can i cook up clams I froze a year ago?

Food & beverages Discussions
hardcorebee24

can i cook up clams I froze a year ago?

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Forgot I had two lbs of little necks in the downstairs freezer. Are they good to cook? Was going to steam them in white wine and butter.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
WhyteHypeBG
TTR Suppl. Challenge #10 Super Champion

Re: can i cook up clams I froze a year ago?

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

I'd thaw them and see if they smell funny. If they stink like shit, they're probably not ok to eat. :lol:

Don't forget that Scrotes Day is April 30th!
Sing All Day, Drink and Sing All Night!
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

WhyteHypeBG wrote:I'd thaw them and see if they smell funny. If they stink like shit, they're probably not ok to eat. :lol:
Thanks brotha. Grandmas in town, doing up some bay scallops, lobster, crab and I was gonna do clams because I have them. Not so sure now. She's 91, don't wanna kill her.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
WhyteHypeBG

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

hardcorebee24 wrote:
WhyteHypeBG wrote:I'd thaw them and see if they smell funny. If they stink like shit, they're probably not ok to eat. :lol:
Thanks brotha. Grandmas in town, doing up some bay scallops, lobster, crab and I was gonna do clams because I have them. Not so sure now. She's 91, don't wanna kill her.
Yeah, no doubt, man. The smell test has usually served me pretty well throughout my life. I have some venison in the freezer that's from last fall, some of it has kept well (for some reason) and some hasn't. But, generally, if it smells bad, I wouldn't eat it.

Don't forget that Scrotes Day is April 30th!
Sing All Day, Drink and Sing All Night!
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:
Yeah I don't think I would try year old clams.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

WhyteHypeBG wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
Yeah, no doubt, man. The smell test has usually served me pretty well throughout my life. I have some venison in the freezer that's from last fall, some of it has kept well (for some reason) and some hasn't. But, generally, if it smells bad, I wouldn't eat it.
That test works for bearded clams too.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

BIGBrandon2785 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
C'mon, what's the worst that can happen?
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

[quote="h]
BIGBrandon2785 wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
C'mon, what's the worst that can happen?[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You gonna be shittin for a week,lol...............Naw forreal though I never make seafood but I love it,whats the best way to cook crab legs and scallops??Also whats a good fish to grill??Im not a fan of salmon or tilapia,but ive had sea bass before and liked that.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Steam the crab legs. Depends what kind of scallops you have, sea or bay. I like to season them and cook bay scallops in white wine garlic and butter. Sea scallops which are the big ones have tons of recipes. One good one for the grill is to wrap them in bacon and skewer them and grill em up. I also have rolled them in flour seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano and old bay then pan seared them and served them under a shallot cream and spinach sauce.

Fish for grilling: Tuna, Mako Shark, Chilean Sea Bass, swordfish and Mahi Mahi are fish I like to grill.
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:Steam the crab legs. Depends what kind of scallops you have, sea or bay. I like to season them and cook bay scallops in white wine garlic and butter. Sea scallops which are the big ones have tons of recipes. One good one for the grill is to wrap them in bacon and skewer them and grill em up. I also have rolled them in flour seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano and old bay then pan seared them and served them under a shallot cream and spinach sauce.

Fish for grilling: Tuna, Mako Shark, Chilean Sea Bass, swordfish and Mahi Mahi are fish I like to grill.
My local butcher has shark steaks,I'm thinking I might give one a try.How would you marinate it??Lemon pepper and olive oil?
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

