Any fans of reality cooking shows out there ?

Food & beverages Discussions
classicboxfan

Any fans of reality cooking shows out there ?

Post by classicboxfan »

I must admit I am hooked on them. I find the energy level and the degree of expertise and analysis very very interesting!

Anybody out there watch them or have a personal favorite?

I am HOOKED on Bar Rescue, Restaurant Impossible, Mystery Diners, Restaurant Stakeout, and even pure cooking challenge shows like Chopped or Iron Chef America !

I find them very entertaining from a comedy and drama point of view. I also find them educational. You really learn a lot about practical people skills, sound managerial technique and overall business savvy. Lessons that you can apply to your own business interactions. I also marvel at watching talented chefs whip up something special out of a mixed bag of nothing in 30 minutes or less!

Anybody else out there feel the same or am I alone on this one?
tmoney1224

Re: Any fans of reality cooking shows out there ?

Post by tmoney1224 »

I am, though I don't know if you will help your rep since I am pretty much the token female of the board.

I love Chopped. They always use such unique ingredients that I might not have seen before or known how to cook. I can watch pretty much any of the TV Chef's shows they have. I used to watch a lot of DDD, but Guy is starting to wear on me a little, although I do love seeing a the cool restaurants out there.

I kind of stopped watching the Restaurant Impossible and the Stakeout shows because they all seem the same and/or fake to me.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Where i live we have lots of local and solid cooking shows on local products. But i am a huge fan of restaurant makeover although i've seen most of them so i listen to the serie a little bit less now. Kitchen Nightmares is my fav show from Gordon Ramsey. I like Bar rescue too although it's more staged and theatrical than the others
classicboxfan

Post by classicboxfan »

tmoney1224 wrote:I am, though I don't know if you will help your rep since I am pretty much the token female of the board.

I love Chopped. They always use such unique ingredients that I might not have seen before or known how to cook. I can watch pretty much any of the TV Chef's shows they have. I used to watch a lot of DDD, but Guy is starting to wear on me a little, although I do love seeing a the cool restaurants out there.

I kind of stopped watching the Restaurant Impossible and the Stakeout shows because they all seem the same and/or fake to me.

My rep ? :lol:

That's cute. I don't think I am too worried about that. My whole life I have felt like the token "Star-child" from another planet. I am what I am and have no plans anytime soon to change. Check out Bar Rescue if you ever have a mind to , I think it's on Spike TV. That's pretty good stuff and the makeovers they do ( unlike the budget jobs on the restaurant shows) are top shelf.
classicboxfan

Post by classicboxfan »

the13r wrote:Where i live we have lots of local and solid cooking shows on local products. But i am a huge fan of restaurant makeover although i've seen most of them so i listen to the serie a little bit less now. Kitchen Nightmares is my fav show from Gordon Ramsey. I like Bar rescue too although it's more staged and theatrical than the others

Kitchen Nightmares I have never seen, I'll have to check it out. Is it on the Food Network ?
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

food network, bbc canada here, and fox for the n-american new episodes.
classicboxfan

Post by classicboxfan »

the13r wrote:food network, bbc canada here, and fox for the n-american new episodes.

thanks, I'll be sure to check it out !

whereabouts in Canada do you live ?
Presteezh
President Of Zab Nation

Post by Presteezh »

Big Fan as well... Chopped, Hells Kitchen, Top Chef, Kitchen Nightmares, Most of Bobby Flays show, Iron Chef...
classicboxfan

Post by classicboxfan »

Presteezh wrote:Big Fan as well... Chopped, Hells Kitchen, Top Chef, Kitchen Nightmares, Most of Bobby Flays show, Iron Chef...

I enjoy the "Throwdown" show where Flay competes with other regional chefs against their signature dishes. He sometimes wins and sometimes loses but it's all in fun and you can bet the participating chef's get a real blast out of it.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

the13r wrote:Where i live we have lots of local and solid cooking shows on local products. But i am a huge fan of restaurant makeover although i've seen most of them so i listen to the serie a little bit less now. Kitchen Nightmares is my fav show from Gordon Ramsey. I like Bar rescue too although it's more staged and theatrical than the others
I loved Kitchen Nightmares, but enjoy the F word and his new one "Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course" much more.
classicboxfan

Post by classicboxfan »

tmoney1224 wrote:
I loved Kitchen Nightmares, but enjoy the F word and his new one "Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course" much more.

are those shows available on the same network that you see his other shows?
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

classicboxfan wrote:
tmoney1224 wrote:I am, though I don't know if you will help your rep since I am pretty much the token female of the board.

That's cute. I don't think I am too worried about that. My whole life I have felt like the token "Star-child" from another planet. I am what I am and have no plans anytime soon to change. Check out Bar Rescue if you ever have a mind to , I think it's on Spike TV. That's pretty good stuff and the makeovers they do ( unlike the budget jobs on the restaurant shows) are top shelf.
Noted, just thought I would give you the heads up. Glad to have a new poster on the food forum.
classicboxfan

Post by classicboxfan »

tmoney1224 wrote:
classicboxfan wrote:

Noted, just thought I would give you the heads up. Glad to have a new poster on the food forum.

Thanks.

Hope you did not think I was trying to be a wiseguy , I meant what I said most respectfully . It just struck me as funny from where I am so I wrote off the cuff. If you knew my path you would have shared the joke. It's been an interesting one. I hope you were not offended in any way.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

classicboxfan wrote:I must admit I am hooked on them. I find the energy level and the degree of expertise and analysis very very interesting!

Anybody out there watch them or have a personal favorite?

I am HOOKED on Bar Rescue, Restaurant Impossible, Mystery Diners, Restaurant Stakeout, and even pure cooking challenge shows like Chopped or Iron Chef America !

