What is Your Definition of Gravy?

Food & beverages Discussions
TopNotch86

What is Your Definition of Gravy?

Post by TopNotch86 »

to me its brown stuff u put on turkey, i got some italian co-workers who call sauce gravy and it is the strangest thing in the world to me... like ill have some macaroni with gravy on it... wtf are u talking about bro that sounds disgusting... thoughts?
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
tmoney1224

Re: What is Your Definition of Gravy?

Post by tmoney1224 »

Different cultures definitely throw the word around and it can mean vastly different things.

For me, gravy is either white or brown, cream or brothy, that goes over meat, potatoes, or vegetables. I'm talking something along the lines of your classic chicken fried steak gravy or pot roast gravy.

I know in Tex-mex cuisine they use a "chili gravy" over enchiladas. It is similar in that is starts with a roux, but instead of just your standard broth or milk, you add a bunch of chili powder and other Mexican spices.

I'm pretty sure that Italians calls classic bolognese sauce gravy as well.

I'm not sure of any others.
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

White gravy that goes on biscuits for breakfast or brown gravy that goes on turkey and taters.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

Money and a pretty face.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

TopNotch86 wrote:to me its brown stuff u put on turkey, i got some italian co-workers who call sauce gravy and it is the strangest thing in the world to me... like ill have some macaroni with gravy on it... wtf are u talking about bro that sounds disgusting... thoughts?
That's the real deal Italian American east coast way to say it. Do those same people have Sunday gravy? My Grandma (Dad's side) calls it gravy. I always called it sauce and refer to all pasta as spaghetti, my wife and her family (her dad's Italian side) call all pasta Macaroni (which it really is). Only yuppies and aristocrats specify what kind of Macaroni they're eating :D :D .
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

TopNotch86 wrote:to me its brown stuff u put on turkey, i got some italian co-workers who call sauce gravy and it is the strangest thing in the world to me... like ill have some macaroni with gravy on it... wtf are u talking about bro that sounds disgusting... thoughts?

Yeah im with you on that one. I got some wop cousins in Brooklyn thatll say gravy (older), most just say sauce.
"Nice guys finish last. awesome guys finish on her face" - Charlie Sheen
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Big_Billa wrote:

Yeah im with you on that one. I got some wop cousins in Brooklyn thatll say gravy (older), most just say sauce.

My Italian Grandma used to call her Marinara sauce gravy too (she canned hers in mason jars) and she was from the old country.......... Her recipe was amazing as she would saute the garlic and olive oil w/ anchovies then put the vegetables, two kinds of wine and tomatoes then finish w/ fresh herbs.......... It was her base sauce or (mother sauce) she used w/ everything.............
Chef
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

chef97 wrote:
Big_Billa wrote:

My Italian Grandma used to call her Marinara sauce gravy too (she canned hers in mason jars) and she was from the old country.......... Her recipe was amazing as she would saute the garlic and olive oil w/ anchovies then put the vegetables, two kinds of wine and tomatoes then finish w/ fresh herbs.......... It was her base sauce or (mother sauce) she used w/ everything.............
That sounds great......I've never cooked a marinara sauce,I just get it out of a Ragu bottle and fix it up.I like a semi sweet sauce though,got a local place that has the best I've ever found.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

chef97 wrote:

We do this at the end of every summer. Next week we'll boil and seed our san marzano's and plums, make sauce, jar it and box and cover it. It'll sit in the back of the pantry or in the basement until Christmas eve. We typically do pomodoro, marinara and puttanesca.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:
chef97 wrote:

We do this at the end of every summer. Next week we'll boil and seed our san marzano's and plums, make sauce, jar it and box and cover it. It'll sit in the back of the pantry or in the basement until Christmas eve. We typically do pomodoro, marinara and puttanesca.
Nice,my country ass family opens a jar on some hamburger and mixes it with noodles and calls it Spagetti,lol.When I want good Italian food I eat out,theirs a good spot around here that has the best lasagna with a semi-sweet sauce that I've ever had.
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

regulardude wrote:
Hardcorebee, you got a sauce recipe to pass along?

