Coconut Oil vs Olive Oil

Food & beverages Discussions
Worldbreaker

Coconut Oil vs Olive Oil

Post by Worldbreaker »

Which is the healthiest cooking oil of the 2?

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Vs

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Cagiva9

Re: Coconut Oil vs Olive Oil

Post by Cagiva9 »

Worldbreaker wrote:Which is the healthiest cooking oil of the 2?

Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

Vs

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Olive oil and it isn't really close but Coconut is real nice for your skin :D
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

Don't know..but Olive Oil would beat the dog shit out of Coconut Oil.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Might want to try avocado oil if you don't have a problem with the cost. I think I mentioned in another thread about ahi tuna, that it's a very good oil for high temp.
http://superfoodprofiles.com/avocado-oi ... il-cooking
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

NoPropaganda 253 wrote:Don't know..but Olive Oil would beat the dog shit out of Coconut Oil.
:D :D :D
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Extra Virgin Olive Oil has a low smoking point so it's not that good to cook with... I usually use regular olive oil to cook with and use evoo to make my salad dressing or marinades... I actually have never cooked with ev coconut oil before....
Chef
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

I use both. I'm following a sort of Paleo diet. Use Coconut for high heat, and evoo or oo to drizzle on fish or veggies.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Tomato Khan wrote:I use both. I'm following a sort of Paleo diet. Use Coconut for high heat, and evoo or oo to drizzle on fish or veggies.
I've heard some good things about that diet mostly lean meats, grains, nuts fruits and veggies right? But I'm half Italian so I need bread daily.... I try to limit to a slice 12 grain per day.... I miss authentic SF sourdough from Columbo or Parisian bakery in SF ; they make the best bread known to man.....
Chef
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Most extra virgin olive oil you'll find on supermarket shelves isn't even so.

http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/People ... -Gaea-exec

If you want even better health benefits than what olive oil offers, just take olive leaf as a supplement.

Stick with coconut oil. It's cheaper and more reliable with quality.
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

chef97 wrote:
Tomato Khan wrote:I use both. I'm following a sort of Paleo diet. Use Coconut for high heat, and evoo or oo to drizzle on fish or veggies.
I've heard some good things about that diet mostly lean meats, grains, nuts fruits and veggies right? But I'm half Italian so I need bread daily.... I try to limit to a slice 12 grain per day.... I miss authentic SF sourdough from Columbo or Parisian bakery in SF ; they make the best bread known to man.....
you got it. no processed food, no refined sugar, no flour/grain, no dairy.

Lots of veggies, fruit, nuts/seeds, and meats, fish, and eggs.

I love bread, cheese and pasta, so it makes it tough sometimes. I cheat all the time.

It's really helped my gut health. You WILL lose excess weight if you follow it strictly. I like it because there is no calorie counting. You eat as much as you want.
Presteezh
President Of Zab Nation

Post by Presteezh »

Tomato Khan wrote:
chef97 wrote:
you got it. no processed food, no refined sugar, no flour/grain, no dairy.

Lots of veggies, fruit, nuts/seeds, and meats, fish, and eggs.

I love bread, cheese and pasta, so it makes it tough sometimes. I cheat all the time.

It's really helped my gut health. You WILL lose excess weight if you follow it strictly. I like it because there is no calorie counting. You eat as much as you want.

Any good resources you can point to for paleo ( recipes mostly) I would like to try it out
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

often its not which is healthier but which has a higher temprature of smoking/oxyding... i often use peanut oil or grape seed oil for those reasons.

Mylene my GF often used cocnut oil. Just not a big fan personally... nothing beats the olive/butter mix... you get the butter flavour without the oxydation
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Shit posted before reading the replies and you guys are all talking about the smoking point... we got a lot of cooks on here lol
Canvas

Post by Canvas »

Presteezh wrote:
Any good resources you can point to for paleo ( recipes mostly) I would like to try it out
sorry I didn't see this until now. There are a LOT of paleo recipe sights and blogs. just google. There are also many many books at indigo.

here are some good places for recipes:

Mark's daily Apple.

nomnompaleo

elana's pantry

if you want a very simple explanation of Paleo you can read Nerd Fitness. There is a good, simple recipe for paleo spaghetti on that site too.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”