Chef...your assistance is needed in the kitchen

Food & beverages Discussions
5_burowz

Chef...your assistance is needed in the kitchen

Post by 5_burowz »

Chef, Fall/Autumn is upon me and during this time of year is when I start making lots of soups/stews, etc. But, I'm sick of eating the same shit. I'll usually make different kinds of chili's, beef stews, and simple soups like split pea soup with shallots and cream. But I really need something different. I don't want to have to make a six hour bone stock, but I do usually make stocks for all of my soups/stews. Just some things that I can make within a few hours would be great.

I also would like to know if there is any way to make these kinds of soups/stews less watery after freezing. I know that freezing changes the chemistry of the food, but are there any 'tricks' to making it less watery and maybe even maintaining the integrity of the ingredients as far as them not being mealy or too soft?

Thanks
chef97

Re: Chef...your assistance is needed in the kitchen

Post by chef97 »

5_burowz wrote:Chef, Fall/Autumn is upon me and during this time of year is when I start making lots of soups/stews, etc. But, I'm sick of eating the same shit. I'll usually make different kinds of chili's, beef stews, and simple soups like split pea soup with shallots and cream. But I really need something different. I don't want to have to make a six hour bone stock, but I do usually make stocks for all of my soups/stews. Just some things that I can make within a few hours would be great.

I also would like to know if there is any way to make these kinds of soups/stews less watery after freezing. I know that freezing changes the chemistry of the food, but are there any 'tricks' to making it less watery and maybe even maintaining the integrity of the ingredients as far as them not being mealy or too soft?

Thanks
I gotchew bro! http://www.the13thround.com/phpBB2/view ... 85#1209685

That link is a TTR tested and approved recipe but I have a bunch more on my hard drive at work....... I'll post some other terrific ideas later including crock pot Carnitas to make Soft Tacos with........ Smokey, savory and a bit spicy........
Chef
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

@ Burowz, slurry will thicken your stew/soup. Cornstarch and water.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

hardcorebee24 wrote:@ Burowz, slurry will thicken your stew/soup. Cornstarch and water.

yeah, I know it will. But that's not the only problem with freezing the food.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

5_burowz wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:@ Burowz, slurry will thicken your stew/soup. Cornstarch and water.

Are you using any type of dairy in the the ones you are freezing? I know that can really cause some issues.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

tmoney1224 wrote:
5_burowz wrote:

Are you using any type of dairy in the the ones you are freezing? I know that can really cause some issues.

Nah, no dairy. Freezing it just makes it kinda mushy.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Crock pot carnitas...I needs them. lol
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Crock pot carnitas!!!

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”