2 YEARS AGO TODAY!

the13r
TTR

2 YEARS AGO TODAY!

Post by the13r »

I was watching the full duddy vs campas card. Just before the main event starts, i go upstairs to make sure my grand father is alright and i found him dead in his bedroom. This happened at the starting bell of Campas vs Duddy.

Next thing you know, the police is at my home, then i go to the hospital... identify my grandfather, call his wife and children... An hour and a half later im back home alone sitting in my couch trying to figure out what just happened.

The guy was great and a father figure in my life!

Tried to get my head off of this by watching the fight that TTR members were saying might be FOTY at the time but couldnt really, never watched it to tell you the truth...

I the days that followed, i kept my promise of starting TTR and 3 days later, TTR was up and running, with Rugger popping the cherry!
USMILMAN
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion

Post by USMILMAN »

damn Astor....

I opened the thread thinking it was something totally, and BLAM! Sorry to hear about that. My grandmother passed away this past March. She was the same as your grandfather, very close, raised me since I was young. I know how you feel.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

i dont feel too bad that hes gone since he was in bad health shape, he had started a little demencia, had a leg amputated too... his kidneys were starting to fail, he was almost paralyzed half of his face... and he struggled bad with alcoolism.

whats worse with these old persons is that once your eyes and ears start to go, they start to fold on themselves and start to be afraid, thing like reading the papers and watching tv become impossible... they start losing time notions and skills on how to communicate.

he wanted to die in his home, and thats what happened!!
supermaxpapic

Post by supermaxpapic »

Something about grandparents that we take for granted when they're alive, and definitely something that's lacking after they're gone.
Only my paternal grandmother is still alive, and I definitely don't do enough to KIT and see how she's doing.

R.I.P. to your old man.
If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have this site. 8)

Team PlatanoPower... "El Fundador".
ceelowsback

Post by ceelowsback »

damn man...didnt know thats how it went!! Sounds like he was a fighter 'till the end.....dont blame you for not watching that fight...it kind of loses its luster when something like that happens....teh good thing is granpa Astor is in peace now. Live life to teh fullest.
TEAM PLATANO POWER - CARIBBEAN CONNECTION
scorpy

Re: 2 YEARS AGO TODAY!

Post by scorpy »

the13r wrote:I was watching the full duddy vs campas card. Just before the main event starts, i go upstairs to make sure my grand father is alright and i found him dead in his bedroom. This happened at the starting bell of Campas vs Duddy.

Next thing you know, the police is at my home, then i go to the hospital... identify my grandfather, call his wife and children... An hour and a half later im back home alone sitting in my couch trying to figure out what just happened.

Tried to get my head off of this by watching the fight that TTR members were saying might be FOTY at the time but couldnt really, never watched it to tell you the truth...

I the days that followed, i kept my promise of starting TTR and 3 days later, TTR was up and running, with Rugger popping the cherry!
Whaaaat ? When you told me about your house, I thought it had happened a long time ago already. :shock:

You were living with your grandfather ? Taking care of him ?
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

scorpy wrote:
the13r wrote:I was watching the full duddy vs campas card. Just before the main event starts, i go upstairs to make sure my grand father is alright and i found him dead in his bedroom. This happened at the starting bell of Campas vs Duddy.

Whaaaat ? When you told me about your house, I thought it had happened a long time ago already. :shock:

You were living with your grandfather ? Taking care of him ?
yeah 2 yrs ago for about 5 yrs, he gave everything he had to me, i gave it to my grandma who had left him a few yrs back since she wasnt able to take care of him anymore. i bought back the house though since i grew up there
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

I remember that. It must have been terrible.

WAR YOUR GRANDDAD. Rip.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

RASTA666 wrote:I remember that. It must have been terrible.

WAR YOUR GRANDDAD. Rip.
what made it worse was the scumbag who my granddad was letting sleep in a room of the house for a few bucks, the guy stole money, stuff, owe rent , but left after i confronted him, i litteraly felt like killing him but i think i did the right thing...
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

the13r wrote:

WAR YOUR GRANDDAD. Rip.
what made it worse was the scumbag who my granddad was letting sleep in a room of the house for a few bucks, the guy stole money, stuff, owe rent , but left after i confronted him, i litteraly felt like killing him but i think i did the right thing...

