No One Said It Quite Like Scapp

straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Re: No One Said It Quite Like Scapp

Post by straycat »

John took a little time to sum up a brief summary of highlights that involved the infamous forum legend squatdog when the notion was put forth by fellow board meber Woobase that he take on Manny Pacquiao and Ricky Hatton.
The date of this is July 3rd 2008

ScapposeJohn wrote:Squatdog has lost to Heavy Bag by KO, Speed Bag by TKO and Turnbuckle by NC. Rumor has it that Hand Wrap challenged him to a fight but Squat had been too brutalized to accept. If you don't believe me then just ask Lurkster. We discussed this in detail when posting at espn.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Always willing to discuss fishing at the drop of a keystroke Rasta and John exchanged the following in a thread titled

"Scapp looks like Chinooks (King) fishing off again"

in the end John had a sense of when to find a way to cut the conversation to a close rather than take up the mantle for political or philosophical discussions that could run on till no end.

July 3rd 2008
ScapposeJohn wrote:
Rasta666 wrote:Second year in a row. I hope they dont go the way of the Cod. Whata shame.

All ocean fishing for salmon was closed early this spring from California and up north into Washington. Alaska even set strict limits on their commercial salmon harvest because a lot of what they catch in the ocean returns to rivers down here. The river fishing was limited here but I didn't even go out because of the low return. The Sacramento River in California was hit the hardest with the lowest return in history. From what I understand, it is because there was a low survival rate with the salmon once they reached the ocean due to a diminished amount of the food they eat during their 3 year stay before returning to spawn.

Salmon run in cycles so, hopefully, this is a one time occurrence since nothing at this magnitude has happened before. I sure hope so. Otherwise, there will be a big impact on fishing from here on out.

It's a shame and a very sad situation at this point but I'm hoping that it will improve.
Ratsa666 wrote:Very low counts here over the past five years. I have heard the cycle analogy before but this seems different. Even the First Nations people are thinking on a moratorium for the next 3 to 5 years along the Yukon River. I blame the huge floating canneries and greed along with undue care and attention. Come to think of it, I think I have only seen 5 or ten bee's in the last five years.
I guess these things should really not surprise us. Oh and John move this at your leisure btw, I realize its not boxing related Scapp. I just wanted to get it out for a minute on the main page. Not just for fishing them but the natural things noticed where I live, which is in the wilderness and our failure collectively as a species to do anything. This has nothing to do with politics anymore. is nothing left or right to what I have said until the following sentence. North America needs to completely boycott their fishing of any kind anywhere near this continents waters and forbid anyone from doing the same in [our] waters for Kings if not all species, at least for a few years. You would think as a species as evolved as we are that we would collectively think, shit perhaps we should give our food supply a chance to propagate a bit lol. Ok now I'm rambling lol

It's a shame and a very sad situation at this point but I'm hoping that it will improve.

I admire you're optimism.
ScapposeJohn wrote:It's time to start preserving what we have through careful harvesting instead of exploitation. Still, not enough is ever done until a species is threatened or endangered. I'll leave it at that. Otherwise I could go on forever.
straycat

Post by straycat »

After finding out that a member of the board suddenly turned into a super dog hero extraordinaire John took his inquiry straight to the source.
July 3rd again.
ScapposeJohn wrote:
Rasta666 wrote:
ScapposeJohn wrote:
So are you being charged for knocking the shit out of the town bully for kicking your dog? Just curious.

No John apparently he was well known to the cops and his reputation proceeded him. I had to go make a statement but the cop had a huge smile on his face and said charges would not be laid. The idiots who were drunk and recording on their cells only recorded him hitting the dirt lol. A chick and a young kid. They to are known to the police. Cop said its all hearsay even though I admitted to him throwing first. I was a little paranoid to be honest. As it turns out the cop is a big dog lover. He did tell me to watch my back though. Thanks for asking.

