Generations later, still the BEST lesson in making Omelettes

Food & beverages Discussions
Peat56

Generations later, still the BEST lesson in making Omelettes

Post by Peat56 »

http://vimeo.com/33870728

You can't beat Julia Child's Omelette episode. I love making Omelettes and I seldom wish to stray from the fundamentals she teaches here.

I'm of the mind that all men should learn to make a decent Omelette. Perfect to make for that special person in your life. Cheap, fast, and beautiful when done right.
hardcorebee24

Re: Generations later, still the BEST lesson in making Omele

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote:Eh. Scrambled eggs is an omelet, just in a different shape.
Yeah, if you're a boring, lame, insipid do nothing it is.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

that special person in your life. Cheap, fast, and beautiful when done right.
HEY!That's my wife you're talking about :evil:
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

Cagiva9 wrote:
that special person in your life. Cheap, fast, and beautiful when done right.
HEY!That's my wife you're talking about :evil:
:D Make your wife a nice Omelette and she'll love it. Just don't tell her it cost a grand total of 87¢ to make. :lol:
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

I may be in the minority here, but I don't really like omelets. I like eggs, I like the majority of the toppings you put in one, but I just really don't enjoy the texture of the eggs when it is done as an omelet. Usually it's too cooked on the outside and still underdone on the inside. I've made omelets and I have had omelets at restaurants in the past, I would just rather have a nicely done scrambled egg with the toppings in it, or even more preferably, a breakfast burrito.

As for the video, I've never seen an omelet that only had just eggs in it? I trust Julia knows what she is talking about, but that just seems more like scrambled eggs to me.
Presteezh
President Of Zab Nation

Post by Presteezh »

all egg omelet... yea i would call it scrambled.

I never added water to the eggs before, and I let the omelet cook spread out, add toppings to middle.... at least cheese ffs, then use a spatula to fold the omelet over and allow some extra internal cooking.

The folding over or rolling as some do I think is the hardest part of cooking one as you don't want your toppings to bust at the seams a perfect omelet to me is one that looks like a burrito without the wrap... you can even smother like a burrito on the plate.

more like this.... Image
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

I don't find them scrambled at all. The eggs are used more like a crepe. They might look or even taste like scrambled eggs, but really the consistency is quite different. But whoever did the above omlette, I say nicely done

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”