No One Said It Quite Like Scapp

straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

No One Said It Quite Like Scapp

Post by straycat »

With Astor's Blessing I am going through Johns post count and combing through it for some of the quotes, sayings, tidbits of knowledge and of coarse the golden nuggets that was indicative and unique about our dear friend.

I am posting his signature quotation first and foremost. I googled the quote in it's entirety to find the author.
It came up nadda so it seams fitting the the first one was indeed one of his best.

If any member has a particular instance where John shared something with you and you would like to recount that experience please feel free to do so and if I can hone the searching skills over time I will do my best to locate the thread.

"A champion, a true champion is to take on all capable challengers. A true champion defends his title, and looks for matches that pose a threat in order to prove to the world he deserves to be called the best of the best."
Last edited by straycat on Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Scapposejohn way back in December of 07 wrote:Hey Rasta
How's your igroo holding up? HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rasta wrote:It ok...sand stait, no dethraw. My wife still get angry..you eat to much shrimp
Scapposejohn wrote:
Can you get clistmas tlee in a igroo?
Last edited by straycat on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Here is one in the early days concerning a Paquioa/Cotto clash

Scapposejohn wrote:Roach changes up about this fight more than a diapered baby. He has already said that Manny will KO Miguel in short order so why the worry over a low blow that can't happen from a downed fighter? SHEESH! Can he at least try to be consistent?
Last edited by straycat on Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Regarding a Bernard Hopkins vs. Arthur Abraham poll at 170 back on October 19th 2009
Scapposejohn wrote:
mekane wrote: I don't know but it would be boring. No idea how they would matchup, but I get the feeling Hopkins is too old at this point...

Holy Crap! Never thought I'd be reading that! HA!

You think Mekane would ever deny saying this way back when if it wasn't here in black and white?
Last edited by straycat on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

straycat wrote:Regarding a Bernard Hopkins vs. Arthur Abraham poll at 170 back on October 3rd 2006
Scapposejohn wrote:
mekane wrote: I don't know but it would be boring. No idea how they would matchup, but I get the feeling Hopkins is too old at this point...

Holy Crap! Never thought I'd be reading that! HA!

You think Mekane would ever deny saying this way back when if it wasn't here in black and white?

Obviously his account was hacked.
straycat

Post by straycat »

April 12th 2007
scappoosejohn wrote:
VancouverBrit wrote:I don't believe in God but millions do and they don't play chicken with high speed traffic to dodge demons :wink:
No they don't. Instead, some play with rattlesnakes and believe that the venom won't affect them when bitten.

Anyway, back to boxing. This stuff should be taken up on another forum ............ other than here.
Last edited by straycat on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Concerning Kelly Pavlik hitting a heavy bag with a baseball bat, this one took place January 29th 2008
Scapposejohn wrote:
marciano wrote:
Scappoosejohn wrote:
You need a baseball bat for that?

well with the power you can generate with a bat and the force it caries it can lossen your back and arms easyer than most ways

I've never heard that before but will take your word for it. Wouldn't a good massage get the same results?
straycat

Post by straycat »

From October 16th 2009, aka Chefs 49th Birthday.
Scapposejohn wrote:
chef wrote:Just got home half liquored up and am now officially 49 years old born in 1960.... So, naturally I'm a bit depressed... :(
Booze is a depressant so sober up you old fart! LOL

Happy birthday, Chef. Enjoy the evening.
straycat

Post by straycat »

From one of Johns I am gonna be a grandpa thread February 1st 2008
:D
Scapposejohn wrote:
chef wrote:Congrats to Scappy! I hope I'm not a grandpa for a while as my son is a 15 year old 10th grader and my little girl is 10 years old and my dumb ass wife just bought a training bra for recently... :shock:

HA-HAAAA!!! You'll be fighting off boys next and that's the truth! When they show up to see your daughter, just be sharpening a knife like in your avatar and then ask what the boy's intentions are. :lol:
Scapposejohn wrote:
Cee wrote:Congrats Scap! Those are some lucky kids.

my babygirl will be born any day now...and I'm already jealous of boys who dont even exist...only in my head....Jesus save me...
I'm getting upset over imaginary people....

And Congrats to you. Also, every dad goes through the anticipation of their daughter and boyfriends. I have two daughters and still recall their teens years very well.
Might be more to add from this one.
straycat

Post by straycat »

From January 28th 2008 in a trhead about Povetkien being a savior of the Heavyweight Division.
Scapposejohn wrote:
Kinggrissley wrote:Another bum heavyweight. Doesn't even have the pride to lose the gut.

That would be my short take on it.