I'm thinking that the guy might not remember his ass whipping so maybe you should do it again when he's sober. That way you can kick the shit out of him twice and his reputation will be forever in the dirt where he's laying. LOL!
Just curious, was it a straight right that put the bastard down? Drunken bullies always seem to swing wide.
ScapposeJohn wrote:
Rasta666 wrote: Hahahaha. I did feel a little bad that he was drunk but he was not sloppy. Just a guy that gets 6 in him and thinks he's invincible.
Honestly not trying to sound all tough but he never got a punch off. I dont recall but know I hit him three times before he raised his hands up but they were raised on his way down. I think the finishing blow was a left hook. The womens statement said I hit him 4 times but it was three. I admit that I got butterfly's as I got closer seeing he had some major weight on me and still had his helmet on but he was so intent on yacking after I yelled "hey fuck face" that he removed and said something about my dog but I caught him mid sentence. He had no reason to kick my gentle dog to the mid section. None. That dog is like my kid. According to the cops he hangs out at the local breakfast club that opens at 9 am and closes at 2 pm so the chances on me catching him sober is probably unlikely.

SWEET!
straycat

Post by straycat »

Here was Johns initial entry into the mugs page witch drew a few comments, always jumping at the chance to mention his lovely family he was so inspired to reply.

Lord wrote:
RHJ1967 wrote:
ScapposeJohn wrote: Here is mine
Hey! I think I may still have that pic in an email somewhere! I remember that awesome dog!
That's a big friggin' dog there Scapp!

ScapposeJohn wrote:It's my daughter's dog. Some people think of Rots as mean but he's just a gentle giant.
straycat

Post by straycat »

TopBuzz was feeling a little aged on his 25th birthday and the older generation was giving him the business over his alleged disposition , Prime and John gave him quite a check on this day.

ScapposeJohn wrote:
Primetyme wrote:
TopBuzz wrote:you boys really know how to cheer a fella up

Just look at it this way, if your over the hill I'm at the top of my second hill. I'm 13 years older then you. Jeez Scap can't even see the hill anymore.

It's all downhill pal. Just keep in mind that I climbed a very big mountain so it will take quite some time to reach the valley.
straycat

Post by straycat »

A poll pitting Arturo Gatti against Ricky Hatton, here is somebody trying to welcome a female member to the board in what he thought was a subtle way, only to get his own awakening witch was co-signed John.
July 5th 2008
ScapposeJohn wrote:
RHJ1967 wrote:
BadlyBrowned wrote:
Welcome to a male-dominated message board. If you thought that was bad you're in for a rude awakening.

And FTR with all respect to Gatti he'd have never beaten any A level fighter in his career unless it was a blind sided KO (see Gatti-Rodriguez). Of course he had more heart than a Valentine's Day candy store but that's what people have been severely overrating him for.

Sweetie-I need no welcome. I've dealt with male dominated all my life (two older brothers, older male cousins, first girl in my generation). I guarantee you I didn't come here for sweet talk and cards and flowers. Ask anyone, I can sling shit with the boys no problem. I just hate generalizing insults like that.

Jen was posting at the espn board well before I showed up so she's been around the boxing scene for quite some time. I doubt if any rude awakening will happen with her.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Post by lurkyshaka »

That is a truly beautiful thread Stray.......its like we have him back!

Scappy was a true gentleman. Witty, intelligent, engaging and yet calm and gentle. I hope he's looking down and smiling along with us, at this wonderful trip down memory lane.

Many props Stray....great tribute to a great fella.
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

lurkyshaka wrote:That is a truly beautiful thread Stray.......its like we have him back!

Scappy was a true gentleman. Witty, intelligent, engaging and yet calm and gentle. I hope he's looking down and smiling along with us, at this wonderful trip down memory lane.

Many props Stray....great tribute to a great fella.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

great work stray, you guys are right

he's the only one who asked to search the archives of TTR and it was all worth it, magnificent work my friend
straycat

Post by straycat »

Thanks for the props guys. There is still quite a few more pages to come. I am intent on making more time for this.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
the13r
TTR

Re:

Post by the13r »

the13r wrote:
Scapposejohn wrote:
the13r wrote: No joke, we had more than 4 meters of snow this year and i dug with only a shovel 6 feet of snow deep on the whole roof , i was cutting chunks at a time, couldve built 4 igloos!! :lol:

beer time :D
Don't you mean off your house roof? If you put 6 feet of snow on it then you are one stupid SOB! LOL!

YEAH thats what i mean, but for me in french, since the snow is ON the roof, that sounded right the way i tell it and translate it, but youre right makes more sense that way.

