Chosen controversial fights by our members scored by our TTR judges
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

3 scorecards in!!
the13r
TTR

Post by the13r »

i invite other members to submit a card if interested, its actualy a fun fight to watch!
the13r
TTR

Re: LENNOX LEWIS vs RAY MERCER

Post by the13r »

bump
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

I remember watching Lewis-Merecr and feeling that a DRAW would have been very acceptable, and indeed an accurate scoring of the fight
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

First, I wish this would have been a 12 round fight. This was a very close entertaining fight. I have watched it many times and I had it 5-4 in rounds with 1 even with for Lewis, 96-95. As close a win as you can get.

Another great fight with Ray Mercer was against Tim Witherspoon. Exciting fight and every bit as close as this fight. Ray Mercer's chin really shined in this fight, as Tim looked at the ref and then so did Mercer and Tim nailed Mercer right on the chin with an overhand right as Mercer was looking at the ref. Also Tim was landing great body shots and they didn't appear to have any visible effect on Mercer. Mercer was a tank and he gave us some of the most exciting fights of the 90's, starting with the war against Bert Cooper and then hammered for 3 1/2 rounds against Morrison's best power punches, only to come back and crush Morrison.
Tocsin

Post by Tocsin »

This is a figjt in which my opinion is significantly different from the consensus....I scored it years back and had it 97-93 Lewis if I recall correctly.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 1: Aggressive start to the fight for Mercer. Probably trying to take advantage of what he perceived as a possible weak chin from Lennox he was busy with the power shots early, and there were quite a few flurries from Mercer in that round. Lennox Lewis did a good job with body shots that round landing some good right hands to the body, he got in a few big shots upstairs as well, but I'd have to give the 1st to Mercer.

1-0 Mercer

Round 2: Better round for Lennox who really landed some solid right hands on Mercer in the early going in this round. Mercer had a strong rally around the final minute mark of the round with the crowd going crazy for every blow, but most of them were blocked or deflected by Lewis and not many of them landed flush. Competitive round, and a strong surge from Mercer at the end but I thought Lennox had the better round overall and landed the cleaner, more damaging punches.

1-1 even

Round 3: Mercer took a bit of a breather that round, not being nearly as aggressive as he had been in the first two. Lennox Lewis took advantage by steadily pumping his jab into Mercer's face, and keeping the distance he'd like to be most effective against Mercer. Mercer had a little flurry over the final 10 seconds in an attempt to steal the round, but this was a clear Lewis round.

2-1 Lewis

Round 4: Terrific, action packed round. Lennox Lewis lands some devastating shots in combination early in the round with uppercuts, hooks and rights hands, the first minute and a half are clearly controlled by Lewis then Mercer starts to come back with hard shots of his own, and some uppercuts of his own on the inside that momentarily have Lennox on the defensive, Lennox comes back with another big combination assault though down the stretch where he hammers Mercer with uppercuts, hooks and bodyshots along the ropes. Great action round, damaging shots from both fighters. I'd have rather been Lennox in the round though as he showed better defense, and took less clean punches.

3-1 Lewis
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 5: Good round for Mercer in the 5th I thought. Lennox Lewis again did good work early, but Mercer was really landing some stiff jabs down the stretch and some other power shots on Lennox who really didn't answer back with much during that final minute stretch. I'd give it to Mercer.

3-2 Lewis

Round 6: Another strong round for Mercer in the 6th. He again was outjabbing Lennox, and really let loose with power shots in combination when Lennox was on the ropes, a great deal of them were blocked, but enough got through that Mercer had the clear advantage in a round where Lennox didn't do much offensively.

3-3 even

Round 7: Good comeback round for Lennox. He seemed to get a 2nd wind that round, and really landed some damaging blows on Mercer who was perhaps taking a breather himself after the surge he'd had in the previous round. Good back and forth contest.

4-3 Lewis

Round 8: Another good round for Lennox using his jab to keep Mercer at bay, and landing good body shots on Mercer in spots. Mercer punched back with some big right hands, and got a warning for attempting to hit on the break at one point, but Lennox got through the round well and did the better work.

5-3 Lewis
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 9: Good round for Mercer in the 9th. Lewis wasn't as active that round, perhaps saving his energy for the 10th and final round. Mercer dictated the round with his jab landing several clean, and snappy Lennox's head back with a lot of them. Mercer was the aggressor and landed the best shots in the 9th.

5-4 Lewis

Round 10: Lennox did the better work in the round overall. Almost let it slip away by not doing much down the stretch and letting Mercer come on strong, but a last little flurry at the end of the round along with the work he'd done early was enough to give him the edge.

My final score is 96-94 Lennox Lewis
...very good fight
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

I recall scoring that fight at home a three of times, watching it on tape. I scored it for Lewis in one instance, for Mercer in another (both closely) and then a draw. A draw would have been very fair here.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Saw this for the first time. Gave round 2 to mercer and had a draw. Good fight. Lennox took bombs and fought back well.
NoPropaganda 253

Post by NoPropaganda 253 »

jeff_lacy_ko wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:34 am Saw this for the first time. Gave round 2 to mercer and had a draw. Good fight. Lennox took bombs and fought back well.
Ray is underrated imo. One of my favorite heavyweights from that era.
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

He was so inconsistent... he was talented enough and should have won a title. Fun fighter to watch though for sure

Return to “Controversial Fights Revisited by TTR judges”