Countries with better food than USA

Food & beverages Discussions
Big_Billa

Countries with better food than USA

Post by Big_Billa »

If someone says Italy I might slap them. I can honestly say I've been to some very high end Italian restaurants in Tuscany ,Rome, etc ... traveled all over it and I've had better food on Mott st. I've traveled all over the world and the only place I can honestly say that does food better is France. Ive Been in London for the last month or so, and after being gone you appreciate our food and how much cheaper it is compared to the rest of the west.

The food in Singapore is great but it gets boring for me. I love real Mexican food, and to be honest thats probably my second favorite place to eat. Spain has some great food too, but I'd take the US of A.

What's everyone else's thoughts?
"Nice guys finish last. awesome guys finish on her face" - Charlie Sheen
hardcorebee24

Re: Countries with better food than USA

Post by hardcorebee24 »

I was very disappointed with the consistent food in Italy. I went to some nice places to eat but for the most part it was touristy crap. Tuscany, in particular Florence, had the best food and most consistent in my opinion. New York, Chicago and San Fransisco have the best food in the states but you can really find great food anywhere. I always try and eat what's regional. I won't get sushi in Phoenix or a Lobster in Austin. If I'm in the South West I'm eating Mex or Tex Mex (Which sucks in the North East compared to the South West and Texas). Baltimore I'm eating Crab. Florida (Tampa or Miami) I'm eating Cuban food etc. I think with traveling you have to research what type of food the area you're going to does best and stick to that.

BTW, Chinese food in Rome was surprisingly good.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

hardcorebee24 wrote:I was very disappointed with the consistent food in Italy. I went to some nice places to eat but for the most part it was touristy crap. Tuscany, in particular Florence, had the best food and most consistent in my opinion. New York, Chicago and San Fransisco have the best food in the states but you can really find great food anywhere. I always try and eat what's regional. I won't get sushi in Phoenix or a Lobster in Austin. If I'm in the South West I'm eating Mex or Tex Mex (Which sucks in the North East compared to the South West and Texas). Baltimore I'm eating Crab. Florida (Tampa or Miami) I'm eating Cuban food etc. I think with traveling you have to research what type of food the area you're going to does best and stick to that.

Yeah I couldn't agree more my man. Pizza in Italy wasn't anything special either... France on the other hand, I was blown away by the food every where I went.
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

Big_Billa wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:I was very disappointed with the consistent food in Italy. I went to some nice places to eat but for the most part it was touristy crap. Tuscany, in particular Florence, had the best food and most consistent in my opinion. New York, Chicago and San Fransisco have the best food in the states but you can really find great food anywhere. I always try and eat what's regional. I won't get sushi in Phoenix or a Lobster in Austin. If I'm in the South West I'm eating Mex or Tex Mex (Which sucks in the North East compared to the South West and Texas). Baltimore I'm eating Crab. Florida (Tampa or Miami) I'm eating Cuban food etc. I think with traveling you have to research what type of food the area you're going to does best and stick to that.

Yeah I couldn't agree more my man. Pizza in Italy wasn't anything special either... France on the other hand, I was blown away by the food every where I went.
If you're into seafood Barcelona has some unbelievable food as well
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Big_Billa wrote:

The pizza in Naples was decent but only because I went there on the blast leg of my trip and Dominoes would have tasted good at that point.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
USMILMAN
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion

Post by USMILMAN »

Greece.
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

USMILMAN wrote:Greece.
I like Greek food but it gets boring for me after a while.
I love seafood, olives, lamb etc but after a while I felt like if got repetitive. That's a good call though, I can definitely see people loving the Mediterranean type of foods.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Did you eat out when you were in Melbourne Billa?
mofo2

Post by mofo2 »

Indian food is delicious, I could live on that shit!
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

mofo2 wrote:Indian food is delicious, I could live on that shit!
Indian food is great, but the best Indian food is actually in the UK. A top Indian chef can make 10x more in London than in Mumbai.
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

Tommy wrote:Did you eat out when you were in Melbourne Billa?
I stayed on the south bank at quay west and went to Melba. It was actually very good, top 2 meal I had down under.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Big_Billa wrote:
I stayed on the south bank at quay west and went to Melba. It was actually very good, top 2 meal I had down under.
I've never ate there, heard it was meant to be good. What was number 1?
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

California.
mofo2

Post by mofo2 »

Big_Billa wrote:
mofo2 wrote:Indian food is delicious, I could live on that shit!
Indian food is great, but the best Indian food is actually in the UK. A top Indian chef can make 10x more in London than in Mumbai.
And I am one of the ones that benefits from it...this is my usual haunt, my mouth is watering thinking of it :lol: http://www.spicebrasserie.co.uk/photogallery.php
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

Tommy wrote:
Big_Billa wrote:
I've never ate there, heard it was meant to be good. What was number 1?
Quay in the rocks in Sydney was one of the better meals I ever had. Our table was lookig right at the opera house and bridge..., it wasnt cheap.. With drinks way over 300$ a head but I wasnt paying so I didn't mind.
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

stenchasaurous wrote:Hard to say on a whole because there's so much variation. I'd say on average the food I had in Austria, Czech and Italy was all better than the average place in the U.S., but they also don't have as much fast food as we do, which brings our average down, and even the fast food there was better because the people won't accept the swill our obese, addicted populace will. Food I've had in Mexico is good too, but again, it's local legit food, even if it's street food. Best food in the U.S. can definitely compete with anywhere in the world though, although I live in a foodie town, so I'm probably a bit spoiled.
Honestly was disappointed with Italy as a whole. Wasnt crazy about the food in Prague but Austria from what I remember was unreal. Went to some famous weinerschnitzel joint by their main square in Vienna and they had to wheel me outa there.