I find them very entertaining from a comedy and drama point of view. I also find them educational. You really learn a lot about practical people skills, sound managerial technique and overall business savvy. Lessons that you can apply to your own business interactions. I also marvel at watching talented chefs whip up something special out of a mixed bag of nothing in 30 minutes or less!

Anybody else out there feel the same or am I alone on this one?

I like most of these shows and a lot of the chefs are ultra talented to be sure.... But when the show Hell's Kitchen first came on scene and by a smaller degree now the competing chefs really suck..... Chef Ramsey could probably find more talented aspiring chefs in Beverly Hills (that are currently dishwashers) than some of the competing Chefs on that show....
Chef
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

yep got a little less interested in hell's kitchen after the 1st or 2nd season... Masterchef was also good but got a little less interested in it...

I like Masterchef better form the two though, more inspiration for making new dishes... i'll probably end up listening to the old seasons from the web with mylene during winter.
Presteezh
President Of Zab Nation

Post by Presteezh »

classicboxfan wrote:
Presteezh wrote:Big Fan as well... Chopped, Hells Kitchen, Top Chef, Kitchen Nightmares, Most of Bobby Flays show, Iron Chef...

I enjoy the "Throwdown" show where Flay competes with other regional chefs against their signature dishes. He sometimes wins and sometimes loses but it's all in fun and you can bet the participating chef's get a real blast out of it.
Yea that is one of my favorites. Flay def tries to win each one but it seems like he feels bad when he does lol.
Presteezh
President Of Zab Nation

Post by Presteezh »

the13r wrote:yep got a little less interested in hell's kitchen after the 1st or 2nd season... Masterchef was also good but got a little less interested in it...

I like Masterchef better form the two though, more inspiration for making new dishes... i'll probably end up listening to the old seasons from the web with mylene during winter.

Thats why I like Top Chef. Mostly established chefs the last ones I've seen one or two will have James Beard(spelling?) awards and what not. Some Top Chef guys now appear on Iron Chef and stuff.
chef97

Post by chef97 »

On a side note I met Bobby Flay once at an airport bar in Chicago once and he was a jerk..... Here's how the incident went down: Bobby Flay and another fellow sat down right next to me at the airport bar in Chicago and they were already in conversation.... I waited for a pause in their conversation and Mr. Flay and I made eye contact.... I immediately say hi and told him what a big fan I was of him and his show and that I was a Chef too..... He literally rolled his eyes at me and said "really" insert sarcasm then turned his back on me..... Bobby Flay is no doubt one of the most famous and successful celebrity Chef's in the US but the guy has a huge ego and is a jerk.....
Chef
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

classicboxfan wrote:

Thanks.

Hope you did not think I was trying to be a wiseguy , I meant what I said most respectfully . It just struck me as funny from where I am so I wrote off the cuff. If you knew my path you would have shared the joke. It's been an interesting one. I hope you were not offended in any way.
If I got offended easily I wouldn't have stayed on this board so long, haha. It was a bit of an inside thing here as well, there are a couple of posters that like to give me a hard time.

A little example of the horrible treatment I get around here :lol: http://www.the13thround.com/phpBB2/view ... n#p1282523

All in good fun. Again, happy to have you guys around.
tmoney1224

Post by tmoney1224 »

Presteezh wrote:
the13r wrote:yep got a little less interested in hell's kitchen after the 1st or 2nd season... Masterchef was also good but got a little less interested in it...

Thats why I like Top Chef. Mostly established chefs the last ones I've seen one or two will have James Beard(spelling?) awards and what not. Some Top Chef guys now appear on Iron Chef and stuff.
Oh yeah, forgot about Top Chef. I really like that as well. The level of Chefs has definitely improved through the years of the show.
classicboxfan

Post by classicboxfan »

chef97 wrote:On a side note I met Bobby Flay once at an airport bar in Chicago once and he was a jerk..... Here's how the incident went down: Bobby Flay and another fellow sat down right next to me at the airport bar in Chicago and they were already in conversation.... I waited for a pause in their conversation and Mr. Flay and I made eye contact.... I immediately say hi and told him what a big fan I was of him and his show and that I was a Chef too..... He literally rolled his eyes at me and said "really" insert sarcasm then turned his back on me..... Bobby Flay is no doubt one of the most famous and successful celebrity Chef's in the US but the guy has a huge ego and is a jerk.....

sorry to hear he was a jerk.

it is sometimes a shock to the system when these personalities don't match up with their on air persona . I have met a few notables here and there. Some were great down to earth people and some were absolute skunks. You can't tell by appearance. The ones you think will be snobs can end up being real, and visa versa.
classicboxfan

Post by classicboxfan »

tmoney1224 wrote:
classicboxfan wrote:

Thanks.

If I got offended easily I wouldn't have stayed on this board so long, haha. It was a bit of an inside thing here as well, there are a couple of posters that like to give me a hard time.

A little example of the horrible treatment I get around here :lol: http://www.the13thround.com/phpBB2/view ... n#p1282523

All in good fun. Again, happy to have you guys around.

cool :D
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

I can definitely see bobby flay being a dbag. He grew up in the most duchy neighborhood in the world possibly in the upper east side of manhattan. Even if he was just a high school drop out (which he was) and didnt become famous he'd probably be a dick. But I like his shows.

I love diners drive ins and dives, bizarre foods and no reservations. Not huge in the reality shows, but I did love getting high to iron chef Japan when it was in subtitles at like 2am. Shit would have me on the floor laughing.
"Nice guys finish last. awesome guys finish on her face" - Charlie Sheen
BIGBrandon2785

Post by BIGBrandon2785 »

BBQ Pitmasters is my shit.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

I watch almost all of them, I'm hooked.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."

Return to “Chef's Kitchen”