Brisket

Food & beverages Discussions
CageyVeteran

Brisket

Post by CageyVeteran »

I've cooked a few briskets only three have come out decent. And I don't remember how many total I've cooked but three I can remember that came out good enough.

This weekend I'm going to make another. I was at the store and saw a small size brisket and thought what the hell. If it comes out ok I'll post pics.
CageyVeteran

Re: Brisket

Post by CageyVeteran »

Size matters lol.

Took longer than small ones I've made. It came out ok, not really satisfied with it. I should've trimmed more fat, think I let the fire get too low at times. Tasted a little like pot roast. But it looked ok, nice smoke ring. Also, a little bland in flavor, need to use more flavoring in my injection.

I cheated, smoked it for 12 hours then threw it in the oven until it reached 180. My thermometer must be off cuz brisket tasted slightly on the over cooked side.
Attachments
Brisket.jpg
Brisket.jpg (10.17 KiB) Viewed 3138 times
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Looks pretty awesome to me CV, I'll bet it was tasty too... 8)
Chef
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

stenchasaurous wrote:What sort of smoker and wood do you use?

I have one of the old oklahoma joe smokers i think they're called. offset stick burner too.

I like using mesquite wood. but i ran out of wood chips and regular logs. so mostly charcoal.
CageyVeteran

Post by CageyVeteran »

chef97 wrote:Looks pretty awesome to me CV, I'll bet it was tasty too... 8)
thanks for trying to cheer me up
i wasn't very happy with the turn out that's why i didn't go all out with instructions and pics.

but i think because of the smoke while i was cooking it it didn't taste good. a day or two later it actually had some smokey flavor to it.

you have any pointers? I'm thinking about keeping it to the smaller ones, this big one was a beast.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

CageyVeteran wrote:
chef97 wrote:Looks pretty awesome to me CV, I'll bet it was tasty too... 8)
thanks for trying to cheer me up
i wasn't very happy with the turn out that's why i didn't go all out with instructions and pics.

but i think because of the smoke while i was cooking it it didn't taste good. a day or two later it actually had some smokey flavor to it.

you have any pointers? I'm thinking about keeping it to the smaller ones, this big one was a beast.
I have some dry and wet rub recipes on this forum and the rub should be applied to the meat at least 24 hours prior to cooking... And the only other pointer I have for smoking meats is "Low & Slow" low heat source and slow as in it takes at least 8 and as many as 12 hours smoking/cooking time depending on the size of the roasts.... And as always, happy cooking! :D
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

so how many days before you started to get stomach burns? :lol:

I would abuse that thing till there would be no more lol... just like when i cook big hams

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”