serious cooking question out there for the chefs

Food & beverages Discussions
classicboxfan

serious cooking question out there for the chefs

Post by classicboxfan »

Can one of the expert chefs out there tell me the textbook method for boiling an egg so that it peels easily ?

I have heard different methods/ tricks ( ie. type of pot used for boiling, shocking the boiled eggs in an ice bath, salt/vinegar in the water) and tried them all but none of them gives me consistent results.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Damaged whites matter not for something like egg salad ( except it adds 10X the labor to the prep process) but as the holidays begin to approach and I make my patented "angel" egg platter for family functions I need all my egg white halves to be "perfect" . I have grown tired of having to make extra just to over-compensate for the damaged product that gets discarded.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.
chef97

Re: serious cooking question out there for the chefs

Post by chef97 »

Place your eggs gently into pot and run cold water 3/4 way full.... Heat over med high heat and when pot boils reduce heat so as to boil eggs gently then continue to boil for 5-6 minutes..... Then take pot to sink and run cold water, you can even add some ice to stop cooking process.... As soon as you are able touch eggs begin to peel, the shell should come off easier if the eggs are slightly warm still..... Return eggs to refrigerator at least one hour prior to consumption.... Remember eggs cook best on medium to medium low heat... If you peel then cut your boiled eggs and the yolks are a slightly green color inside means the eggs are a bit over cooked but they are still good to eat.... However if you cook them slowly you will get best results whether you pan fry or boil you eggs....

The reason a Chef's hat has 100 pleats? It signifies that after properly trained a "Chef" can prepare an egg 100 different ways.... :D
Chef
classicboxfan

Re: serious cooking question out there for the chefs

Post by classicboxfan »

chef97 wrote:Place your eggs gently into pot and run cold water 3/4 way full.... Heat over med high heat and when pot boils reduce heat so as to boil eggs gently then continue to boil for 5-6 minutes..... Then take pot to sink and run cold water, you can even add some ice to stop cooking process.... As soon as you are able touch eggs begin to peel, the shell should come off easier if the eggs are slightly warm still..... Return eggs to refrigerator at least one hour prior to consumption.... Remember eggs cook best on medium to medium low heat... If you peel then cut your boiled eggs and the yolks are a slightly green color inside means the eggs are a bit over cooked but they are still good to eat.... However if you cook them slowly you will get best results whether you pan fry or boil you eggs....

The reason a Chef's hat has 100 pleats? It signifies that after properly trained a "Chef" can prepare an egg 100 different ways.... :D

thanks for the tips, I will try it.

I remember on the 1st season of Top Chef Tom Coliccio ( spelling?) said that when he is interviewing chefs for his restaurant he has them fry an egg. If they can do that perfectly they can do anything. Thought it was odd at the time I heard it but the more I live and breathe I realize it aint easy and he may have been right.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”