Shrimp Po'Boy Sandwich w/ spicy Remoulade sauce

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

Shrimp Po'Boy Sandwich w/ spicy Remoulade sauce

Post by chef97 »

A bud of mine was in Rocky Point Mexico and brought me a kilo of 16/20 shrimp... So, I'll be making one of my favorite sandwiches made w/ shrimp this weekend.... It's a lot of work so, you'll have to do this on the weekend but the work is so worth the effort.... Here's the recipe.....

Ingredients
Spicy Remoulade Sauce:
1 cup mayonnaise, such as Best Foods or Hellmann's
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
4 pinches ground black pepper
Squeeze of lemon juice
1/3 cup fine dice onion
1 fresh Serrano chile fine dice *be careful when handling fresh chiles
3 tablespoon Capers (drained)
1/3 cup ketchup
Wet Soak:
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons hot sauce (I like Frank's)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon sugar
24 medium peeled/deveined raw shrimp)
Breading and Frying:
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons dried basil
3 tablespoons granulated garlic
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 cups canola oil
Sandwiches:
4 soft 8-inch French or hoagie rolls, split
3 tablespoons garlic butter, softened (minced roasted garlic mixed with butter)
1 1/2 cups loosely packed shredded green cabbage or lettuce
1/2 cup thin sliced deli-style dill pickles
2 to 3 vine ripened tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
Directions
For the Remoulade sauce: Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.

For the wet soak: In a large bowl or gallon resealable bag, combine the buttermilk, hot sauce, basil, granulated garlic, sugar, white pepper and beaten egg and mix well. Add the shrimp then cover and refrigerate 15 minutes.

For the breading and frying: In a shallow bowl, combine the panko, cornmeal, flour, dried basil, granulated garlic, 1 teaspoon of the sea salt, the black pepper, cayenne and paprika and mix well.

Heat the oil in a large heavy bottom pot until when you place a pinch of the breading in the oil and it floats immediately beginning to cook.

Drain the shrimp from the wet soak and dredge through the breading mixture, pressing gently to adhere. Carefully add shrimp to the hot oil in batches (do not crowd) and cook 3 to 4 minutes per batch. Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate and season with the remaining 1 to 2 teaspoons sea salt while hot.

For the sandwiches: Preheat the oven to a low broil. Butter the rolls with the garlic butter and place on a baking sheet. Broil until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.

Spread Remoulade Sauce on both halves of each roll. Layer on the shrimp, cabbage or lettuce, pickles and tomatoes and top with the other half of each roll. Serve immediately..... And as always happy cooking!
Chef
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Re: Shrimp Po'Boy Sandwich w/ spicy Remoulade sauce

Post by Primetyme199 »

I am absolutely going to try this recipe out, minus the pepper my wife is allergic. Thanks chef.

We make a jerked shrimp recipe I really like.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Primetyme199 wrote:I am absolutely going to try this recipe out, minus the pepper my wife is allergic. Thanks chef.

We make a jerked shrimp recipe I really like.
Bravo! Without the chiles/pepper you will still get an awesome sweet & savory flavor profile..... :D
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

I was watching Hungry investors the other night (sunday) and they had a Po-Boy special... man sure looked good

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”