I got you. It's organic too so you know it is healthy.

BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

regulardude wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
chef97 wrote:

Fuuuuck, you guys are legit.

Chef, you got your grandma's recipe?

Hardcorebee, you got a sauce recipe to pass along?
Yeah I 2nd that,we need a good sauce recipe.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote: Hardcorebee, you got a sauce recipe to pass along?
BIGBrandon2785 wrote:Yeah I 2nd that,we need a good sauce recipe.

First, get one of these- Makes your life a lot easier. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... ato-press/ Doesn't have to be from this company but something like this will suffice.

I'll give you guys a Pomodoro recipe. It's really easy and you can add what you want to it based on your preferences. Note: If you're using canned whole peeled or crushed tomatoes, check the nutrition facts on the back and look for the sodium content. If you're boiling, peeling and seeding your own tomatoes then you don't have to worry about it.

Recipe based on about 56-60 oz or just over 2 cans of crushed or peeled tomatoes.

Ingredients:
Two cans of whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes-http://www.21food.com/products/san-marz ... 17587.html
2.5 table spoons of Extra Virgin olive oil- Don't get cheap shit either, go with a nice semi expensive brand. Your butcher or baker or local Salumeria should have a nice selection and they'll also give you great suggestions in which is right for your taste.
Half cup of Garlic cloves peeled
Four leaves of Fresh Basil
Quarter cup of Fresh chopped Parsley
Oregano
Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
1.5 tea spoon Sugar
Two bay Leaves

First remove all seeds from the tomatoes. If you have a tomato press the seeding process takes a very short amount of time. If not, place two large bowls next to each other. Fill one with both cans of tomatoes. With a spoon open the each tomatoes and remove seeds (seeds will make the sauce bitter), when complete place seeded tomato in empty bowl, repeat process until all seeds are removed. Then take a stainless steel strainer (or whatever tool you have that is similar) and pour remnants of the first bowl through strainer into the second bowl. With your hands, crush each seeded tomato one at a time (that's the old school way I was taught as a child), you can use a hand blender on a slow speed if you choose.

Dump peeled garlic cloves in a large heavy bottom pot. Smash, crush or muddle cloves into the bottom of the pot using a meat tenderizer or an unopened, label removed washed full can of tomatoes. I use this technique so that no garlic flavor is lost on the cutting board. All the flavor remains in the pot Once completed add the extra virgin olive oil.

Heat garlic and olive oil on medium heat, cook until the garlic become aromatic but not brown.

Slowly pour in tomatoes being careful not to splash hot oil on yourself or any bystander.

Bring to a simmer and add parsley and basil. With the basil, tear each leaf into threes or fours over the pot and add to mixture, again we don't want to lose any flavor on the cutting board. Stir in ingredients. Let simmer for 5 minutes stir as needed.

Bring sauce down to low heat and a pinch of oregano and salt and pepper to taste, add bay leaves stir in ingredients. Let simmer on low for another 8-10 minutes depending on how thick you like sauce. I like it on the thin side.

Finally add sugar stir and remove from heat, you're done. Simple, easy and great with anything.

I hope you guys enjoy this. This is a great base sauce that allows you to add a lot of different ingredients to it. I use it for Zuppa di Pesce, Red Clam Sauce, spaghetti and meatballs and I'll also puree it and use it for pizza. It can also easily be converted into traditional Mainara sauce.

(Don't eat the bay leaves)
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:
regulardude wrote: Hardcorebee, you got a sauce recipe to pass along?
BIGBrandon2785 wrote:Yeah I 2nd that,we need a good sauce recipe.

First, get one of these- Makes your life a lot easier. http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... ato-press/ Doesn't have to be from this company but something like this will suffice.

I'll give you guys a Pomodoro recipe. It's really easy and you can add what you want to it based on your preferences. Note: If you're using canned whole peeled or crushed tomatoes, check the nutrition facts on the back and look for the sodium content. If you're boiling, peeling and seeding your own tomatoes then you don't have to worry about it.

