the13r
TTR

Re: LARRY HOLMES vs MICHAEL SPINKS I & 2

Post by the13r »

[youtubefullurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzyASoN8BEE[/youtubefullurl]
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

Spinks is a much better Light Heavyweight than many regard him as. He was cagey, smart, and gifted. But in neither of those fights did he get the better of Larry Holmes.

He did okay. He boxed. He fought backing up a lot, and at times seemed to dictate the pace. But he didn't win the Heavyweight Championship, in my view.

I regard Larry Holmes as unquestionably one of the three best heavyweights ever (the other two being Ali and Louis). He is probably my favourite Heavyweight of all time, and indeed one of my favourite fighters - of any weight class - of all time.

But Spinks did well. Just not well enough.

Too bad Spinks didn't win the Cruiserweight title and retire undefeated. He'd probably be looked at differently today. I take nothing away from the man. I just think he didn't beat Holmes. The first fight was close, the second fight definitely belonged to Holmes.
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

Spinks trained wearing Army boots which hurt his knees and feet. Why he did this we'll never know.

But he spent a good deal of time doing wind sprints. Running hard for short distances with a parachute at his back. This built up that explosive power. The training paid off.

Return to “Controversial Fights Revisited by TTR judges”