i like cooking with Manchego Cheese
because it seems to stand up to heat really well
i use it to top my baked chicken breasts and it comes out fine

swiss cheese doesn't seem to stand the heat all that well
it got like liquified on me!
it was ok
but almost looked like soup! lol

big difference in the prices, lol

is there any cheese that is good for baking but not as expensive as Manchego Cheese?
tmoney1224

Re: chicken with cheese question

Post by tmoney1224 »

I have not had Manchego Cheese, but I always enjoy a nice slice of pepper jack on my chicken (usually in sandwich form).
classicboxfan

Post by classicboxfan »

VIP wrote:i like cooking with Manchego Cheese

it was ok

is there any cheese that is good for baking but not as expensive as Manchego Cheese?
What type of Manchego cheese is it ?

Viejo or Curado ? Based on what your application is I assume Curado and I would say Mozzarella if it's Viejo style one would say a cheese like Asiago. The thing is high quality Mozzarella and Asiago are not exactly cheap either.

I am not a believer in substituting cheaper ingredients in recipes anyway. If you like something stick to it. If you are on a tight budget like I am you get the best to make the best you just make the dish much less often. A big compromise I know but better than making a pale imitation of a dish you know and love. Those replacement cheeses, while great in there own right, can never replicate authentically the flavor profile of a completely different cheese.
VIP

Post by VIP »

classicboxfan wrote:

it was ok

Viejo or Curado ? Based on what your application is I assume Curado and I would say Mozzarella if it's Viejo style one would say a cheese like Asiago. The thing is high quality Mozzarella and Asiago are not exactly cheap either.

I am not a believer in substituting cheaper ingredients in recipes anyway. If you like something stick to it. If you are on a tight budget like I am you get the best to make the best you just make the dish much less often. A big compromise I know but better than making a pale imitation of a dish you know and love. Those replacement cheeses, while great in there own right, can never replicate authentically the flavor profile of a completely different cheese.
yeah, i guess you are right
"don't fix it
if it ain't broken", lol
my sister said i could use swiss
but it just didn't come out the same

usually you get what you pat for right?
classicboxfan

Post by classicboxfan »

VIP wrote:
classicboxfan wrote:

it was ok

yeah, i guess you are right
"don't fix it
if it ain't broken", lol
my sister said i could use swiss
but it just didn't come out the same

usually you get what you pat for right?
honestly what I do is just make those dishes that require pricey ingredients less often due to my budget. Each and every cheese has a different flavor profile even if they sometimes share some similar qualities. It really changes the taste of a meal IMHO. I am no pro like chef97 , I am barely an amateur but I am a pro eater and flavor is everything to me. Maybe chef 97 will chime in with his expert opinion ?
chef97

Post by chef97 »

Cheese usually works best during the last 10-15 minutes of baking/cooking exception would be baked pasta dishes like lasagna.....
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Not a big fan of Chicken and chese or stuffed chicken

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”