Recipe based on about 56-60 oz or just over 2 cans of crushed or peeled tomatoes.

Ingredients:
Two cans of whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes-http://www.21food.com/products/san-marz ... 17587.html
2.5 table spoons of Extra Virgin olive oil- Don't get cheap shit either, go with a nice semi expensive brand. Your butcher or baker or local Salumeria should have a nice selection and they'll also give you great suggestions in which is right for your taste.
Half cup of Garlic cloves peeled
Four leaves of Fresh Basil
Quarter cup of Fresh chopped Parsley
Oregano
Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
1.5 tea spoon Sugar
Two bay Leaves

First remove all seeds from the tomatoes. If you have a tomato press the seeding process takes a very short amount of time. If not, place two large bowls next to each other. Fill one with both cans of tomatoes. With a spoon open the each tomatoes and remove seeds (seeds will make the sauce bitter), when complete place seeded tomato in empty bowl, repeat process until all seeds are removed. Then take a stainless steel strainer (or whatever tool you have that is similar) and pour remnants of the first bowl through strainer into the second bowl. With your hands, crush each seeded tomato one at a time (that's the old school way I was taught as a child), you can use a hand blender on a slow speed if you choose.

Dump peeled garlic cloves in a large heavy bottom pot. Smash, crush or muddle cloves into the bottom of the pot using a meat tenderizer or an unopened, label removed washed full can of tomatoes. I use this technique so that no garlic flavor is lost on the cutting board. All the flavor remains in the pot Once completed add the extra virgin olive oil.

Heat garlic and olive oil on medium heat, cook until the garlic become aromatic but not brown.

Slowly pour in tomatoes being careful not to splash hot oil on yourself or any bystander.

Bring to a simmer and add parsley and basil. With the basil, tear each leaf into threes or fours over the pot and add to mixture, again we don't want to lose any flavor on the cutting board. Stir in ingredients. Let simmer for 5 minutes stir as needed.

Bring sauce down to low heat and a pinch of oregano and salt and pepper to taste, add bay leaves stir in ingredients. Let simmer on low for another 8-10 minutes depending on how thick you like sauce. I like it on the thin side.

Finally add sugar stir and remove from heat, you're done. Simple, easy and great with anything.

I hope you guys enjoy this. This is a great base sauce that allows you to add a lot of different ingredients to it. I use it for Zuppa di Pesce, Red Clam Sauce, spaghetti and meatballs and I'll also puree it and use it for pizza. It can also easily be converted into traditional Mainara sauce.

Damn rite,I'm defintally trying this,thanks bro...............if I can the sauce in mason jars,do I need to add a preservative??
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote:Awesome. Thanks, man. I will absolutely try this out.

You have a Bolognese recipe?
Sure. Make this one first and tell me how it comes out.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote:
I'd rather do the Bolognese first since it's my favorite sauce.

But I won't push the man with the recipes. :lol:
Alright I'll help you out, I don't really like bolognese sauce but I'll post one. This is not something my family traditionally eats. I'll post one that we made when I worked at an Italian Restaurant in New Haven Connecticut when I was in college, I've tweaked it for my taste a little. The one I posted above is specifically the one we're making and jarring this (or next) week. It's also very versatile.

But here goes

Note: I never measure anything or cook by a specific time frame. I go by sight and taste. For the purpose of posting a recipe I'll include measurements and times that I think are correct, you can add or take away according to your taste.

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive oil.

one cup of chopped celery

one cup of chopped carrots (if you snack on baby carrots, use them they're already peeled.)

one cup of chopped onions

one cup of milk or half cup of half half and half cup of water. Either one is fine.

quarter lb of pancetta, prosciutto or bacon if you can't get either one of the first two chopped fine.

lb of ground veal

lb of ground pork

half cup of red wine (Use a wine you would drink, not some Frazia boxed crap)

Big wooden spoonful of tomato paste

small spoonful of beef base or two beef bouillon cubes.

