Favorite meal all time

Food & beverages Discussions
WhyteHypeBG
TTR Suppl. Challenge #10 Super Champion

Re: Favorite meal all time

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

the13r wrote:I really like Chili. I think That's my fav right now. A bed of basmati rice, my homemade chili sauce and a shit load of grated extra strong cheddar
You ever use venison in your chili, Astor?

Don't forget that Scrotes Day is April 30th!
Sing All Day, Drink and Sing All Night!
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

I already have problem with eating meat now, i just can't eat wild meat (meat from other than elevage)

So no never did

usually just use some locally produced pork

boil my own blend of beans

pastene tomatoes

sambal oelek for the heat

oinions/celery/green and yellow bell pepper

even put garlic and my own blend of spices

pretty much it

Do you prefer chili with venison?
WhyteHypeBG

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

the13r wrote:Do you prefer chili with venison?
I love venison chili because the meat is so much leaner than beef or pork. Venison doesn't make for great burgers, but I really like it in chili.

tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

WhyteHypeBG wrote:
the13r wrote:Do you prefer chili with venison?
I love venison chili because the meat is so much leaner than beef or pork. Venison doesn't make for great burgers, but I really like it in chili.
Yeah, I have had venison chili multiple times and it is always delicious.
SmartyBeardo

Post by SmartyBeardo »

By far, Russian feasts, usually on New Year's Eve (Russian Christmas), starting around 10pm, going until about 5am, and on International Women's Day, starting between 3 and 4pm and going until at least 10pm. It involves between 10 and 20 dishes, not including the meat / poultry and dessert. Vodka, champagne, beer, wine, and cognac flows. Everyone, no matter how many, sit together around a long table. The dishes are not huge, because everyone paces themselves eating small portions of whatever they like. The food comes in waves and the vodka comes in volleys. Everyone talks at once until someone does a toast. There is always someone who takes their toasts entirely too seriously, telling long stories involving tears.

There are usually at least two or three types of fish involved, not including the caviar. There are always at least two styles of beet salad, a korean style carrot salad, an eggplant dish or two, salami, slices of cheese, cheese and pressed garlic spread (on fresh tomatoes sprinkled with fresh dill if at our house), fresh breads of at least two varieties, pickles, olives, pickled asparagus, at least one potato dish (mashed mixed with spinach and sour cream, topped with cheese and baked has become a favorite), liver pates of multiple varieties, fresh sauerkraut, and always my fruit salad. There is usually one meat (pork or lamb), often shezlick (shish kebabs), and a poultry (usually chicken but more often a sauerkraut, sausage and apple stuffed duck at our place). Sometimes I do ribeyes or prime rib roasts, but Russians are more comfortable preparing pork, lamb and chicken. They had little beef in Russia in the past.

Dessert is often honey cake, an eight to 12 layer homemade creation of ultimate decadence. I have added the American touch of slow churned ice cream to put it completely over the top. Sometimes it might be Napoleans. When my oldest kid's mother in law is over, it could be anything, since she is a master pastry chef in Russia to this day. Of course, Russian chocolates of several varieties make the rounds during the waning hour or two of the party to go with the hot cups of tea.

These feasts are tradition with Russians for special occasions. i have had families with very limited means put on dinners like this in honor of my presence, although i knew full well that they would be living on not much more than bread and tea for weeks after. Protest is futile, and even humiliating to them. I have watched bone thin kids gorge themselves until they puke in decades past because they knew that the good food would be gone very soon and they wanted to taste as much as they could.

Those days are mostly gone for the Russians that I know, but the feasts live on, thank goodness.

edit; I forgot several things but most importantly the Russian stuffed pastas: pylmini, verenyki, peroshki.
SmartyBeardo is a fictional character, owned and operated by the creator. Events depicted by SmartyBeardo are fictitious. Any similarity to actual events is purely coincidental.
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

the13r wrote:I really like Chili. I think That's my fav right now. A bed of basmati rice, my homemade chili sauce and a shit load of grated extra strong cheddar
Damn I think your the only person I've heard of besides myself that eats rice with their chili.
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

A good hamburger.
SmartyBeardo

Post by SmartyBeardo »

SmartyBeardo wrote:By far, Russian feasts, usually on New Year's Eve (Russian Christmas), starting around 10pm, going until about 5am, and on International Women's Day, starting between 3 and 4pm and going until at least 10pm. It involves between 10 and 20 dishes, not including the meat / poultry and dessert. Vodka, champagne, beer, wine, and cognac flows. Everyone, no matter how many, sit together around a long table. The dishes are not huge, because everyone paces themselves eating small portions of whatever they like. The food comes in waves and the vodka comes in volleys. Everyone talks at once until someone does a toast. There is always someone who takes their toasts entirely too seriously, telling long stories involving tears.