If he is the "saviour" of the heavies then heaven help us.
Last edited by straycat on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Way back in February of 2008 in a thread about Williams losing to Quintana John added this little tidbit concerning Paul maybe needing a different trainer.
Scapposejohn wrote:You can't just blame it on the trainer. He didn't offer much in the corner but Williams knew what was going on in the fight. That being Quintana taking the fight to him and scoring very effectively. Also, I noticed William's ring walk and introduction. He seemed way to relaxed and confident as if it was some sort of cake walk. On the other hand, Quintana's entrance and behavior during the intros appeared much more serious and was evident in his demeanor. That caused me to think that I just may have picked the wrong fighter in this match up, which proved to be the case. So maybe it comes down to what the "Mongoose" once said, "It isn't the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog". That probably isn't a direct quote but it's awful close. So, in conclusion, don't always blame the trainer when the fighter is where the finger should be pointed towards. Williams figured he was "all that" and found out it wasn't so. That's my take on it anyway.
Last edited by straycat on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
straycat

Post by straycat »

John was a put your money where your mouth is kind of guy for sure.
This one from February 15th 2008, Taylor/Pavlik.
Scapposejohn wrote:I'm picking Pavlik and figure him to win by TKO or KO by round ten. No need for judges in this fight. And the few extra pounds plus a change in trainers isn't gonna help out Jermaine. In other words, "The Ghost" will take care of business in due order. That's my take on it so let me know what the rest of you pick, think or whatever. It's time to put up or shut up.
Scapposejohn wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:
Scapposejohn wrote:
Coin and we can walk and talk.
You don't do sigs and I don't do money. Bit of a dilemma. We should almost do fish hooks lol.
Fair enough Yukon man. Someday maybe I'll be able to show you a sharp hook and how to set it.
a few post later John added this one.
Scapposejohn wrote:Holy comeback batman! I never thought that so many would be picking Taylor in this fight. Any of you confident enough to put up a little coin on it? I'm ready and waiting to accommodate any reasonable offers.
Last edited by straycat on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Here is one from February 17th 2008, I am inquiring about a WWE PPV event called Now Way Out
Scapposejon wrote:
straycat wrote:
Scapposejohn wrote:LOL! A bunch of staged matches with a predetermined outcome but these guys have no way out? Talk about the irony of it all.
Well the saying going around is that unlike boxing with the WWE you can go in with the knoweledge that the outcome is gonna be fixed :lol:
Hey Straycat, I never looked at it that way. At least they know who is getting the shaft ahead of time. LOL!
Last edited by straycat on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
straycat

Post by straycat »

On June 2nd 2007 Cee was pretty pumped about the Ibragimov?Briggs fight
Cee wrote: YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SULTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and
Cee wrote:BUMP ME :D
shortly followed by
Cee wrote:YAYAYAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

WAR SULTAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LETS GET THIS SHIT POPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Witch finally brought about this
Scapposejohn wrote:
Cee wrote:
Scapposejohn wrote: Just playing with you a little is all, Ceelow. I just don't have the same enthusiasm for Ibragimov as you do.
I know...just look at the bright side....you can serve a nice big plate of crow a la ceelow if Ibrag gets humiliated tonight....

No need for that. There is nothing wrong with cheering on a fighter.

Actually, I figure Ibragimov to make a good showing of himself. Although I figure Klitschko to take the fight it wouldn't surprise me at all if it went the distance. In other words, I don't expect Sultan to fall that easily. He has a lot of heart and a pretty good chin to go with it.
Last edited by straycat on Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
straycat

Post by straycat »

On a "Who You Got" thread commonly put up by John, as well as "Put Up Or Shut Up" John dropped this reply to Rasta concerning the Marquez/Vasquez rubber match.
Scapposejohn wrote:
Rasta wrote:Israel wins by tko in round 7...late in the round for bonus points Scap :lol:

Take all the bonus points you want. Keep in mind that they are as worthless as the peanuts that Witter wants to fight Hatton. LOL!
Last edited by straycat on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
straycat

Post by straycat »

From what I can gather Butaloh is commenting on a reaction to the Marquez/Vasquez III fight
Scapposejohn wrote:
Butaloh wrote:So I'm sitting in this study hall, watching the fight on my computer (thanx again Astor) while 50 or so other people are busy studying away at their desks. Excellent fucking fight and I'm basically just teetering on the edge of my seat the entire time, sorta flailing my arms and head slightly every now and then as if to throw or slip a punch. But I'm mostly keeping it under control. Now in the 12th round as the momentum is building for Vasquez and the crowd is going nuts I start to get a little more fidgety, and then it happens. Vasquez knocks him into the corner with that last combo and I jump up out of my seat and let out an inappropriately loud "OOOH SHIT!" while clinching my fists in front of me. Then I sit down just in time to notice everyone in the hall looking at me like I'm a total schmuck.

Great fight though. :D
LOL! I was pretty excited myself, Dr. Schmuck. HA!
straycat

Post by straycat »

On February 8th 2008 Lord was upset with some TV show, John weighed in on the situation and Fast Eddie also crashed the conversation at the end.
fsteddie wrote:
Scapposejohn wrote:
Lord wrote: Whoever wrote that into the script Scapp, lol. I'm so upset....I can't believe they did that! Grrrrr.....
LOL! I'm not familiar with the show at all but maybe just breaking the scriptwriter's nose might be better than killing the guy outright.
Jeez Lord it's only a show, i sure wouldnt want to be the author of 'Humpty Dumpty'
Last edited by straycat on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
straycat

Post by straycat »

On March third westtm started a thread with this, to witch John added in with this quaint replay
Scapposejohn wrote:
westtm wrote:Okay, so I've been reading some comments about this fight on another board and wanted to get your honest perspectives. I know this fight was 2 years ago but I am just dumbfounded by some of the comments that I read. For one, this poster states that the fight was "close" and that Floyd was pretty much lucky to get the decision due to the Vegas judges. In addition, he personally scored the fight a draw, 114-114, and that's without the "knockdown". Also, Zab had Floyd hurt several times that night, and only because of his chin was Floyd able to stay in the fight. Whenever Judah tried to do something he was successful. He scored round 7,8 and 12 for Judah.

