R.I.P. Rasta, You Will be Missed

KiNg_DaDdY_2o9

Re: R.I.P. Rasta, You Will be Missed

Post by KiNg_DaDdY_2o9 »

RIP
chuck9788

Post by chuck9788 »

Heartbreaking news. I've known Rasta since the early ESPN days.

It was a great privilege to learn from him over the years. It feels good to know that he will always be honored here at TTR. I will miss him a lot.
lakerlegacy1

Post by lakerlegacy1 »

sad news... really. RIP
mekane
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion

Post by mekane »

terrible news. what a terrific poster he was.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Pillar of our community both here and espn days. Rip
threadkiller

Post by threadkiller »

This thread totally sucks. I keep hoping it wasn't true. He made a huge impact on this board. Had lots of good and bad conversations with him . Rip. Dang
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

I didn't know Rasta nearly as well as some of you other guys, but as soon as I signed up on this forum, and seen a guy with his screenname and an image of Bob Marley smoking a blunt I knew I found my kinda people. I enjoyed Rasta's posts, and I always hate it when a fellow Boxing fan, especially one who means so much to online Boxing communities like this one leaves us. There's not nearly enough of us Boxing die hards in the world, and it's a shame when one as well liked and respected as Rasta leaves us so soon.

RIP Rasta
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

It's crazy man...some of you have been talking to him for 16 years over the internet. It's kind of mind boggling to think about. It seems to me that Kevin was extremely selfless, generous, and helpful, based on what everyone is saying and my own interactions with him. And didn't he spearhead the t-shirt logistics? I'm pretty sure that was a nightmare for him. lol
Even though it was a pain in the ass, I'm pretty sure everyone got their t-shirts. Rasta made well thought out and poignant boxing comments every week and it was always fun to banter back and forth with him. As Astor already pointed out, he was pivotal in TTR's ascension and coming-to-be. He was my Seinfeld buddy.

It's a little peculiar, but, I used to watch Seinfeld online on a 'rolling' stream but the places that showed it over the years stopped showing it but I just happened to check earlier this week and lo and behold, someone started broadcasting it again. So, I started watching, and, of course, being that I was watching it online I was thinking about all of the Seinfeld banter I had on here with you guys and especially Rasta. I'm not sure what it means that after a couple of years of it not airing it all of the sudden pops up the week that we lose Rasta but I like to believe that he is still very much with us and in our hearts.

Gonna miss you little buddy.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

One of the funny things with Kev was always the incredible weather temperatures he was having in Yukon. I remember back at ESPN he was talking about it. One of my fav music composer AL Di Meola made a disc called Land of the midnight sun which always reminded me of Kev. I had posted about it and he said he had the disc. I had sent him all the Di Meola & Paco De Lucia CDs... he was a real music fan and knew lots about culture and arts.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

I'd like to seriously thank Occamsrazor for taking the time to reach out to TTR and share the information. It's brutal news, but i'm glad we at least know now. I wish we could've known before he passed that he was THAT sick. This thread would've made him happy i'm sure.

Such a terrible news. The second monumental loss for TTR.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

Some of you may recall this better than me, but, remember when he had like an $800 cable bill back in like 2005 I think it was? lol
Something crazy with his bandwith or something.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

Yeah i think he had changed his internet package and had a bandwith limit... had watched a bunch of str3ams and he had received an insane bill. that's right. thanks for that memory.
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

yesterday, I was sort of hoping it was a miscommunication and not true, but sad to hear it is indeed true. I first met Rasta back in early 2000s, maybe 2001 on ESPN. Started off with fireworks LOL. but we got along famously as part of the inner circle of Tito Nation. I like to say we were two of the biggest fans, but I think tito's cousing, Tavito took that mantle. But being fan #2 and #3 was all good. Unfortunately, my relationship with Rasta was rocky for a long time and never recovered. Was always sad about that but it is what it is. No matter disagreements, I always respected Rasta and he was way to young to go. He will be missed by a lot of people and TTR lost a great one.
kinggrissly

Post by kinggrissly »

I wasn't aware this friend of Rasta's tried to reach out to me to register on the board. I would have helped him out if it had gotten to me. I'm kind of shaken up by this. I knew Rasta over the net for so many years. I only wonder how many pages or words all of our dialogue would stretch. As others have said we had some fierce arguments, but I admired that cantankerous side of him because it came from our shared love of the sport, and no matter how much we tried to convince the other we both recognized each other as true fight junkies from way before there was a WWW or anyone was talking boxing on it. I definitely respected his insight perhaps the most on the board, and if I never told him that I wish I had another chance to.

