BERNARD HOPKINS vs JERMAINE TAYLOR I

Chosen controversial fights by our members scored by our TTR judges
mekane
Donator & Superfights Challenge #2, 4 & 7 Champion

BERNARD HOPKINS vs JERMAINE TAYLOR I

Post by mekane »

[youtubefullurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8obLzkPwpw[/youtubefullurl]

This is a draft for the thread that will go here... I'd like it to eventually look like the one's astor created, but will need more input first which can go here... in this thread... then later i'll combine you're responses to look like astor's threads...

please include as much information as you want... but ideally i'd like:

-a score for each round,
-description for each round scoring
-final tallied scorecard
-final summary / thoughts

Thanks!
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

Hopkins-----Taylor
10----9, Gotta go with Hopkins....Taylor Missed about every Flurry he threw
9-----10, Taylor landed the best punch
9-----10
10----9, Taylor Missing most of his Shots
10----9, Hopkins landing the best shots of the round and makeing Taylor Miss.....Taylor Attacks alot but dosnet land anything that stands out most of the time just rushing in on Hopkins
9-----10, Taylor more Agressive and hopkins didnt do anythign until the last 20 secounds
9-----10
9-----10
10----9, Taylor more Agressive but Hopkins landing more....
10----9, Hopkins had him hurt
10----9
10----9

7-5 Hopkins

Better fight then expected
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Re: BERNARD HOPKINS vs JERMAINE TAYLOR I

Post by gilgamesh »

116-112 Taylor

First 8 rounds, I don't think Hopkins did enough to take any of them. He beat the crap out of Taylor down the stretch of the last 4 rounds, but it was too little, too late.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Hop dominated the last 4. The fact 1 judge gave Taylor the 12th tells you all you need to know about why boxing is a dirty sport
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:32 pm Hop dominated the last 4. The fact 1 judge gave Taylor the 12th tells you all you need to know about why boxing is a dirty sport
Why would that judge have given Hopkins any of the first 8 though? He barely did shit until Round 9. Like he thought he could just fight the last third of the fight, and win for some reason.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Bernard thought he could knock JT out. Thats all i can figure
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:23 pm Bernard thought he could knock JT out. Thats all i can figure
Pretty damn stupid considering that at the time Hops had won by decision in his last several fights. Including the fight with William Joppy where he beat the living shit out of Joppy, but still couldn't stop him.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Agreed. Seeing how well conditioned he 2as for tarver and beyond the weight loss may have hindered him at 160 when he fought JT... made it so he couldnt go 12 hard
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Agreed. Seeing how well conditioned he 2as for tarver and beyond the weight loss may have hindered him at 160 when he fought JT... made it so he couldnt go 12 hard
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

It's one of those fights where bhop won the last 4 by a huge margin but they count the same as Taylor seeking out rounds early. Same with canelo ggg 1 or a myriad of other close fights
mekane

Post by mekane »

14 years later... here we go!

Code: Select all

Hopkins  Taylor
1:       9      10
2:      10       9
3:      10       9
4:      10      10
5:      10       9
6:       9      10
7:      10       9
8:      10       9   Taylor lands a few jabs and misses about 20-30 punches.  Hopkins hardly lands anything either but has the best punches of the round, a couple clean left hooks.
9:      10       9
10:     10       9
11:     10       9
12:     10       9   Have to be insane to give this to Taylor
Hopkins 118-111... small note, my girlfriend had Hopkins winning too, 115-113, her first fight scoring. she was definitely not biased by me :)

I had Hopkins ahead in the first 8 rounds. Even the rounds Taylor won were super close, the 8th was really the only clear round for Taylor and he won that by landing about 3-4 glancing punches. This is going to sound patronizing but this fight showcases some really bad scoring from people who aren't really watching the fight close enough to see what actually is and is not landing. Absolute masterpiece from Hopkins, remains my favorite fight to date, his defensive technical skills are matched by absolutely nobody.
Last edited by mekane on Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:55 pm It's one of those fights where bhop won the last 4 by a huge margin but they count the same as Taylor seeking out rounds early. Same with canelo ggg 1 or a myriad of other close fights
Yes I don't think it can be argued that Hopkins did more damage in the fight overall, and most definitely won his rounds in more dominant fashion, but since Boxing is scored on a round by round basis he had lost the fight before he even started fighting.
mekane