Was a pain doing all this, there started to have more cases on the news of roof colapsing under the snow weight, and after inspecting things and due to my terrain disposition, i had more snow than all the neighboors... 6 feet i thought was too much, and one fo the doors in one of the rooms in my hoouse closed a little less well... anyway so i decide to begin the task of removing it since i was off... took me two days of very very hard work.
wow how could you guys read this stuff lol
straycat

Post by straycat »

When it was announced that Joe Cortez would be ref'ing the Klitschko/Thompson fight John who ussually kept his language pretty much clean had this reaction to the news.
July 10th 2008 for this one.
ScapposeJohn wrote:
Rasta666 wrote:
ScapposeJohn wrote: You know what? I really wasn't that interested in this fight fight but my curiosity just spiked.
Cause of Cortez Lol???? You cant be serious.
Yeah, I am. I want to see if he can fuck up another fight.
The comment was received in an amusing manner by the following members.
Rasta666 wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Marciano1952 wrote:LMAO

3Mosquitos wrote:LMAO! Good stuff scap. :lol: :lol: :lol:
later in the thread a member questioned Cortez height in relation to the chief participants in this bout, John was quick to point out that a refs respect is what is important.
ScapposeJohn wrote:
kolbs wrote:
Isn't Cortez a little small to be doing this fight?
Cortez isn't the dog in the fight. What he needs to do is have the respect of both fighter's. Consider Mills Lane who was smaller than Cortez and still had the respect from the fighters when he was the referee. Also, he was the third man on many occasions whether it was a heavyweight title fight or a ten rounder and did a good job controlling the action. That's my take on it anyway.
Last edited by straycat on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
straycat

Post by straycat »

On a morning when Scapp stepped outside his front door he saw something odd in the background.
We go to July 13th for this.
scappoosejohn wrote:I just stepped out in my front yard and looked over and noticed that it just erupted again. It's got a pretty good plume going up in the air.
scappoosejohn wrote:False alarm. What appeared to be an eruption from the mountain turns out to be a wildfire in the area that suddenly took off big time. My mistake. Anyway here is a picture of the wild fire from a news source. It looks just like when the mountain goes off.

Wasn't long before Woo chimed in prompting John to add a witty reply.
scappoosejohn wrote:
Woobase wrote:Wow, did you have to change your pants John? LOL.

When we hit Mt. Hood and made the trek back towards Seattle, we took the "little" detour and visited Mt St Helens....I cannot explain the sights....still mass devastation where trees are just knocked down in rows...but then you can also see how "nature" is coming back lush in other areas....herds of Elk....and from one ridge (I forget the name) you can still see smoke rising from the mountain. Amazing effects from the forces of nature....

I have some good shots on the 'puter!

Peace
I had just got out of the pool so no one will know the difference. HA!
straycat

Post by straycat »

The obvious group are always willing to chop it up over a good fishing topic.
Stench threw out a line that suddenly gave John the bug to go hit the water front but the Mrs reminds our dear friend he had other things to tend to on this morning.
Timeline for this July 11th 2008
scappoosejohn wrote:
stenchasaurous wrote:
scappoosejohn wrote:
You want a good casting, level wind reel that is dependable, then go with a Penn or Abu Garcia. You can spend a lot more for other brand names that may be more popular but it's just a bunch of bling. My take is that the less crap, whether on your rod or line makes for better fishing. In other words use good stuff but keep it simple.
Yeah, my first saltwater baitcaster I bought was a Penn, and I lent it to my best friend who lives on the coast because he can use it more than me, and he still has it and it works great. The last one I had was an Okuma, which I wasn't really excited about but the comparable Penn I wanted was out of my price range at the time. I had that one for a few years, and this new one I bought is another Penn, a Senator. I agree on the low frills stuff, especially in saltwater as the more gizmos, the more crap to screw up and get corroded. I just feel like every reel is a little different and I like to get used to them before I really put them in action on a trial run first, which me taking this new reel to the lake will be. For my spinning stuff, I usually go with mid-grade Shimano reels. The cheap stuff works, but has a tendency to be a little clunky and not reel fast enough at times, especially when casting lures upstream and reeling down on a fast moving stræm or river. The expensive stuff is basically the mid-grade stuff but with polished wooden handles and other similar gunk that I really don't care about, because I'm planning on using the dammed thing and not putting it on a wall :lol: As far as rods, unless I'm having to do some sensitive lure work, I'm not too picky. I'm partial to Shakespeare Ugly Sticks on general rods, as I think you get great bang for the buck.
Ugly Sticks are the way to go and the best buy for you dollar. That's all I use. I have friends that go out and buy these expensive rods but I have still to see where they can do any better. I can do just as good, even better, with a Shakespeare than those $150 and on up poles.
ScapposeJohn wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:
stenchasaurous wrote:Yeah, I never pay too much for a rod, and as I said, I'm not too picky so if something really nice is one sale for a comparable price I might snatch it up, but 4 out of the 5 rods I use on a regular basis or Ugly Sticks. They've always treated me well. The only one that was remotely expensive is a heavy duty 8' saltwater rod with the really heavy eyelets and that just to bend takes some strength. Always nice to meet another Ugly Stick guy, they really are great rods that you generally can't go wrong with and are almost always under $40. Man, I love talking fishing; it makes me want to get up early and get my stuff out :lol:
The rod is the reel. For me as mainly a fly guy its a maxim.
Funny you mentioned about getting up in the morning. I just said to my wife that I think I'll go and get a line wet in the morning. She promptly reminded me that I promised to mow the lawn before noon when our kids and theirs show up for a BBQ. OH well......
straycat

