French toast reinvented...

Food & beverages Discussions
Astor
TTR

French toast reinvented...

Post by Astor »

SO i took off today... So what does frenchy does when he takes a sick day from work... usually smoke a doobie, drink coffey and then some french pancakes (very thin) rolled with chocolate inside...

OR this morning i had a revelation... Me and My girlfriend always buy "artisan" bread from a local bread shop... It's SOOOOO much better than what you can buy at the grocery and ends up costing less too which is the funny part... they give you the 7th bread if you buy 6... about 20$ for 7, 1 day old bread (not the ones that are fresh from the day)...

This week we bought a cinnamon bun type of bread... same shape as a regular loaf of bread but it's a roll with cinnamon between each layers... The revelation was to make french toast with that bread...

Sounded like an awesome idea at the time and turned out to be awesome in my mouth too!! lol

It's like a french toast makeover... you got the cinnamon twist that gives it more depth and the texture of the bread is like a cinnamon bun so it gives a different texture to the french toast.

For the mix, i simply mix eggs, vanilla, little sprinkle of salt and milk...

ENJOY!!
Scapp:
"A champion, a true champion is to take on all capable challengers. A true champion defends his title, and looks for matches that pose a threat in order to prove to the world he deserves to be called the best of the best."

"Man, it really felt good to be home and some of my family and grandkids were here so we had a very pleasant evening. Again, thanks for all of the encouragement and kind words. You are truly a great bunch of friends."
tmoney1224

Re: French toast reinvented...

Post by tmoney1224 »

Excellent work. Do you leave the bread out and let it get a little stale before you make into French toast?
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

tmoney1224 wrote:Excellent work. Do you leave the bread out and let it get a little stale before you make into French toast?

that would be ideal to speed up the process of the batter getting inside the french toast but i didn't... i press it in a boil and turn it a few times... it was very thick too

BTW that's my good quality pan with ceramic coating... really love it
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Looks amazing Astor and I bet it tastes even better! I have a recipe for "stuffed French Toast" where you take some cream cheese then sweeten w/ powder sugar then smear the sweetened cream cheese on one piece of bread then press another piece of bread on top as to make a sandwich.... Then you make your French Toast w/ the stuffed bread but I'll bet it would be even better w/ the kind of bread you have there..... :D
Chef
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

the13r wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:Excellent work. Do you leave the bread out and let it get a little stale before you make into French toast?

that would be ideal to speed up the process of the batter getting inside the french toast but i didn't... i press it in a boil and turn it a few times... it was very thick too

I don't have any ceramic pans; don't think I have ever even cooked with one. What are the benefits?

I have a hard anodized pan that is my workhorse. Pretty happy with it for the most part.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Quick french toast story. So one time, many moons ago, I told my, at the time, future father in law that I liked french toast. Nothing big, he just asked what do you enjoy for breakfast when there was a family event coming and I replied french toast along with a number of other breakfast items. Well this short conversation 12 years ago has been the bane to our family breakfast eating existences. His family is more of a breakfast as the family meal when we do stuff together so for 12+ years we have been getting french toast for every family occasion. Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, you name it, french toast is at the forefront. The kicker, when my father in law is asked "why we always have french toast" it's because "tmoney likes it". So I get evil glares and snide remarks (tmoney always gets what she wants) and still the french toast continues. There have been many forms of the dish from good to a downright awful french toast casserole that had some drippings from another dish cooking above it that made it completely inedible. I have said that we can eat something different, that I like pancakes and toast and all other sorts of breakfasts, yet the french toast continues. I'm almost sure they just do it just for the laughs now.

For clarification, it's pretty much a joke in the family that I always get what I want as opposed to his sisters, so it's more of a funny thing then a resentful thing.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Challah Bread French Toast is awesome. Give it a whirl if you have a decent Jewish bakery near you.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

tmoney1224 wrote:
the13r wrote:

I don't have any ceramic pans; don't think I have ever even cooked with one. What are the benefits?

I have a hard anodized pan that is my workhorse. Pretty happy with it for the most part.

well it really is non sticky... i was expecting it to be ultra resistent but it has some mini scratches now... mylene likes to leave the pan in the sink with many other metal items so... But it really cooks well and it's a good quality one so it's thick... it keeps all the eat even though you drop a big quantity of anything cold.

For the price she paid for it, it's a very good investment so far!

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”