Never spent any real time in Japan but I hear unreal things. Hong Kong is great but it gets repetitive eating noodles and dim sum for weeks on end... Same goes for Sing
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

stenchasaurous wrote:
Big_Billa wrote:
stenchasaurous wrote:Hard to say on a whole because there's so much variation. I'd say on average the food I had in Austria, Czech and Italy was all better than the average place in the U.S., but they also don't have as much fast food as we do, which brings our average down, and even the fast food there was better because the people won't accept the swill our obese, addicted populace will. Food I've had in Mexico is good too, but again, it's local legit food, even if it's street food. Best food in the U.S. can definitely compete with anywhere in the world though, although I live in a foodie town, so I'm probably a bit spoiled.
Honestly was disappointed with Italy as a whole. Wasnt crazy about the food in Prague but Austria from what I remember was unreal. Went to some famous weinerschnitzel joint by their main square in Vienna and they had to wheel me outa there.

Never spent any real time in Japan but I hear unreal things. Hong Kong is great but it gets repetitive eating noodles and dim sum for weeks on end... Same goes for Sing
For big cities in Italy, I pretty much only spent time in Florence and the food was excellent, which is part of the problem when talking about countries as wholes, because I can't really speak for the whole place. I drove everywhere while we were in Europe, so I went through a lot of small towns and would stop and try stuff. One difference between here and those countries IMO is that in the small towns there, you can typically find some really good small restaurants with local cuisine. In most of the small towns here, the majority of the restaurants are typically complete fucking garbage/fast food. When I go to Montana in the summer for instance, the food scene is utter shit. Go to a small village in Italy, Austria, etc., and there's probably going to at least be some small place serving solid local food.

Austria was definitely my favorite while we were there. I'd love to go to Japan, just so fucking expensive.
I did a day and a half in Osaka and 2 in Tokyo as layovers. Really cool country, I definitely plan on going back for a while.
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

I can honestly say that I have dined around the world, and in some truly fine restaurants with multiple michelin stars. But I actually don't think there are countries with BETTER food than the USA. There might be some places that come close or perhaps equal the USA. But when you look at the size and diversity of America its just staggering. Texax BBQ, seafood on all shores, awesome dining establishments in all the major cities, California wine, great whiskies, tex mex, and so much more!
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

And the other thing I meant to say is that almost any great style of food that is found elsewhere in the world is found in the USA. Want great Italian - go to New York City, want great French food, same city (NYC) want some Russian grub, try Milwaukee.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

I have been to Mexico, India, Brazil, Germany, UK and Sweden. I can't say that anyone of those countries had better food than the USA. As a matter of fact I got sick while in India and I can't even stand the smell of Indian food. My favorite ethnic food in the US is Arabic. I absolutely love it. Hummus, chicken twook, veg grape leafs, I could live off that stuff.

With regard to the countries I have visited, the foods that stuck out for me. In Mexico, I really enjoyed their steak. Filet and it had to be cooked well, but it was still good. Germany had good food and again at a local place near Wiesbaden, they brought out baked plate sized stones and a cut of beef and you got to fry it up to your liking that was good. In Sao Paulo Brazil, I went to a "Barbeque" and I really enjoyed that. The UK, nothing special and Sweden nothing special. As a matter of fact I went veg for a day in Sweden. In early March they celebrate the coming of warmer weather with a reindeer feast. I couldn't bring myself to eat it. The special dish was made out of reindeer blood mixed with some other meat. It looked like barbequed pulled pork, but my buddy said it had the consistency of jelly with meat in it.
hughie-d

Post by hughie-d »

I have only been to NYC, but when I was there I ate out every night and the range of food was great. I'd say America has the greatest varitey of cuisines on a consistent level, but in terms of single, standalone dishes that are outstanding? I don't think it can compare to classic culinary destinations. France was already mentioned in this thread, I get fat every time I go there. Kyoto create food that has food often copied the world over but the imitations pale in comparison. The reason being is that the craft has been honed using local ingredients for hundreds of years. ( I recommend watching Jinro dreams of Sushi for an example of the level of craft in top end Japanese food) [YouTubeShort]http://youtu.be/M-aGPniFvS0[/YouTubeShort]

I live in Spain and the country is spoiled for choice, Barcelona has already been mentioned (rightly so, the Mediterranean is home to the best seafood in the world, I have eaten in Asia, Australia, Ireland (Atlantic) and nowhere has tastier seafood, larger yes but not tastier). In 2014, 3 of the top ten restaurants in the world were in Spain (surely would have been four if El Buli, a restaurant that was named "best in the world" five times, had not closed its doors). Compare that to the UK and USA(both of which have 2), which have a much larger population and higher wage standards to attract top chefs.

If you ever find yourself in this country and want to sample culinary delights, head to San Sebastian. If there ever was such a thing as culinary heaven on earth, it is there. A town of only 180,000 inhabitants but home to three 3-starred Michelin starred restaurants, 16 two&single star restaurants and a plethora of fantastic family owned bars
Jont

Post by Jont »

Thailand's food is delicious and in Bangkok... there are so many choices of food from other countries.... you have healthy choices everywhere in Thailand... fruits, and seafood at affordable prices
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Jont wrote:Thailand's food is delicious and in Bangkok... there are so many choices of food from other countries.... you have healthy choices everywhere in Thailand... fruits, and seafood at affordable prices

Culinary reasons is one of the first thing why i want to go in thailand!!
hughie-d

Post by hughie-d »

Jont wrote:Thailand's food is delicious and in Bangkok... there are so many choices of food from other countries.... you have healthy choices everywhere in Thailand... fruits, and seafood at affordable prices

True.... I was there for two months and never got "bored" with it. Asian food in general (in Asia) is fucking awesome.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”