TTR Official vegetarian/vegan thread

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

TTR Official vegetarian/vegan thread

Post by chef97 »

The hospital where I work at now is heavy into healthy cooking for not only Patients but guests and staff too.... So, I have been developing some vegetarian and vegan recipes.... I know that Astor and his better half are eating less meat nowadays so, if guys are interested I can post some of my new recipes here.... I will start with a vegan Split Pea soup recipe but please share your vegan or vegetarian recipes on this thread too.... This recipe has simple ingredients and the great thing about soups is once you start it almost cooks itself....

Ingredients:

1/3 cup olive oil
1 large onion, finely diced
2 celery stalks, finely diced
2 carrots, finely diced
1 -pound bag split peas, rinsed and picked through
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
2 quarts vegetarian soup base or stock or water, or combination
1/2 teaspoon of dry Rosemary
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup smart balance butter substitute

Directions:

In a large saucepan add olive oil, saute onion, celery and carrots over medium-high heat. Add peas and cover with stock by a couple inches add liquid smoke and Rosemary. Bring to a simmer and cook covered about 1 hour stirring occasionally until soup is thick and peas have almost disintegrated but not quite then finish soup by stirring in the butter sub. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper and I usually add a lot of fresh ground black pepper to mine but not everybody likes that...... Anyways, as always Happy Cooking!

Chef's notes: The dietitian I work w/ has a program that when I give her the recipe she can print the nutrient data so when she gets it to me I will post that info here too.....
Chef
chef97

Re: TTR Official vegetarian/vegan thread

Post by chef97 »

Grilling season is right around the corner how about some grilled Eggplant w/ Balsamic vinaigrette? It was a rhetorical question.... :D

Ingredients

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 large Eggplant ends cut sliced length wise about 1/2 inch thick
1/2 cup veg broth
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
1 tablespoon sugar

Directions

Whisk the vinegar, mustard, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt, sugar and pepper in small bowl to blend. Combine the vinaigrette and eggplant slices in a large resealable plastic bag; seal the bag and toss to coat. Refrigerate, turning the eggplant pieces occasionally, for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day for best results.

Some times I use charcoal and sometimes I use my gas grill ; preheat the grill to med high heat. Remove eggplant from the bag and arrange the pieces on a hot grill. Grill the eggplant about 10 min on each side ; transfer to a serving platter then sprinkle the lemon zest and parsley over the grilled eggplant, and serve hot or at room temperature......

Chef's notes: You can also sub boneless skinless chicken breast for the eggplant but you'd have to increase the cooking time to 16-18 min per side. Min internal temp should be 165 or when pierced w/ a knife juices run clear.... Boneless skinless chicken breast is another healthy option yet full of flavor.... Anyways, as always Happy Cooking!
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Mylene made me discover a local tofu and coe company producing organic tofu and has been since the 70s... It really made me love the product because they offer flavored and marinated tofu.. some are EXCELLENT... i buy their "hamburger" patties , mushroom flavored... i can eat them right out of the pack... they are sooooo good... tastes like my grandma's meat loaf... i eat it all sorts of ways... in mustard toasted sandwiches... straight out of the pack... in the oven so the oily marinade crisps the outside, then chopped on top of a salad... in hamburgers... VERY good

I recommend looking out for local producers and trying out their product. if you go on spot, they'll often give you products
chef97

Post by chef97 »

the13r wrote:Mylene made me discover a local tofu and coe company producing organic tofu and has been since the 70s... It really made me love the product because they offer flavored and marinated tofu.. some are EXCELLENT... i buy their "hamburger" patties , mushroom flavored... i can eat them right out of the pack... they are sooooo good... tastes like my grandma's meat loaf... i eat it all sorts of ways... in mustard toasted sandwiches... straight out of the pack... in the oven so the oily marinade crisps the outside, then chopped on top of a salad... in hamburgers... VERY good

I recommend looking out for local producers and trying out their product. if you go on spot, they'll often give you products
Cool, a lady that works for me in the bake shop makes an amazing vegan cheesecake using tofu... Tofu has all the protein and zero fat & cholesterol.... If you guys want I'll post the recipe..... :D
Chef
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Tofu? Just a little food for thought Image

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soy ... ve-effects
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Cagiva9 wrote:Tofu? Just a little food for thought Image

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soy ... ve-effects
LMAO I got man boobs well before I ever tried Soy/Tofu and eating it now hasn't had an adverse affect on little chef so I think I'm good.... Funny stuff though.... :D
Chef
J.J.Dillon
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ
TTR Challenge # 21 Champ

Post by J.J.Dillon »

Only time I like bean curd is in ma-po tofu...and it needs to be way spicy.

As for mushroom burgers, bring on the Quorn! :lol:

So Chef, you got an official Carnivore thread? :D
chef97

Post by chef97 »

J.J.Dillon wrote:Only time I like bean curd is in ma-po tofu...and it needs to be way spicy.

As for mushroom burgers, bring on the Quorn! :lol:

So Chef, you got an official Carnivore thread? :D

Good idea brother... As most of us here prefer charred mammal flesh to a bunch of veggies or Tofu.... :D
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

once a week i'll go to the baker for fresh bread and will stop the a libanese local shop where pita is made fresh. I used to go there when it opened... i was about 5 and recall watching one person who's job was to simply squash down the pita on the coveyer belt... because they get out of the oven almost in a ball full of air...

anyway i stop there to buy i pack of pita... since its bought at the "plant", it's real cheap... like a dollar for 5 big chewy fresh pitas... i also buy some feta there... my mom used to buy it there when i was little... she'd also buy olives... they have all kinds of feta and the canadian feta they make from cow milk is very cheap and great. 2,50$ for a block of feta they produce massively and sell in groceries for 5...

AND i also guy (the purpose of this post in this thread) the falafels they do... they'll sell 9 for about 4$... One supper per week, we eat wraps with falafels... so no meat... and we add all kind of cool stuff from home made mayos with twists, caramelized onions with mushrooms... fresh greens... pickles... jalapeno peppers... berry tomatoes... whatever you;d put in a wrap... with good feta and pitas... great easy suppers that don't mess up the kitchen too much ;-)

Otherwise a vegan supper we'll have weekly is the homemade pizzas...
chef97

Post by chef97 »

the13r wrote:once a week i'll go to the baker for fresh bread and will stop the a libanese local shop where pita is made fresh. I used to go there when it opened... i was about 5 and recall watching one person who's job was to simply squash down the pita on the coveyer belt... because they get out of the oven almost in a ball full of air...

anyway i stop there to buy i pack of pita... since its bought at the "plant", it's real cheap... like a dollar for 5 big chewy fresh pitas... i also buy some feta there... my mom used to buy it there when i was little... she'd also buy olives... they have all kinds of feta and the canadian feta they make from cow milk is very cheap and great. 2,50$ for a block of feta they produce massively and sell in groceries for 5...

AND i also guy (the purpose of this post in this thread) the falafels they do... they'll sell 9 for about 4$... One supper per week, we eat wraps with falafels... so no meat... and we add all kind of cool stuff from home made mayos with twists, caramelized onions with mushrooms... fresh greens... pickles... jalapeno peppers... berry tomatoes... whatever you;d put in a wrap... with good feta and pitas... great easy suppers that don't mess up the kitchen too much ;-)

Otherwise a vegan supper we'll have weekly is the homemade pizzas...

Do you use vegan cheese? I have found a brand name (daiya) vegan cheese that actually melts and stretches a bit when cooking and is a totally plant based.... Nothing beats real cheese though... :D
Chef

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”