My Amateur Boxing Match & Sparring Vids

undefeatedchamp

My Amateur Boxing Match & Sparring Vids

Post by undefeatedchamp »

Here is a link to my Youtube channel. So far it has my 2nd amateur fight, & about 7 sparring sessions on it. Feel free to subscribe or comment. I don't mind criticism. I use feedback in my training.

http://www.youtube.com/user/newlytrollin/videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgAIRcp- ... gAIRcp-fcI[/youtubefullurl]

The above video was from my opponent's page I believe.
Last edited by undefeatedchamp on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
undefeatedchamp

Re: My Youtube Channel

The fight starts out actually a couple seconds before the video. I am Jevon in the white tank top. I throw a lazy jab(mistake) and as I bring it back he rushes me with these arm punches as you see in the video. The arm punches are distracting but not painful. As I start to battle back, I can see there are times when my eyes are completely off of him, my hands are too low to protect my face, and I have no head movement(mistakes). Had this kid (Carlos Wren, 20, 165lbs) known how to punch, he could have hurt me in that position. So I fighting my way out of the corner, trying to get to the center of the ring. I see on the video, during that time(:10-:19) I miss with a left, but I am landing short punches. He snaps my head back with a jab, my footing was horrible right there at the 26 second mark. I see my hands are low as I try to reset in to position, :27 I am ducking my head downward which is a no-no and he is coming past my left foot so he is good position to strike. My hands are up, but they are low and he swings away with his arm punches until the referee steps in to count me. I think I am getting counted for unanswered punches or bad defense? I still to this day am not sure.

When we restart, At the 40 second mark on the video, I can see my hands are again dangerously low. I am wide open for a right hook to the head. We trade jabs and that was his only decent weapon in my opinion. I collided with his foot then with the ropes behind me I stepped over his left leg while retreating trying to get in position to fire back, I covered up in the corner :46 before I could fire back I was again being counted. I knew one more count and the ref would stop the fight. I was getting kind of pissed.

It starts back up at :55 and my opponent more than content to slap me to death, jumps across the ring. We trade jabs, and at :59 he practically jumps into my left hand. I fire another left as he starts retreating. We trade jabs as he tries to get me off of him. I know he can be hurt by left. I back away(I should have stayed there and not given ground) I wanted to circle and throw left hand bombs. That retreating jab I do is stupid. I guess I thought it was slick and evasive at the time. We are trading jabs and every once and a while I throw a left. I don't think this guy knew how to throw a right. At 1:15, he steps on my foot as I am moving while he is jabbing, and I stumble. The ref was staring off into space so he turns while I am catching myself, my opponent misses the first couple slaps and connects with the second two. His arm punch volume had diminished somewhat but the ref saw me stumble assuming it was from a punch and saw him connect with a couple punches and decided to give me a 3rd standing 8 count, ending the bout. Slapped to death in amateurs, how embarassing.

This kid was there for me to hit. Head straight up, body was wide open.
If you know the enemy and know yourself you need not fear the results of a hundred battles.
undefeatedchamp

[youtubefullurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkqg6tojg1o[/youtubefullurl]
Here is a sparring clip with myself and a friend in the park. The punches are for the most part touches, not really intended to hurt one another we are working technique.
I am supposed to be working on keeping my hands up, but I see my right drops after I throw a jab. My sparring partner isn't very aggressive and doesn't capitalize at all. I am wide open for a left hook.

I want to fight again in Feb, so I have been running a lot lately. I have to lose 10-15 lbs if I want to fight at 165 again.
gotiye

Post by gotiye »

this kid and you have pretty good balance from what i'm what seeing. i'd stress more footwork drills with both of you to enhance balance and coordination in and out and on angles. i stress footwork more than anything with beginners/intermediate level fighters and i try to get the most of that side of it first. i like what i see though.....................

[youtubefullurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs99fAjY4E0[/youtubefullurl]
undefeatedchamp

Thanks for the advice. Footwork is something I need to improve. The video was helpful.
LORD

Re: My Amateur Boxing Match & Sparring Vids

Post by LORD »

undefeatedchamp wrote:Here is a link to my Youtube channel. So far it has my 2nd amateur fight, & about 7 sparring sessions on it. Feel free to subscribe or comment. I don't mind criticism. I use feedback in my training.

http://www.youtube.com/user/newlytrollin/videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgAIRcp- ... gAIRcp-fcI[/youtubefullurl]

The above video was from my opponent's page I believe.

The couple things I'd say from the video is:

1. I think you should tuck your chin more. It's tucked when you're in "neutral" but once the offense begins and you're throwing shots the chin rises. Tucking it should add some force to your offense since the body follows the head and it'll put your body into those shots more but also, it makes you safer defensively.

2. Ground your feet/stance when you're punching to generate more leverage for punch power. If you're on the move and punching cool but when you're set on holding that ground, root yourself some and I think your shots will have more mustard on them.

Good stuff though brutha. I wish I was a little younger so I could get back in there.
Let me know

Re: My Amateur Boxing Match & Sparring Vids

I notice my chin coming up during offensive combos in sparring. I get mad at myself but the bottom line is I need to correct the mistake. I was less aware of it during the match. Probably due to adrenaline. Everything should be automatic by that point anyway.

Return to “MMA, Boxing, Jiu Jitsu, etc. Training Techniques”