Thank You for your Thoughts and Prayers

jskhosa
TTR Challenge #15 Super Champion
TTR Challenge #15 Super Champion

Post by jskhosa »

Wow, can't believe this happened but Scapp was a GREAT person. Thoughts and prayers will definitely go out to you and your family.

RIP Scapp.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

WOW

Im in total shock :shock: :(
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
Chi_Box
TTR Contributor

Post by Chi_Box »

I'm shocked - I am sorry for your loss, I don't even know what to say. He was a huge part of this board and will definitely be missed. You and your family will be in my prayers
marvelousmartian

Post by marvelousmartian »

I haven't kept up to date since James was on sort of waiting on Johns triumphant return. I can't explain it but this is crushing, I can only imagine how you feel. My heart goes out to the family of a great man.
Warriorking
TTR Contributor

Post by Warriorking »

This is not what I expected to read when I clicked on this thread. :cry: Our prayers go out to your family and thank-you for the up dates. Rest in peace John,you are truly a great man and friend.
Warriorking
Uppercut

Post by Uppercut »

Rest In Peace, John.

Thanks to Stray for breaking the news to me, and thanks to Mrs. Scapp & the whole family for keeping us informed. Truly sad day. But his memory on here will live long and well.

John is now up there talking to Chico Corrales about what a fight Pacquiao Vs. Cotto was :)

My prayers & condolences to the Scapp family and all the TTR members, sincerely.
RHJ1967

Post by RHJ1967 »

R.I.P my sweet and wonderful friend. We will all miss you beyond measure. Even though I'm almost never on here, all my "old" friends are never far from my thoughts and I am truly mourning with the rest of you.

Scappy, I will miss your emails and the pictures of the family you often included in them.

Much love to the whole Scappy family.
RHJ

"I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability."

Oscar Wilde

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which."

Douglas Adams

icefold

Post by icefold »

RIP MR. John
Walstan86

Post by Walstan86 »

It is good to hear that Old Scapp had his family and loved ones by his side at the end. Our prayers are with you, his family, and his soul.
Last edited by Walstan86 on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woobase
TTR Contributor

Post by Woobase »

I'm so damn sorry to hear the news of John's passing....dreadful, shocking, God-awful. My sincere condolences to all of John's family....he has told me many wonderful things about all of you. I am glad to have known John, albeit only via email, ESPN and TTR....

I am truly saddened by this news....John was a great, stand-up man with great integrity...and always the voice of reason. I know there are no words which can comfort any of you know...but your Dad will be sorely missed.

Inside joke, I always enjoyed kidding John, calling him "my captain"....I hope this is not offensive to anyone, but thought I'd share the Whitman poem....

O Captain my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weathered every rack, the prize we sought is won,
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
But O heart! heart! heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

O Captain! my Captain! rise up and hear the bells;
Rise up--for you the flag is flung for you the bugle trills,
For you bouquets and ribboned wreaths for you the shores a-crowding,
For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning;
Here Captain! dear father!
This arm beneath your head!
It is some dream that on the deck,
You've fallen cold and dead.

My Captain does not answer, his lips are pale and still;
My father does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will;
The ship is anchored safe and sound, its voyage closed and done;
From fearful trip the victor ship comes in with object won;
Exult O shores, and ring O bells!
But I, with mournful tread,
Walk the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.

Rest In Peace my Friend.
"We have wasted HISTORY like a bunch of drunks shooting dice back in the men's crapper of the local bar" - Charles Bukowski
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Post by lurkyshaka »

Words fail me tonight. I can only echo the thoughts of others. John was truly one of the most respected and decent men i knew of. He leaves a massive, gaping hole behind him. We've all lost a great man. My heart goes out to his family, who are all in my prayers.

Thanks for being my friend John, Gone but never to be forgotten.
Rest in peace and God bless.
bigstave007

Post by bigstave007 »

All I can say is WOW. I know I am not the only member that has a tear in his eye after hearing this news. I guess part of me thought that he would get past this. This is truely a sad day for us all. I am sorry to all of his family. I hope that you all know that this site will always be a living memorial to a great person and friend. And I am sure we will all be sharing stories of him for years to come. I regreat living so close to him and always being so busy that I never took up the offer to go fishing with him. RIP my friend. Have a fishing pole waiting for me when we meet again. Your memory definetly lives on.

One last thing I would like to share. I think my favorite memory I have of Scapp is all the new grandchild threads he seemed to post here every couple months lol. I loved reading how much love he had for his family, and how proud he was. Such a great person.