Kosher Salt

black pepper

three bay leaves

Instructions:

In a big pot heat up the Olive Oil and add the vegetables. Sweat the veggies for 8 minutes or until soft/translucent (I don't know what kind of burner you're using but medium to low medium is best just dont burn them or you have to start all over). Add the meats and stir them into the veggies (crank up the heat to high medium or low high for this). Continue to stir and allow meat to brown but not sear. Then add the milk, the wine and the tomato paste, the bay leaves and the bullion cubes. Allow simmer on a low or medium low setting for about 90 minutes or preferred thickness. Salt and pepper to taste.

I serve this over fresh wide tagliatelle pasta with grated Parmigiano or Pecorino Romano cheese.

BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

If I want to can the sauce in mason jars,do I need some kind of preservative??
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

BIGBrandon2785 wrote:If I want to can the sauce in mason jars,do I need some kind of preservative??
Lemon juice in the bottom of the mason jars should do the trick. Just a little, maybe a tablespoon.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote:You're the man, hardcore.

Thank ya, sir.

I'll leave it up to wifey to decide which one we make first.
Cool, please let me know how it works out.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Thanks for sharing your recipes hardcorebee24! Your recipe(s) sounds amazing and very similar to my Italian grandma's recipe only when she would saute the garlic and olive oil she would add several anchovies filets...... Then after adding / cooking the vegetables she would add two kinds of wine a dry red and a sweet cream sherry wine but the rest of your recipe is very similar....... It's kind of a shame that hardly anybody has time to cook like this anymore we are all in such a hurry nowadays...... We work, then go home, work, home, rinse repeat.............
Chef
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

chef97 wrote:Thanks for sharing your recipes hardcorebee24! Your recipe(s) sounds amazing and very similar to my Italian grandma's recipe only when she would saute the garlic and olive oil she would add several anchovies filets...... Then after adding / cooking the vegetables she would add two kinds of wine a dry red and a sweet cream sherry wine but the rest of your recipe is very similar....... It's kind of a shame that hardly anybody has time to cook like this anymore we are all in such a hurry nowadays...... We work, then go home, work, home, rinse repeat.............
Thanks I hope you try and like and please add some suggestions or improvements that you see fit. Is your Grandmother Sicilian or from the Amalfi coast. They cook heavily with Anchovies. My relatives are from Campania and Lombardy specifically Naples and Como. Maternal side is Neopolitan, which is where the Pomodoro sauce comes from, they traditionally don't put anchovies in their sauces, even puttanesca. I love anchovies though. It's a part of our antipasto and I do cook with it sometimes. I love it on Caesar Salad. I'll often toast some thinly sliced french bread slap some anchovies on it for a snack.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:
chef97 wrote:Thanks for sharing your recipes hardcorebee24! Your recipe(s) sounds amazing and very similar to my Italian grandma's recipe only when she would saute the garlic and olive oil she would add several anchovies filets...... Then after adding / cooking the vegetables she would add two kinds of wine a dry red and a sweet cream sherry wine but the rest of your recipe is very similar....... It's kind of a shame that hardly anybody has time to cook like this anymore we are all in such a hurry nowadays...... We work, then go home, work, home, rinse repeat.............
Thanks I hope you try and like and please add some suggestions or improvements that you see fit. Is your Grandmother Sicilian or from the Amalfi coast. They cook heavily with Anchovies. My relatives are from Campania and Lombardy specifically Naples and Como. Maternal side is Neopolitan, which is where the Pomodoro sauce comes from, they traditionally don't put anchovies in their sauces, even puttanesca. I love anchovies though. It's a part of our antipasto and I do cook with it sometimes. I love it on Caesar Salad. I'll often toast some thinly sliced french bread slap some anchovies on it for a snack.
You guessed it she was Sicilian all the way.... Andiamo a mangiare!!! "let's eat" in Italian....... LOL
Chef

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”