VERNON FORREST vs RICARDO MAYORGA II

Chosen controversial fights by our members scored by our TTR judges
GAUZE

VERNON FORREST vs RICARDO MAYORGA II

Post by GAUZE »

[youtubefullurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9S2eZPxxRo[/youtubefullurl]

just watched this fight. very entertaining and very even. i had it like this..
1 forrest
2 mayorga
3 mayorga
4 mayorga
5 mayorga
6 mayorga
7 forrest
8 forrest
9 forrest
10 forrest
11 mayorga
12 forrest

theres some rounds that could have gone either way. im a fan of both guys. mayorga showed good effective aggressiveness in some of the closer rounds while forrest displayed some great footwork mixed in with sharper punches.
what do you guys think?
...only for the hardcore
elterrible33

Re: forrest vs. mayorga II

Post by elterrible33 »

GAUZE wrote:just watched this fight. very entertaining and very even. i had it like this..
1 forrest
2 mayorga
3 mayorga
4 mayorga
5 mayorga
6 mayorga
7 forrest
8 forrest
9 forrest
10 forrest
11 mayorga
12 forrest

theres some rounds that could have gone either way. im a fan of both guys. mayorga showed good effective aggressiveness in some of the closer rounds while forrest displayed some great footwork mixed in with sharper punches.
what do you guys think?
despite what max kellerman and some other analysts thought, i had mayorga clearly winning by 2-3 rounds. good scrap but mayorga won no doubt.
novakstep

Post by novakstep »

I only saw the fight the one time, but have it on hard disk, and was very entertained I must say. I consider it better than the famous 1st fight, and yes, the fight presented an interesting scoring dilemma, so good choice to make a thread on this.

I’m pretty tied up at the moment, so I’ll post my round-by-round scoring later on once I get the chance to revisit the fight. For the record, I had the fight scored a draw originally. In one of the early rounds, Mayorga opened proceedings by battering Forrest around the place, but as soon as the overconfidence brewed in, he did his bravado thing and pulled down his hands to allow Forrest to whack him flush in the face with a few power shots. Mayorga for me threw that round away, but it was a very close one, so I can accept scoring either way. Obviously that round would have a huge bearing on the outcome of the fight in my eyes.

In an interesting note, as soon as the decision was read out, Forrest walked away from the arena in total disgust. That for me would suggest that a comfortable card in favour of Mayorga may be a bit far fetched. When asked why he performed that fatal bravado act in the post-fight interview, Mayorga laughed out hysterically in the company of Don King and then labelled Forrest a “wuss” :lol: :lol: :lol:
novakstep

Post by novakstep »

<u>Round 1</u>
Not a great deal of action here in terms of clean punches landed. Mayorga fights in spurts with a wild flurry of punches, but few of them land tellingly. Forrest for his part doesn’t do a lot, keeps the distance but is in no way aggressive. He lands the occasional jab to keep Mayorga at bay. Tough one to score.

10-10

<u>Round 2</u>
Mayorga comes out street fighting by scoring with a series of looping shots to the side of the head. Forrest is game, stands up and fights back to connect with some jabs and a solid right. The rest of the round is lacklustre with Forrest back pedalling to leave Mayorga the chance to liven things up by connecting with a looping shot here and there.

10-9 Mayorga

<u>Round 3</u>
Dominant round, Mayorga connects with some big, big shots here. Forrest does not look to handle this unorthodox style too well, and looks clumsy as he trips to the canvas. His legs look rubbery.

10-9 Mayorga

<u>Round 4</u>
Mayorga is plain foolish. Close to the bell ringing, he has the round under wraps thanks to a big uppercut, looping shot and a body shot, but lets his bravado get the better of him to allow Forrest to hit him flush on the face not once, but five times. Although Mayorga comes at Forrest in rage thereafter, he only lands with a single telling punch at the lean in, and Forrest is able to retreat and land a big right of his own. Could be scored either way.