There were some other "interesting" comments made:
1. Cotto is overrated (as is Mayweather) and is not better than the Baldomir that beat Judah and Gatti. Shocked
2. Jesus Chavez is Floyd's best win.
3. Floyd didn't beat Oscar, and if Oscar was from another country with the fight being held there, neutral judges would have scored it 117-111 for him.
4. Mayweather is more overrated than Paul Williams.
5. Baldomir was not in shape for the Floyd fight, if he were the fight would have been close.

There's tons of other gems from this guy.

Anyway, let me know what you think, particularly about the Judah fight.

I didn't read through the other responses but my opinion is this guy has a box of rocks for brains. I can't think of a nicer way to put it.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Around the time prior to the Hopkins/Calzaghe match linked had a little fun with a thread titled "Hopkins wins in under 5"
Scapposejohn wrote:
Lagaidh wrote:
linked wrote: LMAO yo I just pulled my best Crimson impersonation as a joke. I guess everyone doesn't remember when he said Hopkins couldn't go four rounds with Calzaghe. This was a joke thread...

I REPEAT A JOKE!

I still havent decided who I think will actually win this fight as I like them both, I am reserving my pick till weigh in.

I thought...

Man when I read the post I thought, "Now linked isn't a fucking moron... this has to be bait..."

I took the bait.........just spit the hook though. You got me, Linked!
straycat

Post by straycat »

Here is one where the topic of the day was most recent fights you have seen in person from March 7th 2008.
Scapposejohn wrote:
Erison wrote:
Scapposejohn wrote:I took my daughter to the Mayweather Jr./Mitchell fight. We had front row ringside seats and the ring card girls were seated just in front of us. Life is good.

That would've been a fun one. Some celebs in the crowd I'm sure.

James Toney and Michael Jordan were there. My seats were better though. HA!
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

Great stuff!
straycat

Post by straycat »

Here is a side of John we never saw to much of.
:D
From March 14th 2008
Scapposejohn wrote:
Boxingfan1984 wrote:Im going to drill this weekend so I wont be posting til Sunday night. Later guys...
So just who is this lady you plan on drilling? Is there more than one or do you have a few lined up? Curious minds want to know!
straycat

Post by straycat »

Here was a discussion about Oscar possibly taking a dive against BHop back on March 20th 2008;
Scapposejohn wrote:
wimpy wrote: How can we tell how hard this body shot even was? I watched the footage and honestly from what I saw I couldn't tell.

I've been to plenty of fights in person. Even when local fighters land punches to the body it's much harder then what it seems like on T.V.

Unless we see better footage it's impossible to know for sure. Even then it still might not be detectable.

Crazy this is 3 pages. Do we have bias here? Laughing

You'll never get a clear answer. Some may be bias and others probably aren't. Still, it comes down to the opinion that each poster has from the fight.

I'll stick by my opinion just like those who disagree will stick by their own. Also, twenty years from now this same subject will continue. In other words, it will go on for perpetuity without any closure to the question. Kind of like the "phantom punch" in the Clay/Liston fight or the "long count" between Dempsey and Tunney. Hopkins/DLH isn't as big of a controversy but it certainly will contiue. That's my take on it.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Finding out here that Kahn was high on Johns radar.
Forgot to add the date but I am in March of 08 now.
Scapposejohn wrote:Khan has moved well beyond just being a prospect. Ring Magazine rates him at #7, WBC at #5, IBF at #10 and the WBO at #4. The only major boxing organization that rates him lower is the WBA at #12. Consequently, he is a major contender in the lightweight division who has proven himself worthy of his position.

Regarding a suspect chin, he was down in round seven against Drilzane but wasn't in any way hurt to where he appeared impaired. As a matter of fact, he went on to convincingly win the fight by a margin of 99 to 91 on all score cards. That's hardly someone whose chin should be under suspicion.

Khan will most likely be fighting for a world title in a year or so. My take is that he will do well and take the win, regardless of which champion he faces when the time comes.
Looks like he hit the mark on this guy.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Johm always had a sense of reminding folks what was real in life.
here was his suggetion to FighFanAl for his B Day
From March 24th 2008.
Scapposejohn wrote:
FightFanAl wrote: my friends took me out saturday...any suggestions on what i should do to celebrate tomorrow?
Enjoy your birthday. If you're not into another round of drinking then maybe some good food with close friends is in order.
Last edited by straycat on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TTR HOF”