Your right thats a scumbag and I would be serving jail time but yeah you did the right thing.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

RASTA666 wrote:
the13r wrote:

WAR YOUR GRANDDAD. Rip.

Your right thats a scumbag and I would be serving jail time but yeah you did the right thing.
he was scared shitless, i was twice his size and he was about to call the police since we didnt have THAT much proofs against him. i never screamed at someone that way, but it was deep and scary thats for sure. the guy went away and i never saw him again, glad i didnt too...
RingGeneralship

Post by RingGeneralship »

RIP your grandfather and congrats on the site, it's been up a long time and that's a definite sign of success.
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

the13r wrote:
RASTA666 wrote:
the13r wrote: what made it worse was the scumbag who my granddad was letting sleep in a room of the house for a few bucks, the guy stole money, stuff, owe rent , but left after i confronted him, i litteraly felt like killing him but i think i did the right thing...

he was scared shitless, i was twice his size and he was about to call the police since we didnt have THAT much proofs against him. i never screamed at someone that way, but it was deep and scary thats for sure. the guy went away and i never saw him again, glad i didnt too...

I was going to say that I hope for his sake that you never bumped into all over the place. He probably left town lol.
RIP SCAPP 12/7/09
scappoosejohn

Post by scappoosejohn »

My Grandfather and I were very close. I can still remember when my Grandpa died. My Grandmother had died about 8 months prior and, after that, he moved to my my aunt's house (his daughter). He was an immigrant (I'm second generation American) and prayed in Norwegian every night that God would take him home. I'm thinking that his prayers were Norge because we wouldn't know how much he missed his wife and wanted to exit this world. Anyway, my aunt called me up and said that Grandpa would like me to come for dinner and I obliged. We had a nice evening and exchanged fishing stories through the evening. At one point, Grandpa tells me that he has lived his life to the fullest and that there is nothing else to live on for.........that he is ready to move on. Then he proceeded to mention how proud he was of me and to never forget that "there are Norwegians and Vikings, never forget that you are from Vikings". Later that evening, after I had returned home, I got a phone call that he was at the hospital and had died. I'll never, ever forget that day. I still have his salmon rod and reel in my home office, along with a picture of a 50 pound salmon that he caught off the beach of Sauvies Island. He was a true, stand up man.

So, in closing, I can somewhat understand your loss. Different circumstances but we still have cherished memories.

In memory of My Grandpa and mentor
"A champion, a true champion is to take on all capable challengers. A true champion defends his title, and looks for matches that pose a threat in order to prove to the world he deserves to be called the best of the best."
treywayln

Post by treywayln »

I just wanted to say RIP to your Grandfather man.

I never met my grandparents on my dad's side, and I don't get to visit my other grandparents that often(Mexico). But I did lose an Aunt similar to what you're referring to, my Tia Queta, she had rheumatoid arthritis, and her kidney was failing her. She was put on dialysis, and the doctors made it seem like she was gonna get better, but then she passed away a week later. The only person I saw actually die though was my oldest aunt, Tia Elida, she had lung cancer from smoking too much, and we were their in the hospital with her, I was about 10 or so.

Oh yeah, and on that jackass you talked about, that was stealing from your grandpa, it's my opinion that you should just forgive him in your heart, and then move on. I can definitely understand the anger you gotta feel, and I ain't "telling you" to forgive him, just "suggesting". My homie Cisco was just brutally murdered by his own brother about 2 months ago, shot him 7 times, and I still pray for that asshole, lol, he's an asshole, but I forgive him. IMO it's better to move on, then keeping that anger in your heart, don't let them ruin your life harping on all the wrongs people have done to you.

Be at peace, and be happy, but that's just my philosophy on life, everybody's got their own.
"I am the flail of God. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

scapp goes further into details about his grand father

Return to “TTR HOF”