i love onions but maybe they don't like me!

Food & beverages Discussions
VIP

i love onions but maybe they don't like me!

Post by VIP »

i cry when i cut them, i love them, but i think onions have to be limited by me! when i was a kid, i used to eat at white castle hamburgers, they steam the hamburgers with chopped up onions, very tasty! but they don't call them burgers, "murder burger" for nothing ok, are some onions less of a problem than others? i really love vidalia onions ! i like to use smaller longer onions scallions i think it is when i make double baked potatoes, any other good substitutions? thank guys
chef97

Re: i love onions but maybe they don't like me!

Post by chef97 »

I love onions too, they are so versatile they can go with sweet/spicy or savory flavor profiles........... As for subs have you tried fresh shallots? It's like a cross between an onion and garlic...........

Chef's Notes: Fresh cut onions emit a vapor like gas that irritates the eyes...... Old wives tales about put a piece of bread in your mouth will help, doesn't.... What to do is cut fresh onions in a well ventilated area like open a window and or use an exhaust fan.......... That should help a little........ :D
Chef
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

you just have to be smarter than the onions.
SmartyBeardo

Post by SmartyBeardo »

Not sure if it is just psychosomatic but fresh onions in the evening help me sleep very soundly.
SmartyBeardo is a fictional character, owned and operated by the creator. Events depicted by SmartyBeardo are fictitious. Any similarity to actual events is purely coincidental.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Run them under cold water. Helps a little.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
VIP

Post by VIP »

chef97 wrote:I love onions too, they are so versatile they can go with sweet/spicy or savory flavor profiles........... As for subs have you tried fresh shallots? It's like a cross between an onion and garlic...........

Chef's Notes: Fresh cut onions emit a vapor like gas that irritates the eyes...... Old wives tales about put a piece of bread in your mouth will help, doesn't.... What to do is cut fresh onions in a well ventilated area like open a window and or use an exhaust fan.......... That should help a little........ :D
i heard putting onions in the freezer helps!
VIP

Post by VIP »

Cagiva9 wrote:Image
you just have to be smarter than the onions.
i can eat a little but my freaking system just can't take it anymore! white castle hamburgers spoiled me! but man what a way to get spoiled! they taste sooooooooo good! even when i cook a turkey i put onions and apples on the bottom of the pan and inside the bird, but i can't eat it like i used to! :(
VIP

Post by VIP »

SmartyBeardo wrote:Not sure if it is just psychosomatic but fresh onions in the evening help me sleep very soundly.
well of course! ain't nobody wanna give you any action after you have onion breath? lol and don't get me started on garlic ok! :lol:
VIP

Post by VIP »

hardcorebee24 wrote:Run them under cold water. Helps a little.
i guess that might help , but do i really want to be cutting onion under water! 911 youtube moment for sure! what was that movie that had the saying "there is blood everywhere" lol
SmartyBeardo

Post by SmartyBeardo »

VIP wrote:
SmartyBeardo wrote:Not sure if it is just psychosomatic but fresh onions in the evening help me sleep very soundly.
well of course! ain't nobody wanna give you any action after you have onion breath? lol and don't get me started on garlic ok! :lol:
Lol, I'm married to a Russian. Most nights that I come home late, she has already eaten fresh garlic and onions. I chop up my share and eat them with dinner. My wife is too white Russian hot to let a little fresh garlic and onions stop me. I fight fire with fire.
SmartyBeardo is a fictional character, owned and operated by the creator. Events depicted by SmartyBeardo are fictitious. Any similarity to actual events is purely coincidental.
VIP

Post by VIP »

SmartyBeardo wrote:
VIP wrote:
Lol, I'm married to a Russian. Most nights that I come home late, she has already eaten fresh garlic and onions. I chop up my share and eat them with dinner. My wife is too white Russian hot to let a little fresh garlic and onions stop me. I fight fire with fire.
i love women who have russian accents! does she have a sister?
SmartyBeardo

Post by SmartyBeardo »

VIP wrote:
SmartyBeardo wrote:
VIP wrote:

i love women who have russian accents! does she have a sister?
No sisters. I'm with you on the accent. Even beats the French.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”