Post by straycat »

In discussing countdown shows John once again hits the nail right smack on the head.
We go to July 28th 2008 for this one
scappoosejohn wrote:
Papa1472002 wrote:
Banks187 wrote:They always leave me not knowing who to root for. Anyone else have this problem?
The only problem I have is that they can sell sand in a desert when it come to those countdown shows. They actually had knowledgeable boxing fans believing that............

Hopkins-Wright was gonna be a brawl

Steve Forbes actually had a chance of beating Oscar

Fernando Vargas was gonna be his old self against Mosley.....both times.

Rahman and Klitschko were actually gonna fight. (Yes, Klitschko-Rahman had a countdown show)
Exactly.

It's done for the sole purpose of selling a PPV. They want your coin. Nothing more or nothing less. That's my take on it anyway.
straycat

Post by straycat »

On a topic discussing a Camacho Sr comeback another topic found its way in.

The date for is July 18th 2008.
b0x1ng wrote:
scappoosejohn wrote:
b0x1ng wrote:I read that Arum actually approach both the Camachos and the Chavez families to try to set up a father-son card in the last couple of weeks.... God help us.
Comacho Sr. said the same in the interview about a father/son fight card. Myself, I could care less. And it wouldn't surprise me if they made it a PPV if the match ups are ever inked.
I'm telling you, I hope the broadcast van loses power if it happens..
John caps it all off in usual fashion.
scappoosejohn wrote:Amen to that!
straycat

Post by straycat »

Concerning a John/Asiku bout that had been canceled when neither fighter showed up for the weigh in. John decided to take a twisted turn to the topic and it eventually led to this.
The timeline is July 26th 2008
Primetyme199 wrote:
scappoosejohn wrote:
RimmyJice wrote:That's one of the most bizarre things I've ever heard in regards to a fight being cancelled...there HAS to be much more tho this story...
Maybe they both met up and decided to go out for a few beers instead!
They met up like in "Any Which Way You Can" and decided to fight it out in a barn instead.
scappoosejohn wrote:In that case, both probably got KTFO by the orangutan!
straycat

Post by straycat »

John was huge on David Haye, in a thread where James Toney called him out all lot of members where clamoring over the thought that this would be too much too soon for David Haye. It never materialized but John chimed in with a quaint solo comment to set his view on it straight and topped it off with his trademark remark.
The day was July 25th 2008
scappoosejohn wrote:I say bring on Toney and get this bullshit over with. If you think he looked bad in his second fight against Peter then just wait and see what happens in this fight. That's my take on it anyway.

BTW, it gets old real fast reading all this shit about Haye while fat Toney is all of the sudden a big challenge. Give me a friggin break! The dough boy will get cooked! SHEESH!

Later in the same thread Rasta, who wasn't buying what the board was shoveling dropped in with this.
RASTA666 wrote:He appears a bit chunky but Toneys in great shape.
John who had a history of appearing quite gullible at times was stumped and added this.
scappoosejohn wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:
scappoosejohn wrote:
Please tell me that you're joking about Toney. PLEASE!

