any of you use deep fryers?

Food & beverages Discussions
athenian

any of you use deep fryers?

Post by athenian »

Last night I made fried chicken and an orange bernaise sauce for dipping. I have maybe had better fried chicken from 2 restaurants in my life. I will share recipe if requested. Looking forward to messing around with this thing.
wimpy

Re: any of you use deep fryers?

Post by wimpy »

Always interested in a new recipe.
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

never because of the odour it puts in the house... but apparently they have new ones with filters?

otherwise i'd plug it outside

I will usually fry stuff in a pan with peanut oil
athenian

Post by athenian »

Sage battered southern fried chicken breast with orange marmalade

for the Bernaise
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3 tbs mince shallot (yellow onion will suffice)
- 1/3 cup orange juice (from an orange)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1/2 tsp tarragon
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 clarified butter
salt and pepper

in a saute pan, reduce wine, vineger, shallots, juice, zest and tarragon to 2 tbs liquid..then let cool..place reduction in processor and blend.

With the processor running, add the egg yolks and slowly add clarified butter...taste for seasoning and adjust how you like (i load up on more zest and tarragon)

for the chicken
- 1/2 cup butter milk
- 1 cup flour
- SALT
- PEPPER
- 1/2 1sp dry mustard (optional...use chili powder if you want to spice it up a little)
- 1 tbs sage

soak chicken in butter milk for 1 hour at least

combine above ingredients, put chicken breats in the season flour..fry until ready

the amount of bernaise is probably for 4-6 people, but depends on how much sauce you want to use

No breadcrumbs in this recipe, but I swear, it is juicy as hell, and the bernaise is amazing. Soaking the chicken in buttermilk is KEY.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Sounds really good and I love the dipping sauce too athenian.... I have a fried chicken recipe too and I found that if you soak the chicken 24 hours prior to cooking the results can be even better.... But like you suggested at least one hour prior to frying.... As for Astor's comment on frying in-doors it can get pretty bad especially if you do it often... Because the flying grease adhears to dust and then it's a drag to clean up and that's where the odor comes in I think.... They make these outdoor deep fryers that you can hook up to your propane tank... I know Astor has a built in natural gas grill and if he has a burner on his patio too you can set a deep heavy bottom pot of oil and deep fry outside... :D Anyways, thanks for sharing your recipe athenian and I hope guys try it and give some feedback too...

Thanks again!
Chef
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

stenchasaurous wrote:Used to do turkeys but got tired of the clean-up. Best turkey I've ever had by far though.

By far the best way to cook Turkey (other than the clean up and threat of your house burning down) Best recipe I ever had was a Cajun rub.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”