The guy also had a great heart, a love for the environment and animals as has also been mentioned. I remember one time years ago I was in some low paying temp job and was bitching about money problems I was having, Rasta PM'd me and offered me money. I don't think he meant as a loan either. I wasn't fishing for that and would never have taken it but I also wouldn't have offered that to him or anybody here, so that says a whole lot to me. He was one of those rare people in life who'd probably give the shirt off his back to a stranger. Wish I could have watched some fights with him in person.
NOT MY PRESIDENT
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

I'm sure he enjoyed your presence a lot on ESPN and TTR Daniel, i wouldn't be sad about it. Rasta enjoyed good conversation and rock relationships was IMO a big part of Kev's life (that is speculation from me). He first always sounded like a very light and cool guy (which he was) but once you were good friends with, he became his true self which was a very colored personality, all the colors...

My friendship with Kevin wasn't always great. In fact the last few years it was real hard. We wouldn't talk much, and when we did it was tensed. But when it was important, true things of life, i found the good old Kev back. Wish we would've still been great friends... which we were in a way... but Kev wanted things his way and it just couldn't happen sometimes.

Kev was also a big protector of people he enjoyed or thought were genuine. That i'll always remember and admire.
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

kinggrissly wrote:I wasn't aware this friend of Rasta's tried to reach out to me to register on the board.
I think what he meant is he tried to register as Grizz and then occamsrazor
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

the13r wrote:Yeah i think he had changed his internet package and had a bandwith limit... had watched a bunch of str3ams and he had received an insane bill. that's right. thanks for that memory.
lol...I wish we had the thread about it. It's hard to remember all of the threads because he posted so much. I'm trying to think of some of the funny and/or ridiculous moments.
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

kinggrissly wrote: Wish I could have watched some fights with him in person.

Yeah, Gris, that would've been a real treat.
Danielk015

Post by Danielk015 »

the13r wrote:I'm sure he enjoyed your presence a lot on ESPN and TTR Daniel, i wouldn't be sad about it. Rasta enjoyed good conversation and rock relationships was IMO a big part of Kev's life (that is speculation from me). He first always sounded like a very light and cool guy (which he was) but once you were good friends with, he became his true self which was a very colored personality, all the colors...

My friendship with Kevin wasn't always great. In fact the last few years it was real hard. We wouldn't talk much, and when we did it was tensed. But when it was important, true things of life, i found the good old Kev back. Wish we would've still been great friends... which we were in a way... but Kev wanted things his way and it just couldn't happen sometimes.

Kev was also a big protector of people he enjoyed or thought were genuine. That i'll always remember and admire.
Thanks for the comment. The sandpaper personality of Kev is actually one of the most endearing qualities I think he had. I dont think he was rough to be malicious, but he was rough to protect things he valued the most: people, ideals, animals, etc.
USMILMAN
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion
TTR SuperFights Challenge #5 Champion

Post by USMILMAN »

Man, RIP Rastaman!

That dude found out I was deploying, and sent me a bunch of DVD's of old fights to keep me busy while I was gone. Didn't tell me he was doing it, can't even remember how he got my address. What a sad day!
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

Post by straycat »

Rasta was always advocating on your behalf Burrowz.
At times the only one.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
deadlything

Post by deadlything »

USMILMAN wrote:Man, RIP Rastaman!

That dude found out I was deploying, and sent me a bunch of DVD's of old fights to keep me busy while I was gone. Didn't tell me he was doing it, can't even remember how he got my address. What a sad day!
That's pretty cool
WhyteHypeBG
TTR Suppl. Challenge #10 Super Champion
TTR Suppl. Challenge #10 Super Champion

Post by WhyteHypeBG »

Damn, dude. RIP, Rastaman.

He was the first person to welcome me to the board.

Don't forget that Scrotes Day is April 30th!
Sing All Day, Drink and Sing All Night!
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

We should make a concerted effort to meet up at the Kovalev-Ward fight in honor of Rasta. Maybe someone knows of a person or two who might be able to help with accommodations so we don't have to spend as much on a hotel? Maybe AirBNB would be cheaper? I'm just trying to think of a fiscally conservative solution so that we could hang out with one another that weekend without being all spread apart in different hotels or whatever. I dunno...just brainstorming.

Life is too short, man. I believe that Rasta and Scap never got to connect in person. And now Rasta and Astor never got to connect in person. Who knows, one of you might actually like me in person. lol
5_burowz

Post by 5_burowz »

USMILMAN wrote:Man, RIP Rastaman!

I remember that

Return to “TTR HOF”