BIGBrandon2785 wrote: My local butcher has shark steaks,I'm thinking I might give one a try.How would you marinate it??Lemon pepper and olive oil?
I let them sit in a balsamic reduction (it's expensive) that I cut with soy sauce after seasoning them with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder for about 4 hours. If you don't have balsamic reduction or balsamic vinegar handy you can use balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing instead, my wife actually prefers it this way. I like Ken's Salad dressing personally. Some can take or leave the soy sauce. Lemon pepper, salt and olive oil I imagine are also very good. Teriyaki is also a great marinade for any kind of fish particularly tuna and shark. Remember these guys will cook fast. Cook until the fish flakes and take it off. I prefer Tuna cooked medium- medium rare. Shark cook it through but I don't like it overcooked.
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:
BIGBrandon2785 wrote: My local butcher has shark steaks,I'm thinking I might give one a try.How would you marinate it??Lemon pepper and olive oil?
I let them sit in a balsamic reduction (it's expensive) that I cut with soy sauce after seasoning them with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder for about 4 hours. If you don't have balsamic reduction or balsamic vinegar handy you can use balsamic vinaigrette salad dressing instead, my wife actually prefers it this way. I like Ken's Salad dressing personally. Some can take or leave the soy sauce. Lemon pepper, salt and olive oil I imagine are also very good. Teriyaki is also a great marinade for any kind of fish particularly tuna and shark. Remember these guys will cook fast. Cook until the fish flakes and take it off. I prefer Tuna cooked medium- medium rare. Shark cook it through but I don't like it overcooked.
Right on,ima pick up some fresh crab legs and tuna steaks this week then.Ill let you know how it works out :mrgreen: Also I have problems finding Old Bay seasoning around here,I might have to hit the fish market.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

BIGBrandon2785 wrote: Right on,ima pick up some fresh crab legs and tuna steaks this week then.Ill let you know how it works out :mrgreen: Also I have problems finding Old Bay seasoning around here,I might have to hit the fish market.
Yeah bro let me know. Hope it works out. Most fish markets will have Old Bay.
SmartyBeardo

Post by SmartyBeardo »

Did you actually feed your 91 year old grandmother one year old clams? If you haven't and are considering it, just stop. Wrap them up real good and dispose of them properly.
SmartyBeardo is a fictional character, owned and operated by the creator. Events depicted by SmartyBeardo are fictitious. Any similarity to actual events is purely coincidental.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

SmartyBeardo wrote:Did you actually feed your 91 year old grandmother one year old clams? If you haven't and are considering it, just stop. Wrap them up real good and dispose of them properly.
Defrosted them and served them to her on the half shell raw. Shes eating them as we speak, and I think we have a winner. She loves em!!
SmartyBeardo

Post by SmartyBeardo »

hardcorebee24 wrote:
SmartyBeardo wrote:Did you actually feed your 91 year old grandmother one year old clams? If you haven't and are considering it, just stop. Wrap them up real good and dispose of them properly.
Defrosted them and served them to her on the half shell raw. Shes eating them as we speak, and I think we have a winner. She loves em!!
You inheriting or something? Be honest. Poor old broad.
SmartyBeardo is a fictional character, owned and operated by the creator. Events depicted by SmartyBeardo are fictitious. Any similarity to actual events is purely coincidental.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

SmartyBeardo wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:
No, I'm kidding. I did scrub them and steam them this afternoon and they were delicious. I didn't serve them on the half shell raw. They were really good. Tons of garlic lemon and butter.
SmartyBeardo

Post by SmartyBeardo »

hardcorebee24 wrote:
SmartyBeardo wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote: Defrosted them and served them to her on the half shell raw. Shes eating them as we speak, and I think we have a winner. She loves em!!
No, I'm kidding. I did scrub them and steam them this afternoon and they were delicious. I didn't serve them on the half shell raw. They were really good. Tons of garlic lemon and butter.
Lol, I figured you were kidding, but I am still surprised you actually ate them.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Did anybody die?
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

5_burowz wrote:Did anybody die?
Nope, they were delicious
chef97

Post by chef97 »

A rule of thumb in the kitchen is "when in doubt, throw it out!"............ :D
Chef
VIP

Post by VIP »

my father worked in some nice hotels cooking[palace,sands,and others] and came out on tv cooking, he told me they would throw out anything over 6 months frozen or one week in the refrig! i have always lived by that, sometime my stray cats will eat anything left over a week in the refrig but certainly not me or my kids!

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”