Iranian Koobideh Kabab

Food & beverages Discussions
butaloh
TTR Doctor

Iranian Koobideh Kabab

Post by butaloh »

It's sort of an Iranian staple food :lol: My dad used to have impromptu Kabab nights a few times a month when I was a kid, so I try to do the same.

2 Lb fatty ground lamb
1 Large white onion finely minced
2 Tsp salt
1 Tsp black pepper
1 Tsp paprika
1/2 Tsp Sumac

-Mix it all together and need into a uniform consistency.
-Lat stand 15 min in the fridge
-Separate into baseball sized balls on parchment paper
-Wet your hand and roll each ball into a cylinder
-Work it onto a broad metal skewer
-Grill over hot coals, far enough to brown the surface without drying them out

Serve with white rice with butter cubes melted into it, and grilled tomato and onion (on different skewers).
Accompany with doogh, a drink made with sour plain yogurt, sparkling water, salt and mint.

Tehran in the winter.
hardcorebee24

Re: Iranian Koobideh Kabab

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Looks awesome. Great step by step and pics. I think I'm going to make this Saturday night. Did you make the naan yourself? Looks really good.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
athenian

Post by athenian »

Looks amazing....But what if I don't have those giant fucking swords?
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

I'll be having some of those in a couple weeks at our holiday party. Our company's owner and founder is Iranian. :D
chef97

Post by chef97 »

butaloh wrote:It's sort of an Iranian staple food :lol: My dad used to have impromptu Kabab nights a few times a month when I was a kid, so I try to do the same.

2 Lb fatty ground lamb
1 Large white onion finely minced
2 Tsp salt
1 Tsp black pepper
1 Tsp paprika
1/2 Tsp Sumac
-Mix it all together and need into a uniform consistency.
-Lat stand 15 min in the fridge
-Separate into baseball sized balls on parchment paper
-Wet your hand and roll each ball into a cylinder
-Work it onto a broad metal skewer
-Grill over hot coals, far enough to brown the surface without drying them out

Serve with white rice with butter cubes melted into it, and grilled tomato and onion (on different skewers).
Accompany with doogh, a drink made with sour plain yogurt, sparkling water, salt and mint.

Awesome Dr. butaloh! Thanks for sharing your recipe and pics.... What is
Sumac? Can there be a sub if we can't find that ingredient?

Thanks again!
Chef
butaloh
TTR Doctor

Post by butaloh »

I did not make the naan, I bought it.

The broad metal skewers can be found at most Iranian/Middle-Estern grocers, along with Sumac and quality white rice.

Sumac is a slightly sour-salty seasoning used in Iranian cooking, mostly for garnishing or prepping grilled meats[/u]. The type we used, which we actually call Somaagh in Farsi, is this sort of dark purple powder from the dried fruits of Sumac plants.

Tehran in the winter.
butaloh
TTR Doctor

Post by butaloh »

stenchasaurous wrote:Did you have a favorite Persian and/or other Middle Eastern restaurant in Austin?
Believe it or not my favorite was actually a Kabab shop in the food court at Northcross Mall. That place had amazing food! Not sure if it's still there.

Otherwise I never really found a Persian restaurant that I liked up until 2006 when I moved away. There's this one up north called Alborz. They were decent I guess.

Tehran in the winter.
butaloh
TTR Doctor

Post by butaloh »

stenchasaurous wrote:
butaloh wrote:
stenchasaurous wrote:Did you have a favorite Persian and/or other Middle Eastern restaurant in Austin?
Believe it or not my favorite was actually a Kabab shop in the food court at Northcross Mall. That place had amazing food! Not sure if it's still there.

Otherwise I never really found a Persian restaurant that I liked up until 2006 when I moved away. There's this one up north called Alborz. They were decent I guess.
Yeah, been to Alborz; it's OK. Don't know what the hell is in Northcross Mall these days besides a couple places. Was there a mini-Walmart yet there when you were here? Lot of good memories at that mall circa 1991-1993 during my middleschool years. Iceskating rink in the center, shitty movie theater, video game arcade, food court, a real live old-school pet store with puppies, kittens etc. in tiny carpeted windowed boxes along the wall, baseball card store, coin store, pipe and tobacco store, shitty book store, a cafeteria style buffet, a local sporting goods store, etc. etc. Don't have places like that any more.
I don't think I remember the Walmart, but I definitely remember the Iceskating rink. And then there was Westgate 'mall' :lol:

Actually remembered another place that was better than Alborz, if it's still there. It was called Shandeez, way up off Anderson Mill I think.

