Low sodium diet?

Food & beverages Discussions
chef97

Re: Low sodium diet?

Post by chef97 »

1. Try not to add salt to your foods and if you do try "Morton's lite Salt"
2. Good substitutes for salt in savory dishes include fresh herbs and different kinds of peppers both fresh and dry
3. Decrease the total amount of sodium you consume to 2,000 mg (2 g) per day
4. Read food labels (most would be surprised to know that there are 600mg of sodium in one ketchup packet)
5. Other LS guidelines: "Low sodium" = 140 mg or less per serving "No sodium" = less than 5 mg per serving

I have a healthy cooking thread but it really wasn't well received..... Maybe I should bump that thread and add some more LS recipes because I have a lot being a former healthcare chef of 10+ years.......
Chef
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

I think chef covered pretty much everything. One other thing is to make sure you are getting plenty of potassium. Bananas are a great source. The potassium helps us "pass" the sodium instead of absorbing it.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:I think chef covered pretty much everything. One other thing is to make sure you are getting plenty of potassium. Bananas are a great source. The potassium helps us "pass" the sodium instead of absorbing it.
I eat like two bananas a day, haha. So, that's good I guess.

Found this prison pic of Duder.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

Michael got the right plan to me.

We have completely changed our household diet in the last 4 months. No more processed foods , or sugar, or grains.
wimpy

Post by wimpy »

deadlything wrote:Michael got the right plan to me.

We have completely changed our household diet in the last 4 months. No more processed foods , or sugar, or grains.
I have a son who has celiac disease so we eliminated gluten from our diet, years ago. This was before all the gluten free hype so we didn't have substitutes to replace all the white processed foods. During our research we learned how bad those type of foods really are. I found it surprising how bread (processed wheat) is higher on the glycemic scale than table sugar. It also has addictive properties and full of empty calories or low nutritional value. The average American diet has become full of white processed foods. I've read books that claim it's a major reason for obesity in the U.S. I can tell you that by eliminating it from my diet it transformed my body and boosted my energy level.
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

wimpy wrote:

I have a son who has celiac disease so we eliminated gluten from our diet, years ago. This was before all the gluten free hype so we didn't have substitutes to replace all the white processed foods. During our research we learned how bad those type of foods really are. I found it surprising how bread (processed wheat) is higher on the glycemic scale than table sugar. It also has addictive properties and full of empty calories or low nutritional value. The average American diet has become full of white processed foods. I've read books that claim it's a major reason for obesity in the U.S. I can tell you that by eliminating it from my diet it transformed my body and boosted my energy level.

Bread is horrible for you. All processed foods are really. We make most of our foods from scratch. We make cloud bread if want bread or we just use lettuce as the bread. Home made Mayo and Salad dressings the only thing that we don't make from scratch is Marinara.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

deadlything wrote:
wimpy wrote:

Bread is horrible for you. All processed foods are really. We make most of our foods from scratch. We make cloud bread if want bread or we just use lettuce as the bread. Home made Mayo and Salad dressings the only thing that we don't make from scratch is Marinara.
I didn't even know what cloud bread was :| . Is this basically what you are talking about?
http://mindovermunch.com/?portfolio=no-carb-cloud-bread
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

Cagiva9 wrote: I didn't even know what cloud bread was :| . Is this basically what you are talking about?
Yep.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

deadlything wrote:
Cagiva9 wrote: I didn't even know what cloud bread was :| . Is this basically what you are talking about?
Yep.
As an everyday bread are you not concerned about the high fat/cholesterol content and zero fiber?

I'm thinking I may try to make a sweetened cookie type version for my kid's lunches. Neither gets enough protein, at least in my estimation.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Going gluten free unless you or your loved ones have celiac disease is un American... :P Isn't it Amber Waves of Grain?...I'm diabetic and whether it's rice flour, whole wheat flour, potatoes or pasta ; gluten free or not they all equal Carbohydrates to me.....
Chef
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

chef97 wrote:Going gluten free unless you or your loved ones have celiac disease is un American... :P Isn't it Amber Waves of Grain?...I'm diabetic and whether it's rice flour, whole wheat flour, potatoes or pasta ; gluten free or not they all equal Carbohydrates to me.....
Ever try sprouted grain breads like Ezekiel? They have a very low glycemic index.
wimpy

Post by wimpy »

chef97 wrote:Going gluten free unless you or your loved ones have celiac disease is un American... :P Isn't it Amber Waves of Grain?...I'm diabetic and whether it's rice flour, whole wheat flour, potatoes or pasta ; gluten free or not they all equal Carbohydrates to me.....
Now with all the substitutes such as gluten free bread, pasta, cookies, cake, muffins, waffles and any other foods that include flour (of most any kind,) the diet is no better for us than the everyday processed wheat flour. Years ago, before there were substitutes, the gluten free diet consisted of eliminating all the flour based foods. My wife describes it as shopping on the outside grocery isles....fruits, veggies, meat and dairy. So yeah, years ago it was a healthier diet but now it's not.
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

― Benjamin Franklin
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

Cagiva9 wrote:
deadlything wrote:
Yep.
As an everyday bread are you not concerned about the high fat/cholesterol content and zero fiber?

