What is your "signature" dish

Food & beverages Discussions
tmoney1224

Re: What is your "signature" dish

Post by tmoney1224 »

the13r wrote:I guess we're known now for our party with mechoui meat, mainly pork or BBQ chicken breasts

Personally my lasagna is my signature dish that is the most popular. I often get request to do multiple lasagnas for family birthdays or events...

Everything is done from scratch and i never ate a better lasagna :wink:
Would you mind posting your lasagna recipe? I have made lasagna a bunch of times, but I've never yet found one that I really like. Majority of the time, I get a really "dark almost burnt" flavor (don't know how else to describe it) that I'm not a huge fan of and I don't really taste it in other peoples lasagna. I thought it was from putting too much garlic, but I just don't think that is it any more.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: They also tend to get really watery as well, so any tips to avoid that is appreciated.
Last edited by tmoney1224 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:I make fantastic Blue Ribbon Baby Rack Ribs.

Won't release my ingredients but I'll tell you the technique. I don't remove the membrane. I dry rub them for 12-24 hours prior to cooking. Then I coat them in BBQ sauce that I make from scratch. After coating them I wrap them in plastic wrap and cook them just like that @ 190 degrees for 5-7 hours depending on size and how many racks I'm making. 4 racks or less in a conventional oven you only need 5 hrs. When they're done I pull them out of the plastic, re coat if needed and either broil them, or throw on an open grill mopping with more sauce if needed.

My wifes favorite is my roast duck with an apricot chutney, rosemary smashed potatoes (with skin) and baby carrots.
I've heard of the plastic wrap method before, but I am just scared to death that something is going to leach (flavor, chemical, etc) from the thin plastic or the plastic is going to actually burn off. From your description it doesn't sound like it is a problem for you.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

tmoney1224 wrote:
the13r wrote:I guess we're known now for our party with mechoui meat, mainly pork or BBQ chicken breasts

Personally my lasagna is my signature dish that is the most popular. I often get request to do multiple lasagnas for family birthdays or events...

Would you mind posting your lasagna recipe? I have made lasagna a bunch of times, but I've never yet found one that I really like. Majority of the time, I get a really "dark almost burnt" flavor (don't know how else to describe it) that I'm not a huge fan of and I don't really taste it in other peoples lasagna. I thought it was from putting too much garlic, but I just don't think that is it any more.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: They also tend to get really watery as well, so any tips to avoid that is appreciated.

they get watery often because you probably cut it and eat it right after or only a few minutes after it's out

I wait a good 10 minutes before digging in

Mine is mainly a mushroom lasagna

i do the sauce with grated carrots, yellow bell peppers (for a little sweet), hot italian sausage, garlic, onions and fresh herbs

you can use any kind of pasta or even make hem yourself. Even over ready can actually give a decent result.

need to put more sauce (more liquid sauce than chunks) in the bottom, and alternate between sauce and pastas...

Now you'll be VERY suprise at what comes next but it's suprisingly the favorite part of my lasagna for everyone who tastes it

after you put the middle pasta row, you put a can of mushroom cream instead of the sauce and chop half a pound of FRESH mushroom in slices, then alternate pasta and sauce again till you're near the top... on top i put sauce and then grate a blend of xtra strong cheddar and mozzarella, chop slices of green bell pepper (so they make round slices, shape of a clove...), finely dice a white onion and sprinkle on top so it gives the cheese kind of a pizza flavor... salt, freshly grinded pepper and voila

sincerely DEAD EASY and i know the mushroom layer sounds weird, but again it's the best thing... this is one of the first reciepe my mother showed me when i was about 10

i think the burnt flavour might be from the lack of sauce in the bottom and maybe the type of pan used. i use the big pyrex ones... the tin sometimes causes that burnt thing if it's not thick enough

About the garlic, i'd dice it as fine as possible and make it liquify in the pan when you start the sauce with butter and olive oil... made sure to take out the center part of the garlic.

again nothing hard... i make MUCH MUCH harder reciepes but that one is an easy and yummy one imo

Don't forget to let the lasagna cool down quite a bit... it's like a steak, all the juices will get back in the pastas and lasagna so you have Max flavour.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

tmoney1224 wrote:

I've heard of the plastic wrap method before, but I am just scared to death that something is going to leach (flavor, chemical, etc) from the thin plastic or the plastic is going to actually burn off. From your description it doesn't sound like it is a problem for you.