There are usually at least two or three types of fish involved, not including the caviar. There are always at least two styles of beet salad, a korean style carrot salad, an eggplant dish or two, salami, slices of cheese, cheese and pressed garlic spread (on fresh tomatoes sprinkled with fresh dill if at our house), fresh breads of at least two varieties, pickles, olives, pickled asparagus, at least one potato dish (mashed mixed with spinach and sour cream, topped with cheese and baked has become a favorite), liver pates of multiple varieties, fresh sauerkraut, and always my fruit salad. There is usually one meat (pork or lamb), often shezlick (shish kebabs), and a poultry (usually chicken but more often a sauerkraut, sausage and apple stuffed duck at our place). Sometimes I do ribeyes or prime rib roasts, but Russians are more comfortable preparing pork, lamb and chicken. They had little beef in Russia in the past.

Dessert is often honey cake, an eight to 12 layer homemade creation of ultimate decadence. I have added the American touch of slow churned ice cream to put it completely over the top. Sometimes it might be Napoleans. When my oldest kid's mother in law is over, it could be anything, since she is a master pastry chef in Russia to this day. Of course, Russian chocolates of several varieties make the rounds during the waning hour or two of the party to go with the hot cups of tea.

These feasts are tradition with Russians for special occasions. i have had families with very limited means put on dinners like this in honor of my presence, although i knew full well that they would be living on not much more than bread and tea for weeks after. Protest is futile, and even humiliating to them. I have watched bone thin kids gorge themselves until they puke in decades past because they knew that the good food would be gone very soon and they wanted to taste as much as they could.

Those days are mostly gone for the Russians that I know, but the feasts live on, thank goodness.

edit; I forgot several things but most importantly the Russian stuffed pastas: pylmini, verenyki, peroshki.
Btw, wedding / feast tonight, starting at 4pm with appetizers, ending sometime tomorrow morning. African Texan marrying into a Jewish Moscow family.

Traditional Texas BBQ and sides mixed with traditional Russian feast. Vodka, champagne, vino, cognac, and a keg or two of Rickards Red will flow. I'll see you ten pounds later.
SmartyBeardo is a fictional character, owned and operated by the creator. Events depicted by SmartyBeardo are fictitious. Any similarity to actual events is purely coincidental.
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote:Feast of the Seven Fishes
Every Christmas Eve. Very nice.
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
WhyteHypeBG

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

regulardude wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote: Every Christmas Eve. Very nice.
Far and away my favorite meal every year. I start looking forward to it the day after Thanksgiving.

We also get a bunch of stuffed breads (one pepperoni, one sausage, broccoli rabe, etc.) and scungilli salad. Put together a couple gigantic trays of antipasti.

Then, of course, on to the pasta with octopus, shrimp, calamari, mussels, clams, etc.
Uh... ... ... You celebrate Christmas? Or are you one of those assholes that celebrates the "holidays", in general?

hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote: Every Christmas Eve. Very nice.
Far and away my favorite meal every year. I start looking forward to it the day after Thanksgiving.

We also get a bunch of stuffed breads (one pepperoni, one sausage, broccoli rabe, etc.) and scungilli salad. Put together a couple gigantic trays of antipasti.

Then, of course, on to the pasta with octopus, shrimp, calamari, mussels, clams, etc.
You're Italian too?
"Secrecy is for losers. For people who don't realize how important information really is."
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

i had this buffalo chicken chilli from some restaurant once, in nyc, cant remeber the name but it was fucking amazing.
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

regulardude wrote:
hardcorebee24 wrote:[
You're Italian too?

I'm a pizza bagel (half-Italian, half-Jew).
http://youtu.be/7RgLqoIBGAY
WhyteHypeBG

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

regulardude wrote:
WhyteHypeBG wrote:[

Uh... ... ... You celebrate Christmas? Or are you one of those assholes that celebrates the "holidays", in general?
I feel like I explain this to you once a month, Kendall Windham.

I do celebrate Christmas. My mom is Italian (Catholic), my dad was Jewish (atheist). In Judaism, your mother has to be Jewish for you to be "Jewish." So, technically, going by the religious code, I'm not really "Jewish." But, obviously, when you are talking about ethnically or culturally, then yes, I am part Jewish. No bar mitzvah, but we celebrated both Jewish and Catholic holidays growing up.
Just getting it on the record for the new guys, what with your dago moustache and your greasy hair.

hardcorebee24

Post by hardcorebee24 »

@ reg dude, yep.
dreadlock214

Post by dreadlock214 »

I like an old family classic Meatloaf with real mashed potatoes and roasted corn on the cob.
I've wined and dined with kings and queens, and I've slept in allies and dined on pork and beans."
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

dreadlock214 wrote:I like an old family classic Meatloaf with real mashed potatoes and roasted corn on the cob.
Yeah you cant go wrong with that,you eat yours with ketchup or brown gravy??
dreadlock214

Post by dreadlock214 »

BIGBrandon2785 wrote:
dreadlock214 wrote:I like an old family classic Meatloaf with real mashed potatoes and roasted corn on the cob.
Mustard and ketchup
I've wined and dined with kings and queens, and I've slept in allies and dined on pork and beans."
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

dreadlock214 wrote:
BIGBrandon2785 wrote:
Mustard and ketchup
Hmmmm,I never heard mustard before.For me it's brown gravy.

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”