Anyone grow stuff inside during the fall/winter?

Food & beverages Discussions
athenian

Anyone grow stuff inside during the fall/winter?

Post by athenian »

The amount of basil and cilantro I consume is probably unhealthy. I don't want my kitchen to be void of it for the next few months. Anyone grow this shit inside of have advice on how to? Should I get special light bulbs? Will that work?
chef97

Re: Anyone grow stuff inside during the fall/winter?

Post by chef97 »

athenian wrote:The amount of basil and cilantro I consume is probably unhealthy. I don't want my kitchen to be void of it for the next few months. Anyone grow this shit inside of have advice on how to? Should I get special light bulbs? Will that work?
I'm actually going to try and grow some herbs this winter indoors..... I have made a small investment in an indoor grow system... I'll let you know how it goes.... I've had good success growing out doors for years but this year I've had the best year ever for my very own salsa garden... The tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, garlic & cilantro all came from my garden.... The only thing I need from the store was salt and fresh lemon to finish my salsas...... I have different recipes here in the food and drink forum for fresh and roasted salsas....
Chef
athenian

Post by athenian »

chef97 wrote:
athenian wrote:The amount of basil and cilantro I consume is probably unhealthy. I don't want my kitchen to be void of it for the next few months. Anyone grow this shit inside of have advice on how to? Should I get special light bulbs? Will that work?
I'm actually going to try and grow some herbs this winter indoors..... I have made a small investment in an indoor grow system... I'll let you know how it goes.... I've had good success growing out doors for years but this year I've had the best year ever for my very own salsa garden... The tomatoes, jalapenos, onions, garlic & cilantro all came from my garden.... The only thing I need from the store was salt and fresh lemon to finish my salsas...... I have different recipes here in the food and drink forum for fresh and roasted salsas....
Cool...all I am doing is basil, cilantro and mint...bought some special light bulbs and will use those...hopefully it works...next year i need to quadruple the amount of basil i grow andmake tons of pesto and freeze it to use till the next year. I am a few years away from an indoor grow system but it's definitely something I will consider trying. Need to look at some of your recipes too..thanks
chef97

Post by chef97 »

athenian wrote:
chef97 wrote:
Cool...all I am doing is basil, cilantro and mint...bought some special light bulbs and will use those...hopefully it works...next year i need to quadruple the amount of basil i grow andmake tons of pesto and freeze it to use till the next year. I am a few years away from an indoor grow system but it's definitely something I will consider trying. Need to look at some of your recipes too..thanks
Cool, cooking w/ fresh herbs is a healthy way to add a lot of flavor to foods w/out adding salt or fat.... I'm working on a cilantro pesto recipe w/ real simple ingredients of fresh cilantro, olive oil, garlic, Parmesan cheese & almonds... To make it vegan or totally plant based just use vegan Parmesan cheese, it's made w/ soy and is not that bad... lol
Chef
athenian

Post by athenian »

I made some unbelievable pesto pasta last week...sun dried tomatoea, feta cheese, lots of pesto, tri colored pasta...out of this world. I will share soon.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Mint shoukd work but the other two will have problems to keep up with what you trim imo. Minth continues to grow here even with snow on it.... Id like for specific strands for ultimate results

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”