Oh shit same here

but then again i never made ribs since i'm really not a big fan of meats i have to chew off the bone
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

the13r wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

they get watery often because you probably cut it and eat it right after or only a few minutes after it's out

I wait a good 10 minutes before digging in

Mine is mainly a mushroom lasagna

i do the sauce with grated carrots, yellow bell peppers (for a little sweet), hot italian sausage, garlic, onions and fresh herbs

you can use any kind of pasta or even make hem yourself. Even over ready can actually give a decent result.

need to put more sauce (more liquid sauce than chunks) in the bottom, and alternate between sauce and pastas...

Now you'll be VERY suprise at what comes next but it's suprisingly the favorite part of my lasagna for everyone who tastes it

after you put the middle pasta row, you put a can of mushroom cream instead of the sauce and chop half a pound of FRESH mushroom in slices, then alternate pasta and sauce again till you're near the top... on top i put sauce and then grate a blend of xtra strong cheddar and mozzarella, chop slices of green bell pepper (so they make round slices, shape of a clove...), finely dice a white onion and sprinkle on top so it gives the cheese kind of a pizza flavor... salt, freshly grinded pepper and voila

sincerely DEAD EASY and i know the mushroom layer sounds weird, but again it's the best thing... this is one of the first reciepe my mother showed me when i was about 10

i think the burnt flavour might be from the lack of sauce in the bottom and maybe the type of pan used. i use the big pyrex ones... the tin sometimes causes that burnt thing if it's not thick enough

About the garlic, i'd dice it as fine as possible and make it liquify in the pan when you start the sauce with butter and olive oil... made sure to take out the center part of the garlic.

again nothing hard... i make MUCH MUCH harder reciepes but that one is an easy and yummy one imo

Don't forget to let the lasagna cool down quite a bit... it's like a steak, all the juices will get back in the pastas and lasagna so you have Max flavour.
Thank you so much! When you say "can of mushroom cream" is that cream of mushroom soup? Also, no ricotta layer? I'm guessing you sub the ricotta layer for the mushroom layer?

Yeah, sitting here thinking about it, I wonder if it is lack of sauce in the bottom. I always use as little as possible in that step and maybe it is biting me. I also use glass/pyrex dishes when I make it. I think it's got to be something in the cooking though, not the ingredients.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

the13r wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:

Oh shit same here

but then again i never made ribs since i'm really not a big fan of meats i have to chew off the bone
If you have to chew your ribs meat off the bone, you are doing it wrong. :P

One of the reasons I'm not a big fan of fried chicken is eating it off the bones, so I know where you are coming from.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

tmoney1224 wrote: Thank you so much! When you say "can of mushroom cream" is that cream of mushroom soup? Also, no ricotta layer? I'm guessing you sub the ricotta layer for the mushroom layer?

Yeah, sitting here thinking about it, I wonder if it is lack of sauce in the bottom. I always use as little as possible in that step and maybe it is biting me. I also use glass/pyrex dishes when I make it. I think it's got to be something in the cooking though, not the ingredients.

The good old Campbell mushroom cream soup!!

i skip the ricotta indeed

if i'd do a spinach lasaga then i'd put ricotta... but i'm a big mushroom fan so this receipe is the on i do. i know it soulnd weird but again try it, you'll see!
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

the13r wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote: Thank you so much! When you say "can of mushroom cream" is that cream of mushroom soup? Also, no ricotta layer? I'm guessing you sub the ricotta layer for the mushroom layer?

The good old Campbell mushroom cream soup!!

i skip the ricotta indeed

if i'd do a spinach lasaga then i'd put ricotta... but i'm a big mushroom fan so this receipe is the on i do. i know it soulnd weird but again try it, you'll see!
Perfect. I will be trying it and let you know.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

tmoney1224 wrote:
It's not and costco brand plastic wrap works great and has a lot of integrity as far as not letting the bones poke through the plastic. You just have to remember to cook at a very low heat. Look at it like this, people drink very hot coffee and eat really hot foods off of plastics and Styrofoam everyday without any issue. This is no different. The method is tried and true just don't use too much heat. If using a convection oven instead of a conventional oven keep a closer eye on things or cook longer lower. Saran Wrap has a melting point of 265 degrees, keep it around 200 or below and you should be good. Just don't think you're going to start the ribs at 5pm for 7 pm dinner. I like to let the rub season the meat for at least 24hrs but in a pinch I've started the cooking process 12hrs after seasoning.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:I make fantastic Blue Ribbon Baby Rack Ribs.