I'm thinking I may try to make a sweetened cookie type version for my kid's lunches. Neither gets enough protein, at least in my estimation.

High/Fat Cholesterol is not bad for you sugar is.

If you netflix watch FedUp , if you have Amazon Prime watch That Sugar Film.

We have been eating this way for almost 4 months and My wife and I have both lost 23 pounds. Before we change our diet my wife got sick at least twice a month. She had strep 5 times last year and upper repository infection twice. She has not gotten sick once this year.
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

wimpy wrote:
Now with all the substitutes such as gluten free bread, pasta, cookies, cake, muffins, waffles and any other foods that include flour (of most any kind,) the diet is no better for us than the everyday processed wheat flour. Years ago, before there were substitutes, the gluten free diet consisted of eliminating all the flour based foods. My wife describes it as shopping on the outside grocery isles....fruits, veggies, meat and dairy. So yeah, years ago it was a healthier diet but now it's not.

That's where we shop.
RimmyJice

Post by RimmyJice »

wimpy wrote:
I know some dummies that eat "gluten free" and they've always got cookies and shit like that. I had one, it sucked, and I could tell from the way it tasted that it was worse for you than a regular cookie. It tasted super-processed.
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

RimmyJice wrote:
I know some dummies that eat "gluten free" and they've always got cookies and shit like that. I had one, it sucked, and I could tell from the way it tasted that it was worse for you than a regular cookie. It tasted super-processed.

"Healthy" Processed food is gross. It's best to avoid Glutten Free food product because they add a bunch of stuff to it that's not good for you. It's better to make it from home. It's hard for any company to mass produce healthy foods because healthy foods have a very short shelf life. Homemade Mayo last about 1-2 weeks.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

deadlything wrote:
Cagiva9 wrote: As an everyday bread are you not concerned about the high fat/cholesterol content and zero fiber?

High/Fat Cholesterol is not bad for you sugar is.

If you netflix watch FedUp , if you have Amazon Prime watch That Sugar Film.

We have been eating this way for almost 4 months and My wife and I have both lost 23 pounds. Before we change our diet my wife got sick at least twice a month. She had strep 5 times last year and upper repository infection twice. She has not gotten sick once this year.
I'll watch those. Seems like new research has changed a lot of people's thinking in the last few years. I guess I need to catch up. I've tried for about the last 10 years to follow some semblance of the Zone diet. Essentially trying to control insulin levels by balancing "good" carbs with protein and "good" fat.

Just googled some recent studies pointing away from (as you said) saturated fat and pointing to instead, animal based protein as a major cause high cholesterol and heart disease.... might be time to do some tweaking
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

Cagiva9 wrote: I'll watch those. Seems like new research has changed a lot of people's thinking in the last few years. I guess I need to catch up. I've tried for about the last 10 years to follow some semblance of the Zone diet. Essentially trying to control insulin levels by balancing "good" carbs with protein and "good" fat.

Just googled some recent studies pointing away from (as you said) saturated fat and pointing to instead, animal based protein as a major cause high cholesterol and heart disease.... might be time to do some tweaking

Look into Primal diet or the NSNG diet. That is what we are doing. Eat real food and stay away from sugar. I eat fruit twice a week and vegetables everyday.
yoloswaggy911

Post by yoloswaggy911 »

stenchasaurous wrote:In my experience most of the really good food for what I'd call "exclusionary" diets such vegetarian/vegan or gluten free are the foods that don't try so hard to taste like the foods you're excluding but rather embrace the different flavor profiles of the more raw/less processed foods in the those diets and make new combinations with them.

Exactly why those frozen Vegan Burgers are fucking nasty.

Just make really good Vegetarian food. Although, there is a vegetarian place here that has a pretty good Mushroom Burger.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

stenchasaurous wrote:In my experience most of the really good food for what I'd call "exclusionary" diets such vegetarian/vegan or gluten free are the foods that don't try so hard to taste like the foods you're excluding but rather embrace the different flavor profiles of the more raw/less processed foods in the those diets and make new combinations with them.
Exactly.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
chef97

Post by chef97 »

I make a variety of different "veggie burgers" everyday as a healthcare chef at an Adventist hospital.... 7th-Day Adventists are mostly vegetarian and for sure don't eat shellfish or pork.... Daily I make (burger) Pecan patties, Lentil patties, 12 grain oat patties, Walnut/Almond patties.... And those are the vegan ones and as a binding agent I use softened Tofu & a corn starch water slurry and asst. seasonings.... And there is only a tiny bit of olive oil added to those recipes.... People love them but I think the flavor/texture/appearance resembles eating cardboard..... Then there are the vegetarian burger patties I make w/ say, roasted onions, garlic, bell peppers, yellow squash and zucchini and two diff mushrooms.... However, I use bread crumbs, egg and a variety of different cheeses as a binding agent for these patties..... If any of youz guys are interested I can post the recipes here for both the vegan and non vegan burger patties in the Food & Drink Forum.......... Please specify vegan or non vegan.... And as always, happy cooking!

Ciao!
Chef

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”