BBQ / Anything Sauce

Food & beverages Discussions
SmartyBeardo

BBQ / Anything Sauce

Post by SmartyBeardo »

Just finished BBQing at my place with friends in the area for The Oyster Run.

I prepared a rack of spare ribs for the grill, rubbing them with olive oil, then Montreal Steak Seasoning. the wife has been a special pain in the spousal ass the last few days, given she slightly sprained her foot falling on the steps leading to the front door. She mentioned, "I saw a food show on Russian TV about a red wine sauce for filet mignon. They use a half bottle of red wine, garlic, rosemary, and two table spoons of sugar."

I replied, "I can do a red wine BBQ sauce for the ribs."

"NO, NO, I will do it when we have filet. I don't want you to mess it up. We don't have garlic," she said, showing a lot of confidence in my ability.

While cleaning the grill, I remembered that I had sliced a juicy fresh pineapple into small chunks a few hours earlier.

Ingredients:

1 - 750 ml bottle of good, cheap red wine. I used a bottle of Lost Angels, 2009, Mischief Red Wine, California, Naughty Wines For Naughty Times, Lost Angel Wines, Sonoma, CA. (Got a case for less than $110 including tax).

A 2 to 3 second squirt of a good raspberry vinaigrette. I used Organic Treasures.

A quick squirt of Beaver Hot Creamy Horseradish.

A 1 to 3 second squirt of Korean Srirachi Sauce, depending on your spice level.

A splash of worcester sauce.

A 2 to 4 second squirt of Heinz Catsup.

1 serving spoon of strawberry jam.

2 tablespoons of Georgian Plum Sauce. (You can find several types at your local Russian / eastern Euro store)

20 to 30 small chunks of fresh, juicy pineapple.

2 tablespoons of raw brown sugar.

Mix all the ingredients together and bring it to an active boil. Stir frequently. Boil down into a syrupy consistency. Cover and wait for the ribs to finish. Place in a bowl, including the soaked pineapple chunks.

Serve with ribs and the rest of dinner. People will start dipping everything in it. My wife had to admit that it was good.

VICTORY!
SmartyBeardo is a fictional character, owned and operated by the creator. Events depicted by SmartyBeardo are fictitious. Any similarity to actual events is purely coincidental.
chef97

Re: BBQ / Anything Sauce

Post by chef97 »

Sounds pretty freaking awesome Smarty! Thanks for sharing your recipes here bro! I like the red wine reduction a lot, along with the rest of your ingredients makes for a dynamic flavor profile........... Have you tried the sauce with beef too? Because I'll bet it goes great with pork or chicken..........
Chef
SmartyBeardo

Post by SmartyBeardo »

chef97 wrote:Sounds pretty freaking awesome Smarty! Thanks for sharing your recipes here bro! I like the red wine reduction a lot, along with the rest of your ingredients makes for a dynamic flavor profile........... Have you tried the sauce with beef too? Because I'll bet it goes great with pork or chicken..........
Thanks chef97 . . . it wasn't as hot or sweet as the ingredients may have suggested. The soaked pineapple chunks make a great side, btw.

When I do it for beef I will cut back on the heat and the sweet a bit, and throw in the garlic and rosemary.

In this one you could actually detect the influence of the different fruits. I will use this one on shchezlick (eastern euro kabobs) next time I do them.

Another side was it worked as a pretty decent aphrodisiac 8)
SmartyBeardo is a fictional character, owned and operated by the creator. Events depicted by SmartyBeardo are fictitious. Any similarity to actual events is purely coincidental.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

SmartyBeardo wrote:
chef97 wrote:Sounds pretty freaking awesome Smarty! Thanks for sharing your recipes here bro! I like the red wine reduction a lot, along with the rest of your ingredients makes for a dynamic flavor profile........... Have you tried the sauce with beef too? Because I'll bet it goes great with pork or chicken..........
Thanks chef97 . . . it wasn't as hot or sweet as the ingredients may have suggested. The soaked pineapple chunks make a great side, btw.

When I do it for beef I will cut back on the heat and the sweet a bit, and throw in the garlic and rosemary.

In this one you could actually detect the influence of the different fruits. I will use this one on shchezlick (eastern euro kabobs) next time I do them.

Another side was it worked as a pretty decent aphrodisiac 8)
Nice.............
Chef

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”