Because of my dad......

bigstave007

Post by bigstave007 »

Becuse of my dad i will never raise a hand to my children. and my kids will be raised knowing their dad would do anything for them. and they will pass along the new family trait to their children someday. It may be the one thing of importance I accomplishe in my life when it's all said and done. it will be my "legacy" sort of speak. That I change 2 kids lives, who will change their kids lives for the better.

I read through all the posts and see a lot of guys whos dad took off when they were little. trust me when I say having a dead beat dad that sticks around is no prize either.

btw, great posts guys
USMILMAN
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion

Post by USMILMAN »

From the bottom of my heart, i didn't want to bring up bad parts of ur childhood, or to get u guys emotional, so i apologise if i did. I was just giving a shout out to the greatest man I know, my step father. I am sorry to those whose bad feelings were brought back out.
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

USMILMAN wrote:From the bottom of my heart, i didn't want to bring up bad parts of ur childhood, or to get u guys emotional, so i apologise if i did. I was just giving a shout out to the greatest man I know, my step father. I am sorry to those whose bad feelings were brought back out.

No need. One of the best threads ever.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
OLDMONGOOSE

Post by OLDMONGOOSE »

Ya I think this is an awesome idea...i would almost like to run w/ it on a large scale and make it a book
R.I.P. Scap
tainos
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion
TTR Super Challenge 7 & Regular Challenge 20 & 22 Champion

Post by tainos »

scappoosejohn wrote:
tainos wrote:
USMILMAN wrote: Sorry to hear that.
It made me stronger. I actually learned how not to do things because of him. He was a reverse roll model.
I never knew that, Tainos.

My dad wasn't around very much when I grew up. Mainly because he was too busy starting a business and chasing women. And when I did see him I got worked pretty good. So I kind of understand the reverse role model. I never really learned what to do but I certainly learned what not to do. Today I have a loving wife, five children, eight grandchildren with a loving and respected relationship with everyone. And I'm certain that your situation is as well.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share some background with a good friend. You ain't the only one who has gone through this stuff. Stand tall, your a good man amongst men.
Scapp I think a lot of us have a lot more in common than just boxing.
Yo naci en Puerto Rico. Pero me cree en Nueva York. Pero nunca me olvidare, de mi tierra Borinquena.
Team Platano Power - Carribean Connection
USMILMAN

Post by USMILMAN »

regulardude wrote:Holy shit. I never realized there were this many bad experiences/memories/relationships with people's fathers on this board. Wow. It makes me feel almost guilty---my dad is like my best friend, and he's kind of a hero to me.
My step father and I are the same. That's why I did sort of an "ode" to my pops.
FightFanAL
TTR SuperFights Challenge #1 & TTR Challenge #16 Champion

Post by FightFanAL »

USMILMAN wrote:
regulardude wrote:Holy shit. I never realized there were this many bad experiences/memories/relationships with people's fathers on this board. Wow. It makes me feel almost guilty---my dad is like my best friend, and he's kind of a hero to me.
My step father and I are the same. That's why I did sort of an "ode" to my pops.
Just because you're blood related doesn't make you family IMO. I got a pretty good relationship with my pops but i got a few aunts and uncles that i want nothing to do with.
USMILMAN

Post by USMILMAN »

FightFanAL wrote:
USMILMAN wrote:
Just because you're blood related doesn't make you family IMO. I got a pretty good relationship with my pops but i got a few aunts and uncles that i want nothing to do with.
Ain't that the truth!

My father was very strict with me growing up, but now we have an awesome relationship. I don't know what I would do without him around.
FightFanAL

Post by FightFanAL »

USMILMAN wrote:
FightFanAL wrote:
USMILMAN wrote: My step father and I are the same. That's why I did sort of an "ode" to my pops.
Ain't that the truth!

My father was very strict with me growing up, but now we have an awesome relationship. I don't know what I would do without him around.
Mine was too, but hes softened up as I grew older and moved out and everything. I think he(and most good fathers) had to be a little more strict and tougher as a father so he could keep my brother and I in line. It worked out though, we both have done ok for ourselves.
USMILMAN

Post by USMILMAN »

FightFanAL wrote:
USMILMAN wrote:
FightFanAL wrote: Just because you're blood related doesn't make you family IMO. I got a pretty good relationship with my pops but i got a few aunts and uncles that i want nothing to do with.
Ain't that the truth!

Mine was too, but hes softened up as I grew older and moved out and everything. I think he(and most good fathers) had to be a little more strict and tougher as a father so he could keep my brother and I in line. It worked out though, we both have done ok for ourselves.
At the time, I hated it. But now, seeing myself, I understand why he was so strict, and I am greatful for it. I was a complete knucklehead growing up!
FightFanAL

Post by FightFanAL »

USMILMAN wrote:
FightFanAL wrote:
USMILMAN wrote: Ain't that the truth!

At the time, I hated it. But now, seeing myself, I understand why he was so strict, and I am greatful for it. I was a complete knucklehead growing up!
Weren't we all at some point? :D
USMILMAN

Post by USMILMAN »

FightFanAL wrote:
USMILMAN wrote:
FightFanAL wrote: Mine was too, but hes softened up as I grew older and moved out and everything. I think he(and most good fathers) had to be a little more strict and tougher as a father so he could keep my brother and I in line. It worked out though, we both have done ok for ourselves.
Yes, I am learning that with my young boys now. Doing the same dumb shit I use to put my dad and mom through.
FightFanAL

Post by FightFanAL »

USMILMAN wrote:
FightFanAL wrote:
USMILMAN wrote: At the time, I hated it. But now, seeing myself, I understand why he was so strict, and I am greatful for it. I was a complete knucklehead growing up!
Yes, I am learning that with my young boys now. Doing the same dumb shit I use to put my dad and mom through.
lol, its why i don't want to have kids at the moment. I probably deserved to be strangled like Bart Simpson at some point
the13r
TTR

Re: Because of my dad......

Post by the13r »

Nice thread where John talks about his own dad and how he affected his life and the way he conducted himself with his family.

Troubling to see that his dad was also diagnosed with cancer and died so quick...

Return to “TTR HOF”