WAR SCAPP....RIP
Underweartaker

Post by Underweartaker »

I don't know what to say, I'm trully stunned. Just know that not a single soul on this board has a bad word to say about him.
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

bigstave007 wrote:All I can say is WOW. I know I am not the only member that has a tear in his eye after hearing this news. I guess part of me thought that he would get past this. This is truely a sad day for us all. I am sorry to all of his family. I hope that you all know that this site will always be a living memorial to a great person and friend. And I am sure we will all be sharing stories of him for years to come. I regreat living so close to him and always being so busy that I never took up the offer to go fishing with him. RIP my friend. Have a fishing pole waiting for me when we meet again. Your memory definetly lives on.

One last thing I would like to share. I think my favorite memory I have of Scapp is all the new grandchild threads he seemed to post here every couple months lol. I loved reading how much love he had for his family, and how proud he was. Such a great person.

WAR SCAPP....RIP
Yeah i recall Scap posting to inform us of the birth of one of his grandchildren. He was so proud and signed off the post with 'life is good'

I'll never forget that. So fiercely proud of his family and content with his lot in life. A great man, taken way too early.
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Post by KSTAT124 »

I'm filled with overwhelming sadness.

R. I. P., John. You can't imagine how much you'll be missed by all your friends here at TTR.

To Mrs. Scapoose, scappoosejames, and the rest of John's beloved family, you have my deepest sympathy. Scappy wasn't just a good guy, he was the best.
ceelowsback

Post by ceelowsback »

This is beyond shocking....I'm so sorry for your loss Mrs Scap. John was beyond honorable....I wish I had half his strength.
i will always remember the stand up guy, the truly fair person he always was w/ me. he really loved his family & that showed everytime (like Steve mentioned) he had a new grand kid....before, during & after...ScappooseJohn was someone to admire...definetly one of a kind. Rest in Peace bro.
TEAM PLATANO POWER - CARIBBEAN CONNECTION
scappoosejames

Post by scappoosejames »

Thanks to you all. If you have any other stories about Dad I would love to hear them. He married my mom 30 years ago and at the begining things were a little rough. But like my brother said to me last night after he passed, "Dad took in two punk kids from North portland and made us men". Thanks Dad... I Love You...
BostonBXG
TTR Donator II

Post by BostonBXG »

Wow. Unreal. Just read this now and got a bit choked up. Don't know what to say except I'm so sorry for your loss. Loss to all of us too. Very very sad to read this.

Rip Scapp John.

Man.............................
lurkyshaka

Post by lurkyshaka »

scappoosejames wrote:Thanks to you all. If you have any other stories about Dad I would love to hear them. He married my mom 30 years ago and at the begining things were a little rough. But like my brother said to me last night after he passed, "Dad took in two punk kids from North portland and made us men". Thanks Dad... I Love You...
James, I'm sure that your dad is looking down right now feeling incredibly proud of the 'two punk kids' he helped mould into men. He clearly did a great job.
butaloh
TTR Doctor

Re: Thank You for your Thoughts and Prayers

Post by butaloh »

Mrs Scappoose wrote:Dear Members of the Board,

It is with great sadness that we must inform you that Scappoosejohn has fought his last fight. Although he lost this fight he went out a champion. He received his 10 count at about 8:07pm Tuesday evening surrounded by family and friends. In his corner were his Five children (Ron aka Mossyoak, Dustin aka Wheelman, Enga aka Vikingprincess, James aka Scappoosejames and Deborah aka Pook), Eight grandchildren, his close friend fasteddie, his wife, as well as myself.
After arrangements have been made I will post memorial information. Thank you all again for all of your thoughts and prayers.

Mrs. Scappoose
I came on the board earlier but didn't notice this thread until a few seconds ago. I'm so sorry to hear this news and offer my sincere condolences for your family during this terrible time. John was without a doubt one of the most honorable men I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. He was essentially the only friend I ever met through the internet whom I made a point of trying to keep a regular correspondence with, even if it was not always frequent. The kind of integrity that was the fabric of his character, was such that it was clear to see even though I never had the fortune of meeting him in person.

My thoughts are with you and your family,
Ali.

Tehran in the winter.
Big_Billa

Post by Big_Billa »

This is not at all what I was expecting when I clicked on this. Im choking up right now writing this, but he was the first person I really talked to outside of the board going back 6-7 years ago. We always remained pretty good friends on the board, swapping fishing stories. Its too bad we never got that trip in, maybe in another life.

