turkey time

Food & beverages Discussions
VIP

turkey time

Post by VIP »

i was thinking of cooking a turkey then making some turkey soup the next day, got any ideas and recipes?

thanks chef!
VIP

Re: turkey time

Post by VIP »

and thanks to you guys also! you guys rock the kitchen too!
chef97

Post by chef97 »

VIP wrote:i was thinking of cooking a turkey then making some turkey soup the next day, got any ideas and recipes?

thanks chef!
Ingredients
1 (14 to 16 pound) frozen young turkey
For the brine:

1 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 gallon vegetable stock
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 1/2 teaspoons allspice berries
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped candied ginger
1 gallon heavily iced water
For the aromatics:

1 red apple, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced
1 cinnamon stick
1 cup water
4 sprigs rosemary
6 leaves sage
Canola oil

Directions

2 to 3 days before roasting:

Begin thawing the turkey in the refrigerator or in a cooler kept at 38 degrees F.

Combine the vegetable stock, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, allspice berries, and candied ginger in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil. Then remove the brine from the heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate.

Early on the day or the night before you'd like to eat:

Combine the brine, water and ice in the 5-gallon bucket. Place the thawed turkey (with innards removed) breast side down in brine. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure it is fully immersed, cover, and refrigerate or set in cool area for 8 to 16 hours, turning the bird once half way through brining.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees F. Remove the bird from brine and rinse inside. Discard the brine.

Place the bird on roasting rack inside a half sheet pan to catch the drippings..........

Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick, and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe dish and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Add steeped aromatics to the turkey's cavity along with the rosemary and sage. I always tuck the wings underneath the bird and coat the skin liberally with canola oil.

Roast the turkey on lowest level of the oven at 500 degrees F for 30 minutes. Insert a probe thermometer into thickest part of the breast and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. A 14 to 16 pound bird should require a total of 2 to 2 1/2 hours of roasting. Turkey is done when a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat reach 165 F.......... Let the turkey rest, loosely covered with foil or a large mixing bowl for about 15 minutes before carving........ Otherwise the juices will run out leaving a dry finisshed product so, it's important to let the raost rest before slicing......... And as always, happy cooking!!!

VIP, for leftovers I have a lot recipes for that too just let me know if you want them..... I have recipes from Turkey Tacos to Turkey Lasagna...... :D
Chef
VIP

Post by VIP »

you rock bro! i was thinking of doing a turkey soup! i love soup! as a matter of fact, i love soup so much, i am thinking of getting a bride from russia, i hear they eat that all day there! the borscht soup made with beets!

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”