Chef, your take on organic food?

Food & beverages Discussions
yoloswaggy911

Chef, your take on organic food?

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

My brother has a huge hard on for everything organic. I was just wondering your opinion?
wimpy

Re: Chef, your take on organic food?

Post by wimpy »

It's probably better for you. Supply would increase is demand did. Cost would decease.
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Certain things I will not buy if they are not organic, berries, peanut butter, apples and potatoes are a few of them.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

yoloswaggy911 wrote:My brother has a huge hard on for everything organic. I was just wondering your opinion?
I'm sure there are a gazillion people that will swear by "organic" foods.... But I think at your local grocer or large food store chain this is a scam nothing more..... You "the consumer" know a good a good piece of produce especially when it is locally sourced..... Produce that is ripe, free from blemishes and at it's optimum freshness.... I don't need to pay 3-5 times the price for a sticker.... Thank you very much! :D
Chef
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

chef97 wrote:
yoloswaggy911 wrote:My brother has a huge hard on for everything organic. I was just wondering your opinion?
I'm sure there are a gazillion people that will swear by "organic" foods.... But I think at your local grocer or large food store chain this is a scam nothing more..... You "the consumer" know a good a good piece of produce especially when it is locally sourced..... Produce that is ripe, free from blemishes and at it's optimum freshness.... I don't need to pay 3-5 times the price for a sticker.... Thank you very much! :D
Free from blemishes or covered with poison...hmmmm, I think I'll take a few blemishes.

-also, it's not 3-5 times the price, that's a gross exaggeration :roll: .
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Cagiva9 wrote:
chef97 wrote:
Free from blemishes or covered with poison...hmmmm, I think I'll take a few blemishes.

Pesticides are a necessary evil when growing fruits/nuts and vegetables and even flowers and the good folks like myself that have a gardens that they tend know this very well.... A gazillion types of insects can invade and ruin your garden quick so some pesticides must be used... So, if you use some pesticides ; just stop using them along with any plant food(s) around 2 weeks before harvest. Also, there are natural pesticides too like Neem oil spray and or a bit of soap and water in a spray bottle... The soap and water only works when the insects are present the oil keeps them away but you have to keep using at least once a week or the insects will come back... Just be sure to wash your fruits and vegetables very well before cooking/consuming them and you'll be fine.... And I don't think I'm exaggerating some produce items like avocados... This week they are $4.99 each for organic at Safeway or at Food City they are 5 for $1.00... Granted those are a bit smaller but come'on man, I'm not making this stuff up....
Chef
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

chef97 wrote:
Cagiva9 wrote:
chef97 wrote:

Pesticides are a necessary evil when growing fruits/nuts and vegetables and even flowers and the good folks like myself that have a gardens that they tend know this very well.... A gazillion types of insects can invade and ruin your garden quick so some pesticides must be used... So, if you use some pesticides ; just stop using them along with any plant food(s) around 2 weeks before harvest. Also, there are natural pesticides too like Neem oil spray and or a bit of soap and water in a spray bottle... The soap and water only works when the insects are present the oil keeps them away but you have to keep using at least once a week or the insects will come back... Just be sure to wash your fruits and vegetables very well before cooking/consuming them and you'll be fine.... And I don't think I'm exaggerating some produce items like avocados... This week they are $4.99 each for organic at Safeway or at Food City they are 5 for $1.00... Granted those are a bit smaller but come'on man, I'm not making this stuff up....
You're a good guy Chef and you have a very informative forum here but I think this might make for a good thread one day in different forum (Intellectual or Pit). Till then sir, I respectfully disagree.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

You're a good guy Chef and you have a very informative forum here but I think this might make for a good thread one day in different forum (Intellectual or Pit). Till then sir, I respectfully disagree.

You pretty awesome your self man... I really enjoy reading some of your posts as you use facts and intellect to back up your opinions and not name calling and such.... Really what I meant was that true organic fruits and vegetables are mostly procured at Farmers Markets and are locally sourced.... Big food chains put these stickers on some items that are totally not worth it when the regular stuff looks just as good or better for less money....
Chef
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

chef97 wrote:
You pretty awesome your self man... I really enjoy reading some of your posts as you use facts and intellect to back up your opinions and not name calling and such.... Really what I meant was that true organic fruits and vegetables are mostly procured at Farmers Markets and are locally sourced.... Big food chains put these stickers on some items that are totally not worth it when the regular stuff looks just as good or better for less money....
You should have said that from jump street because until this last paragraph I almost choked reading your previous one. Thanks for the clarification.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
chef97

Post by chef97 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:
chef97 wrote:
You should have said that from jump street because until this last paragraph I almost choked reading your previous one. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm sure there are a gazillion people that will swear by "organic" foods.... But I think at your local grocer or large food store chain this is a scam nothing more..

I did......
Chef
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

I really do not want to hash this out in a forum that isn't intended for the purpose of this sort of argument. I'll just say that I still mostly disagree with the premise that big corporations have completely done an end around certification requirements for organic foods. If nothing else you can be assured that, today at least, if a product is labeled "Certfied Organic", it contains no Roundup saturated GMO products.