Lol next time I'll throw in one of these bro :roll:
Good idea. You really scared me for a moment.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Still stymied by the disregard for David Haye John posed this question.
July 24th 2008, ( I seam to be going in reverse order :?)
scappoosejohn wrote:Why does everyone keep stating that Haye has never fought as a heavyweight when he did so last year against Tomasz Bonin and won by TKO? You all never saw or read about the fight or something? Just curious is all.
Later David left this response to which John coined a highly used phrase by another prominent figure in the sport.
scappoosejohn wrote:
David wrote:Scap,

I was wondering the same thing as you. People kept saying that he never fought at heavyweight which always confused me. Granted, Bonin may not have been the best out there but he still fought there and scored a win.
Good to know that I'm not the only one. I even considered borrowing Roy Jones' phrase, "y'all musta forgot". LOL
David immediately followed up with this comment.
David wrote:Haha I'm just trying to imagine you saying that in person.
I'm sure he was not the only one.
:)
straycat

Post by straycat »

Cee was being a good sport when posting up about Cotto's loss to Margarito.
John chimed in with this comment.
July 26th 2008.
scappoosejohn wrote:
ceelowsback wrote:I'm going through borderlibne depression right now...BUT...what is there to complain about though? He tried...we were screaming THROW PUNCHES...but he was hurt man....that dudes a warrior...Margo did to him what Cotto does to everyone else.
I REALLY dont thin he could beat him. Cotto dominated alot of those rounds...& Margo just kept trucking.
Why be depressed? I know you always say "ride or die" but you ain't the dog in the fight. And it was a good bout where Cotto has nothing to be ashamed of. He put up a good fight even though the outcome wasn't in his favor. That's my take on it anyway.
straycat

Post by straycat »

In an impersonation thread that became an instant hit, things where looking to turn negatively.
John while still exercising his administrative authority managed to also tie in the fact that it was this type of thread that brings the board closer together.

Timeline for this is July 31st 2008
regulardude wrote:
scappoosejohn wrote:
regulardude wrote:Got another:

Hey RHJ, you wanna see my ****?

Who am I?
Enough of that stuff. That just ain't right.
Scap! You're impersonating Scappy!!!
scappoosejohn wrote:
LOL! Yeah but it comes with being a mod. You all have fun but let's not do it to the point of causing ill feelings.

BTW, this is a great thread! It really shows how attached all of us are to one another.
straycat

Post by straycat »

In the same impersonation thread John found a way to input some of his seldom used but extremely witty humor.
Same date for this.
scappoosejohn wrote:
jeff_lacy_ko wrote:
Erison wrote:Witter knocks Hatton's head off in 2 rounds, bank it.
An unbiased well educated/well hung poster
Thanks for the props but I never said that.
straycat

Post by straycat »

A topic revolving around Oscar fighting Manny often centered on Oscar picking on a smaller guy.
July 31st 2008
RASTA666 wrote:
scappoosejohn wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:This is becoming nuthuggery. This man struggled to make this weight when he fought Tito! Get a grip! The man is not fighting at 147. If Oscar ever makes 147 on the scales I will kill myself. Would you people please cut the bullshit.
He said that making 147 wouldn't be a problem. Still, I'll believe it when I see it. And if he does then I wonder just how well conditioned he'll be for a fight, even with the expected weight gain come fight time.

He says a lot of things. When was the last time he fought at 147? Gatti I think. 7 years ago. Why would he kill himself to make 147 when he's fighting a feather grown in? He will probably have 15 pounds on Manny. Wheres the line?
John brought in some old school mentality to cap off this comment.
scappoosejohn wrote:Good points and I really don't have an answer. Also, fighting Pacquiao is a terrible match up. The whole idea stinks as far as I'm concerned. Remember when we were kids and always said, "pick on someone your own size"? The same still applies today.
straycat

Post by straycat »

A question was posed concerning how many PM's Astor receives in one day.
John was quick to reply in unique fashion.
July 31st 2008
scappoosejohn wrote:
RimmyJice wrote:My guess is 20.
Why don't you ask him via PM? LOL
straycat

Post by straycat »

Concerning a fellow members buddy getting taken for a pretty good chunk of cash the following later ensued.
August 4th 2008
scappoosejohn wrote:
m__de wrote:
IamZOD80 wrote:i like the one involving the british lottery or something like that. damn brits!!
or how about the one where your long lost relative dies in a third world country and leaves you 1 zillion dollars. lol.
I've received both by email and just delete them and block the address.

A good rule to follow is that if it sounds too good to be true then .............

Return to “TTR HOF”