Tehran in the winter.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

butaloh wrote:I did not make the naan, I bought it.

The broad metal skewers can be found at most Iranian/Middle-Estern grocers, along with Sumac and quality white rice.

Sumac is a slightly sour-salty seasoning used in Iranian cooking, mostly for garnishing or prepping grilled meats. The type we used, which we actually call Somaagh in Farsi, is this sort of dark purple powder from the dried fruits of Sumac plants.
Cool, 8) I'm going to check it out during my next culinary endeavor..... Thanks again Dr. butaloh.....
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Finally something to do with Sumac!!

I always go each week to a local shop to buy fresh pita, feta, falafels, tajini,dates.... and used to see this sumac stuff... i'm always intrigued when it comes to food... asked the old man at the cash who isn't too volubile and didn't get much out of him.

Thanks a lot, i will have to try that. Really appreciate you took the time to share this stuff, it's right in my alley (trying new stuff and i would eat that with a home made garlic mayo and some fresh pitas, freshly cut marinated and fresh vegetables...)

thanks
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Last weekend I tried this recipe but I just formed them into small patties and put them on some bamboo skewers as I finally found the spice blend ingredient Sumac listed in the recipe we had them w/ Basmati rice and grilled Asparagus which is in season here right now..... This recipe will have your taste buds dancing with the unique flavor profiles.... Very cool, and a shout out to Dr. butaloh who hit a HR by sharing this recipe..... 8)
Chef
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

Two questions.

Does the meat come off the skewer easily?

Do you need flame or is heat good enough?
chef97

Post by chef97 »

CageyVeteran wrote:Two questions.

Does the meat come off the skewer easily?

Do you need flame or is heat good enough?
1. Yes, prob because of the fat content in the ground lamb...
2. I used my outdoor gas grill and got the charred affect depicted in the pics provided by butaloh, but I'll bet you could set you oven to broil and it would work out just fine w/ similar results.... A side note is there's nothing like the taste of charred mammal flesh.... :) Let us know if you try the recipe CV....

Thanks!
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

I have to do this one... just rarely see grinded lamb because i don't go to meat shops... mainly buy the little meat i eat in groceries.
babak

Post by babak »

its the fucking best
If we fight for money, I’ll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I’ll stop hitting you when I feel like it.” - rickson gracie
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

When I lived in Turkey I'm pretty sure they gave me raw ground lamb. As a snack it's eaten with grape leaves and bread in a meal.

Amazing food. Instead of an ice cream man, there is a guy that yells 'baklava!' with a cart behind him.
wimpy

Post by wimpy »

Ate at the food carts in Portland this weekend and had a version of Koobideh. It was a mix of ground beef and lamb. It included the seasoned roasted tomatoes and a cucumber/dill yogurt sauce. It was outstanding.

We also ate at a Vietnamese Restaurant and had their Luc Lac dish. Also outstanding.

The next day (yesterday) we ate at a Cuban restaurant. I had a Miami version of the Cuban Sandwich with a croquetas de jamón in it. It came with tostones (fried plantains), similar to fries. They also had a plantain sauce that is like a ketchup.
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin
chef97

Post by chef97 »

wimpy wrote:Ate at the food carts in Portland this weekend and had a version of Koobideh. It was a mix of ground beef and lamb. It included the seasoned roasted tomatoes and a cucumber/dill yogurt sauce. It was outstanding.

We also ate at a Vietnamese Restaurant and had their Luc Lac dish. Also outstanding.

The next day (yesterday) we ate at a Cuban restaurant. I had a Miami version of the Cuban Sandwich with a croquetas de jamón in it. It came with tostones (fried plantains), similar to fries. They also had a plantain sauce that is like a ketchup.
Sounds amazing wimpy! There's nothing like a Cuban Sandwich and tostones then wash it all down w/ a Mango milk shake.... :D And and a suggestion to all TTR members ; if you get the chance go and check out the city of Portland.... The local live Rock/Blues club's music scene as well as the diversity of the food is more awesome than words can describe...... 8)
Chef

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”