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott ... anic-fraud

This could change of course, given the degree to which Monsanto has infected the US Government.

(Addendum: this isn't a very complete list, it doesn't even include Clarence Thomas)
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Cagiva9 wrote:I really do not want to hash this out in a forum that isn't intended for the purpose of this sort of argument. I'll just say that I still mostly disagree with the premise that big corporations have completely done an end around certification requirements for organic foods. If nothing else you can be assured that, today at least, if a product is labeled "Certfied Organic", it contains no Roundup saturated GMO products.

http://www.motherjones.com/tom-philpott ... anic-fraud

This could change of course, given the degree to which Monsanto has infected the US Government.

(Addendum: this isn't a very complete list, it doesn't even include Clarence Thomas)
I stand by that statement. And I think Cornucopia is right to get the public fired up about the integrity of organic, and to pressure the USDA to stop stuffing the NOSB with Big Food flacks in disguise. But to jump from there to the conclusion that organic is a fraud, a mere marketing front for big food, is to go too far.

Good stuff Cagiva!
Chef
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

chef97 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
chef97 wrote:

I'm sure there are a gazillion people that will swear by "organic" foods.... But I think at your local grocer or large food store chain this is a scam nothing more..

I did......
By local grocer I was assuming you were referring to a mom and pop grocery store. They usually know the product that they're selling. I doubt they'd defraud their customers in that they're usually familiar with the customers and the community they're serving.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
chef97

Post by chef97 »

By local grocer I was assuming you were referring to a mom and pop grocery store. They usually know the product that they're selling. I doubt they'd defraud their customers in that they're usually familiar with the customers and the community they're serving.

Okay, cool I can see where guys could think that and sorry if I came across weird... Anyways, thanks for your contributions to the food and drink forum and I know you're like many TTR members that visit here in that you're a culnarian + a beer & wine connoisseur ..... And with that food discussions can get heated even with our own friends and families because we all buy/cook/eat and critique foods & services and we know what we like..... To me, it's all good when it comes to food..... :D

As always, happy cooking!
Chef
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

chef97 wrote:By local grocer I was assuming you were referring to a mom and pop grocery store. They usually know the product that they're selling. I doubt they'd defraud their customers in that they're usually familiar with the customers and the community they're serving.

Okay, cool I can see where guys could think that and sorry if I came across weird... Anyways, thanks for your contributions to the food and drink forum and I know you're like many TTR members that visit here in that you're a culnarian + a beer & wine connoisseur ..... And with that food discussions can get heated even with our own friends and families because we all buy/cook/eat and critique foods & services and we know what we like..... To me, it's all good when it comes to food..... :D

I was always used to a "local grocer" growing up. When I went to college I was introduced to Super Stop and Shop. Mega supermarkets. No interaction with the butcher, the produce guy or the baker. Terrible in every sense of the word. I felt like lobotomized cattle grazing when I shopped there. Those guys definitely have zero idea where that food is coming from and they don't care. When I came home from college this sort of plague had spread south to NY. Now there are very few mom and pop grocers that can talk to you about food. Fortunately humans have stood up and demanded a better a product and I see many more farm stands and farmer's markets on the weekends and an overall trend toward craft products, which of course includes beer. Most times they'll sell local grown produce and meat/poultry and will tell you how its grown and if it's pesticide and GMO free. There seems to be a good food revolution and that is a great thing.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:
chef97 wrote:By local grocer I was assuming you were referring to a mom and pop grocery store. They usually know the product that they're selling. I doubt they'd defraud their customers in that they're usually familiar with the customers and the community they're serving.

I was always used to a "local grocer" growing up. When I went to college I was introduced to Super Stop and Shop. Mega supermarkets. No interaction with the butcher, the produce guy or the baker. Terrible in every sense of the word. I felt like lobotomized cattle grazing when I shopped there. Those guys definitely have zero idea where that food is coming from and they don't care. When I came home from college this sort of plague had spread south to NY. Now there are very few mom and pop grocers that can talk to you about food. Fortunately humans have stood up and demanded a better a product and I see many more farm stands and farmer's markets on the weekends and an overall trend toward craft products, which of course includes beer. Most times they'll sell local grown produce and meat/poultry and will tell you how its grown and if it's pesticide and GMO free. There seems to be a good food revolution and that is a great thing.

Great post....... Thanks again!
Chef
Presteezh
President Of Zab Nation

Post by Presteezh »

So just my 2 cents....

I am not a fan of organic cause I also think half the time it isn't whats advertised but I have noticed (by accident) any type of salad/lettuce type of produce we have bought in those plastic cases claiming organic have had double the shelf life in my fridge then normal variety. Is it the packaging? Very likely but those plastic containers dont seem like they should make enough of a difference to double the shelf life and it doesn't seem to matter the type... iceberg, romaine, spinach, arugula... if I buy it organic it has lasted longer. Its starting to make me rethink my feelings on organic food.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

personally i think everyone should first aim at "local" produces... best thing is dealing with producers directly... you;d be surprise how easy it is and how some system already exsist. If its organic, than even better. But freshness is everything when you want to eat well and eat good

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”