the North East. Arthur Ave in the Bronx might be better but for a full experience I'd take The North End. We still have good restaurants here but Little Italy is basically Chinatown now.
I'm expecting you or duder to make my Italian food. I'll buy ingredients. :lol: Houston actually has an amazing Jewish deli called Kenny and Ziggy's. http://www.kennyandziggys.com/menus/K&Zrestmenu14.pdf

Anyone who goes there should hit it up.
No doubt!!! Good fishing up here too. Found a great, cheap charter this year. I still have some striper in the freezer from it.

I've think I've seen that place Kenny and Ziggy's on one of the food channels this year.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:You guys don't call them "Cold Cuts"? My friends in college from CT called it "Lunch Meat".

Anyway, we did it a little different this year. We did some shrimp pizza for an appetizer along with the standard anti pasta of cold cuts, italian tuna, anchovies and capers, herring and sardines. seafood salad (calamari, squngilli, shrimp etc), grilled octopus etc. This year my mom had the pork store make us crab and lobster ravioli which she tossed in a shallot based creamy tomato sauce. She also made baked shrimp scampi that was bangin. So, we didn't do zuppa di pesce or bacala this year. Not even mussels fra diavolo. Overall it was good but next year im making some more traditional food for Christmas eve.
The octopus. Mmm. That was missing this year.

Also, I want the lobster ravioli over that sauce. Damn you. Sounds good.
The sauce was good not great. I liked your spread better. :D

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”