Post by mekane »

gilgamesh wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:45 pm
jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:55 pm It's one of those fights where bhop won the last 4 by a huge margin but they count the same as Taylor seeking out rounds early. Same with canelo ggg 1 or a myriad of other close fights
Yes I don't think it can be argued that Hopkins did more damage in the fight overall, and most definitely won his rounds in more dominant fashion, but since Boxing is scored on a round by round basis he had lost the fight before he even started fighting.
i'd like to see your actual scorecard, let's find rounds we disagree on. I'm also curious if you have a different outlook going back to rewatch such an old fight. One thing I can see is that if you liked one guy in the early rounds, you might like him in every round, since those rounds mostly looked the same... it's kind of like Hopkins/Calzaghe, the rounds all looked the same, so it's not surprising we have lopsided scorecards in a close fight.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

mekane wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:22 pm
i'd like to see your actual scorecard, let's find rounds we disagree on. I'm also curious if you have a different outlook going back to rewatch such an old fight. One thing I can see is that if you liked one guy in the early rounds, you might like him in every round, since those rounds mostly looked the same... it's kind of like Hopkins/Calzaghe, the rounds all looked the same, so it's not surprising we have lopsided scorecards in a close fight.
I don't really need to rewatch it because I remember it so clearly. It was almost a tale of 2 fights. It was First 8 rounds to Taylor close, Last 4 rounds to Hopkins dominant.

116-112 Taylor

Hopkins started too late.

It's Teofimo Lopez vs Lomachenko but way earlier.

I believe there's a song called "Don't Start Too Late"

It reminds me of that.
mekane

Post by mekane »

gilgamesh wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:59 pm
mekane wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:22 pm

I don't really need to rewatch it because I remember it so clearly. It was almost a tale of 2 fights. It was First 8 rounds to Taylor close, Last 4 rounds to Hopkins dominant.

116-112 Taylor

Hopkins started too late.

It's Teofimo Lopez vs Lomachenko but way earlier.

I believe there's a song called "Don't Start Too Late"

It reminds me of that.
Watch it and score it again. You're missing what really happened. I admit I was the same way, scored it more favorably for Taylor the first time.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Fight was boring. I don't care to see it again. I saw it just fine the first time. I saw you saying "Taylor missed a lot of punches in the early rounds" as your excuse for giving 'em to Hopkins.

Well I agree that he did miss a lot of punches, but what exactly did Hopkins do to win those rounds? He doesn't do jack fucking shit in the early going. So even missed punches amount to more than not punching at all.
mekane

Post by mekane »

gilgamesh wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:09 pm Fight was boring. I don't care to see it again. I saw it just fine the first time. I saw you saying "Taylor missed a lot of punches in the early rounds" as your excuse for giving 'em to Hopkins.

Well I agree that he did miss a lot of punches, but what exactly did Hopkins do to win those rounds? He doesn't do jack fucking shit in the early going. So even missed punches amount to more than not punching at all.
Hopkins landed the clean effective blows, that's what he did. Like I said, I think you'd be surprised if you go back and watch it more closely. Every fight is more clear on replay, but especially this one.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

mekane wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:01 am
gilgamesh wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:09 pm Fight was boring. I don't care to see it again. I saw it just fine the first time. I saw you saying "Taylor missed a lot of punches in the early rounds" as your excuse for giving 'em to Hopkins.

Hopkins landed the clean effective blows, that's what he did. Like I said, I think you'd be surprised if you go back and watch it more closely. Every fight is more clear on replay, but especially this one.
You have a Hopkins picture as your Avatar. I'd say you're just desperately wanting to see a Hopkins win, and therefore you are. It wasn't a difficult fight to score, and it wasn't worth watching twice.
Woobase
TTR Contributor

Post by Woobase »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:32 pm Hop dominated the last 4. The fact 1 judge gave Taylor the 12th tells you all you need to know about why boxing is a dirty sport
Good call.
"We have wasted HISTORY like a bunch of drunks shooting dice back in the men's crapper of the local bar" - Charles Bukowski
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

Woobase wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:57 pm
Good call.

Hey Woobase, how are things with you?
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."

Return to “Controversial Fights Revisited by TTR judges”