10-9 Forrest

<u>Round 5</u>
Close round. Not many punches landed. Mayorga starts with a few wild lunges, but Forrest fights back to limit the damage. Not a lot happens afterwards, but Mayorga takes the ascendancy by landing the sporadic big right that catches the eye. Just when it looks as though he will take the round, Forrest comes back with a nice body shot and then connects with a few hard shots to the head.

10-9 Mayorga

<u>Round 6</u>
Who let the dogs out! Mayorga opens with an extravaganza of power shots, and pretty much has the rest of the round under control. Forrest just can’t get off.

10-9 Mayorga

<u>Round 7</u>
Not a high-volume fighter, Mayorga is fighting in spurts but only gets through randomly with a wild lunge. Forrest just tees off, and lands a nice combination to the head towards the end as Mayorga leaves his defence wide open. Pretty clear-cut.

10-9 Forrest

<u>Round 8</u>
Just as it looks as though Mayorga will begin to boss proceedings again with some wild rights, midway through Forrest shows his heart and lands even bigger rights of his own against a stationary target. Mayorga occasionally scores with his trademark slugging shots afterwards but Forrest digs deep to battle back with some mini effective shots. Coming to the end, Forrest again thumps Mayorga with a succession of huge rights to seal the round.

10-9 Forrest

<u>Round 9</u>
The confidence Forrest gains is there for all to see. He lands with a series of crisp, clean punches, while the activity of Mayorga drops down. Forrest manoeuvres well in the closing stages to stay out of harms way. Strong round.

10-9 Forrest

<u>Round 10</u>
Great round. Mayorga strikes back with a vengeance to hurt Forrest with some purposeful rights against the ropes. Dazed clearly, Mayorga continues the assault, but Forrest hangs on by holding. He eventually fights back as the two go toe-to-toe, and as Mayorga tires midpoint with the assortment of punches thrown, Forrest begins to find his feet and nail away flush at a leaked defence. At this point, the fight is taking a life of its own.

10-9 Mayorga

<u>Round 11</u>
Messy round. Its obvious Forrest is feeling the effects of a gruelling fight as his work rate drops. Although not entirely effective, Mayorga is forcing the fight and has limited success with the few lunges he angles in. Forrest is able to pot-shot when the distance is right, but Mayorga keeps coming and may just have grinded it out.

10-9 Mayorga

<u>Round 12</u>
What entertainment, the two fight their hearts out in this one. A great deal is landed between the two, but in the end Mayorga just wants to put on a show and as a result showboats. This leaves himself wide open and Forrest takes full advantage to whack Mayorga square on the face several times to have the better of it.

10-9 Forrest

<u>Tally</u>
115-114 Mayorga

Upon second viewing, I had the fight scored exactly the same as the judge Larry O’Connell. Obviously rounds 1 and 4 had a huge bearing on that. I can see why Forrest would be disappointed with the decision, but ultimately I thought Mayorga was able to impose his will to the greater extent, and came in tip-top shape. He genuinely hurt Forrest on more than one occasion, but Forrest showed a warrior’s heart to fight back and score with crisp combinations. The greater skill set that Forrest possessed is what made the fight so close. Mayorga for me simply outfought him.

The fight did not have non-stop or back-and-forth action, but it was the contrasting styles of the two combatants that made it a memorable encounter. When the punches rained in, it was quite a spectacle, and as the two combatants weighed each other out to find an opening, it was fully engrossing. A classic, surprised it is not talked about more often.
Bertel1

Post by Bertel1 »

I have it on a disc also. I was pulling for Forrest, but he fought like he was nervous to me. He had good reason to be. He couldnt hurt or deter Mayorga. That "hands down chin out" stunt, took away whatever confidence Vernon prob had. It was s close fight, but I dont think it was a robbery.
"My belt says the heavyweight champ of the world!"(Wilder)
"So does his, and he has a couple of them" (Jim Gray, *in reference to Anthony Joshua)
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Re: VERNON FORREST vs RICARDO MAYORGA II

Post by gilgamesh »

115-113 Mayorga. I've lost my notebook that I did my RBR scores in for this one, it's been a long while back.

Return to “Controversial Fights Revisited by TTR judges”