Won't release my ingredients but I'll tell you the technique. I don't remove the membrane. I dry rub them for 12-24 hours prior to cooking. Then I coat them in BBQ sauce that I make from scratch. After coating them I wrap them in plastic wrap and cook them just like that @ 190 degrees for 5-7 hours depending on size and how many racks I'm making. 4 racks or less in a conventional oven you only need 5 hrs. When they're done I pull them out of the plastic, re coat if needed and either broil them, or throw on an open grill mopping with more sauce if needed.

My wifes favorite is my roast duck with an apricot chutney, rosemary smashed potatoes (with skin) and baby carrots.
Why not put em on a smoker??You just not like the smoke flavor?Or just easyer in the oven?
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

hardcorebee24 wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:
It's not and costco brand plastic wrap works great and has a lot of integrity as far as not letting the bones poke through the plastic. You just have to remember to cook at a very low heat. Look at it like this, people drink very hot coffee and eat really hot foods off of plastics and Styrofoam everyday without any issue. This is no different. The method is tried and true just don't use too much heat. If using a convection oven instead of a conventional oven keep a closer eye on things or cook longer lower. Saran Wrap has a melting point of 265 degrees, keep it around 200 or below and you should be good. Just don't think you're going to start the ribs at 5pm for 7 pm dinner. I like to let the rub season the meat for at least 24hrs but in a pinch I've started the cooking process 12hrs after seasoning.
Butcher paper works good too.
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

I know THEY say it isn't dangerous to cook in plastic. To that I have 5 words "Reduced sperm count and Testosterone". If foil is not an option, I'd go with the butcher paper.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

Cagiva9 wrote:I know THEY say it isn't dangerous to cook in plastic. To that I have 5 words "Reduced sperm count and Testosterone". If foil is not an option, I'd go with the butcher paper.
Tried and true. Do what works for you.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
Erison

Post by Erison »

Steak massaman. Or Chicken Tikka Massala. I like curry.
Done posting. RIP TTR.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

stenchasaurous wrote:Lamb and beef roasts are probably my favorite things to make.

I season both initially pretty similarly with a good crust of coarse grained sea salt and coarse-ground black pepper. I usually drizzle them with a bit of olive oil prior to seasoning, partly for the taste and partly because it literally helps the seasoning stick to the meat. For lamb I'll also add dried rosemary and fresh mint from my herb garden.

I've done it on the grill and in the oven, and the key is regular rotation with replenishment of the spices to the exterior as you go, and even more importantly, not to overcook it. IMO Meat is best flavor-wise when it's rare to medium rare. If I'm cooking for myself, it will be bloody. If there are other people, I'll cook it a bit more but cooking things past medium is a complete waste of good meat if you ask me. I'll usually use a high heat at first to crisp up the fatty rind and then low and slow afterwards. In the oven that means broil and then convect, while on the grill you can get more creative.

Sometimes with lamb I'll roast it in a deeper pan with white wine vinegar and cover the top with foil to hold the moisture in. I find this method to work better with less fatty lamb roasts. For the fattier roasts, which I prefer, doing it this way makes it difficult to get the fat to the proper (not gross) consistency without overcooking the lean tissue, so I tend to avoid it.

For sauce, I believe a good sauce must strike the balance of enhancing the flavor but not swamp it. For beef roasts, I usually make a horseradish sauce. I just buy sour cream and mix it with organic pure horseradish. If I'm feeling really serious, I'll buy the horseradish and grate it myself, but that can be a pain in the ass if you're in a hurry. For lamb, if I'm at home I'll make a simple mint sauce with white wine vinegar and crushed mint. If I'm in a rush, I'll buy mint jelly.

Nothing special, but I believe in keeping it pretty simple when it comes to cooking.
I'm interested in your spice replenishment method. I maybe just over thinking but are you basically just basting it? Do you keep adding salt and pepper? Just sprinkle on what you can or do you make a rub with the olive oil and keep brushing it on?
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Erison wrote:Steak massaman. Or Chicken Tikka Massala. I like curry.
I love curry, don't eat it very often because my S/O isn't a fan. Do you have any special methods or ingredients?

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”