RIP JOHN
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

scappoosejames wrote:Thanks to you all. If you have any other stories about Dad I would love to hear them. He married my mom 30 years ago and at the begining things were a little rough. But like my brother said to me last night after he passed, "Dad took in two punk kids from North portland and made us men". Thanks Dad... I Love You...

Your dad sent me a beautiful portfolio of National Geos and I never opened it until recently. He knew what a nature nut I was. I never got the chance to thank him. I thought he was getting better. One of the many pictures he has sent me over the years of him with the family will hang at my office and my home permanently. I regret not making the extra effort to meet him when Eddie did the first time. I know he wanted to visit the Yukon also. That will bother me until the end of my time.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
Woobase
TTR Contributor

Post by Woobase »

RASTA666 wrote: I regret not making the extra effort to meet him when Eddie did the first time. I know he wanted to visit the Yukon also. That will bother me until the end of my time.
Ugh...you opened up a major festering wound of regret with those honest comments Rasta.....when you look back on your life, or the lives of others, regrets always seem to play a larger roll than those memories of happy times...guilt perhaps? BUT, I had the chance to meet John a few years back...my wife and I visited Seattle (my brother and his family), and we all took a trek to Mt. Hood in Oregon...traveling through Portland twice....(Scappoose, OR is just north/northwest of Portland I believe). I even spoke to my wife about spending a night in Portland, visiting John and his wife, and heading back to Seattle via the train. But in my selfishness to spend as much time with my brother (and my nephews), I didn't follow through with the plans...thinking there would be numerous opportunities to visit later....

I've always felt guilty for the choice and hope that John forgave me for the error....though not sure I will ever forgive myself.

Tons of fond memories about John....big time Duran fan, alwasy like to chid him about it...me being a Hagler fan. For some reason, I will never forget one of the first times John contacted me via email....over at ESPN....I was giving someone some major league crap about some insignificant topic....blasting away with smack...and John emailed me saying he actually showed his wife what I had posted and they both got a good chuckle out of it. Sorry, not sure why I shared that...but it has always stuck with me.

He was a big time Ali fan, too....

I, as many here, appreciate John's family coming on here and keeping us "internet" friends informed of John....thank you.
"We have wasted HISTORY like a bunch of drunks shooting dice back in the men's crapper of the local bar" - Charles Bukowski
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

I know that some times I made his job here less enjoyable though I believe the good things we shared far out weighed the bad. He kept me in the loop when I couldn't afford to watch fights on HBO and Showtime by sending me fights the following week they happened. Sometimes he would look for fights at my request that he wasn't circulating and would whoopty doo them and send them my way also. It made coming out of the wood work and getting back to posting at ESPN though everybody was gone except a has been 70's acid rock freak incognito who directed me here. I know at time folks we tend to let our testosterone get the best of us and that was the great thing about Scapp, he would come in and sort things out and wouldn't take sides on the matter or issues after the fact and still would give you a fair shake when the next time rolled around. He will be leaving quite a void folks. It would take a 10yard dump truck full of sand to fill his shoes. But we can do our part in the meantime, I am only human fellas but I will from this day do my best to honor his memory by not letting things get to me here and take the road of a higher standard and integrity like that of what John has left. I will simply move on from conflict rather than feed it.
Thanks John for being a special part of this place and a friend to me.
Tim
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
David
Administrator

Post by David »

straycat wrote:I know that some times I made his job here less enjoyable though I believe the good things we shared far out weighed the bad. He kept me in the loop when I couldn't afford to watch fights on HBO and Showtime by sending me fights the following week they happened. Sometimes he would look for fights at my request that he wasn't circulating and would whoopty doo them and send them my way also. It made coming out of the wood work and getting back to posting at ESPN though everybody was gone except a has been 70's acid rock freak incognito who directed me here. I know at time folks we tend to let our testosterone get the best of us and that was the great thing about Scapp, he would come in and sort things out and wouldn't take sides on the matter or issues after the fact and still would give you a fair shake when the next time rolled around. He will be leaving quite a void folks. It would take a 10yard dump truck full of sand to fill his shoes. But we can do our part in the meantime, I am only human fellas but I will from this day do my best to honor his memory by not letting things get to me here and take the road of a higher standard and integrity like that of what John has left. I will simply move on from conflict rather than feed it.
Thanks John for being a special part of this place and a friend to me.
Tim
Good words, Stray.

Return to “TTR HOF”