[youtubefullurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrZcB7y5ooM[/youtubefullurl]
[youtubefullurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtro_zc5Cwo[/youtubefullurl]
[youtubefullurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEquj32InjE[/youtubefullurl]
[youtubefullurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG14cx54KKw[/youtubefullurl]
Astor
TTR

Post by Astor »

Carlos Zarate
THE SIGHT OF Carlos Zarate, who stood 5-feet 8-inches tall and weighed 118 pounds, did not strike fear into his opponents. But his right hand did.
One of the most prolific punchers of the 1970s, the long and lean Zarate possessed an uncanny power that rendered 58 of his 65 opponents unconscious. He turned pro in Cuernavaca, Mexico, in 1970 and reeled off 18 straight wins by knockout until Victor Ramirez took him the 10-round limit. Immediately after that fight he began another knockout streak that would continue until 1978.

Upholding the tradition of fine Mexican bantamweight champions, Zarate won the WBC 118-pound title in 1976 with a ninth-round knockout of Rodolfo Martinez. Zarate defended the title by scoring knockouts over Paul Ferreri, Waruinge Nakayama and Fernando Cabanela to set up, perhaps, the biggest bantamweight fight in history.

A unification match between Zarate and WBA champ Alfonso Zamora was set for 1977 at the Great Western Forum in Ingelwood, California. It was a fight fan's dream. Zamora was 29-0 with 29 knockouts while Zarate was 40-0 with 39 knockouts. But oddly, the WBC and WBA refused to sanction the bout, meaning that Zarate and Zamora would fight only for bragging rights of Mexico. That was motivation enough for both men.

Zarate kept his long jab busy to offset Zamora's power early in the fight. But by round four, Zarate found a home for his right hand. He dropped Zamora twice and the bout was halted with Zarate claiming the unofficial, undisputed bantamweight crown. The win earned him Fighter of The Year honors from Ring magazine.

He would score five more title-fight knockouts before moving up to the super bantamweight division to challenge WBC champ and future Hall-of-Famer Wilfredo Gomez. Gomez was too strong for Zarate and scored a fifth-round TKO.

Zarate returned to the bantamweight division and retained his title by knocking out Mensah Kpalongo. But in his next title defense, on June 3, 1979, he lost a controversial split decision to fellow Mexican Lupe Pintor.

A disappointed Zarate retired after the Pintor fight but launched a comeback in 1986. He reeled off 12 consecutive wins before a technical loss to WBC super bantamweight champ Jeff Fenech in Australia. In 1988, he challenged Daniel Zaragoza for the same WBC title but was stopped in the 10th round.

He retired permanently after the Zaragoza fight.
the13r
TTR

Re: LUPE PINTOR vs CARLOS ZARATE

Post by the13r »

ROUND 1
10-9 Pintor
Pintor the aggressor busier in this round. Zarate studying and trying to time Pintor. Pintor landed some hooks, jab and straight rights.

ROUND 2
10-9 for Pintor
Pintor showing a nice counter jab and a 3 punch left hand combo ending to the body in the 1st minute. Pintor lands 2 nice left hooks half way in the round. Pintor lands a nice 2 hook combo on the inside with 1 minute left. Zarate displaying very nice composure under pressure, still studying Pintor.

ROUND 3
10-9 for Zarate
Pintor looking to work on the inside where Zarate blocks most of the work. Zarate a hook early in the round and landed 2 solid rights 1 minute in the round. Zarate landing the more heavier shots and in combos. Zarate landing his right particularly well with nice timing. Pintor landed nice hooks and jabs in the second half but Zarate's work more efficient. Zarate finally started to fight and he is taking control with excellent footwork, timing and awkward combos.

ROUND 4
10-8 for Zarate
Zarate established his hook in this round as the key punch so far. Zarate using it to catch Pintor moving out of the pocket. Zarate landing flush with the hook and throwing it a lot in the 1st half. Seemed to have hurt Pintor a little who for the 1st time started to back out and go backwards. With 20 seconds left, Zarate lands a 2 punches combo ended by the left hook and floors Pintor for the 1st time in his career.

Hls of the KD

ROUND 5
10-9 for Zarate
Zarate starts pretty strong trying to pressure Pintor with straight shots which worked, got Pintor in the ropes where both traded shots. Zarate remained on top of things but that gave a chance for Pintor to be more efficient since his arsenal is much better on the inside. Zarate displaying a great jab to control the pace and even Pintor's balance... Zarate lands a huge straight 1-2 at the end of the round.

ROUND 6
10-9 for Pintor
Early in the round, Pintor jumps in the pocket throwing a right and follows with a nice left... The right cut Zarate. Pintor backing up nicely when Zarate on the attack to then counter with the compact short left hook.

ROUND 7
10-9.5 for Zarate
Zarate dropped his left hand output considerably since the last round and that gives the opportunity for Pintor to be busier with his left and fight inside the pocket. The short shots from Pintor seem very efficient now. But half way in the round, it was Pintor's time to drop his output, Zarate pumped the jaba nd used fluid combos on the inside to even slightly rock Pintor in the final seconds. Close round.

ROUND 8
10-9.5 for Pintor
Zarate trying to control the action once again with footwork and his longer lead hand. Pintor letting Zarate instigate and attack so he can take a short step back and fight on the inside where his short left hook and jab do damage. Pintor countered Zarate flush with a left in the final minute. Zarate retaliated with a nice straight punch combo.

ROUND 9
10-9 for Pintor
Zarate threw an elbow to which Pintor retaliated with a flush counter left. Mills Lane warned Zarate. The countering lefts of Pintor controlling the fight in the first half. Pintor ending the round with nice liver hooks.

ROUND 10
10-9 for Pintor
Pintor still using that nicely working game plan of staying at the limit of the pocket to take a short step back when Zarate attacks... He can then work with his counter short left and his left hook which are controlling the action in the first 2 minutes. With 45 seconds left, Pintor hurts Zarate for the first time with a countering combo, the final blow being a counter jab that caught Zarate coming in.

ROUND 11
10-9 for Pintor
Pintor's countering short lefts still the most efficient tool in the 1st minute of the round. Zarate used his left a little more, landing it nicely a few times. Also landed a nice right in the final 30 seconds, but Pintor's short well timed counter lefts remain the best and most efficient punch of the round.

ROUND 12
10-9 for Zarate
Zarate trying to time his attacks better to not get fooled by the step back tactic of Pintor. Working ok but Pintor still is timing Zarate coming in with that counter left. Pintor also landed a nice uppercut. Half way in the round, Pintor landed a nice left hook and Zarate retaliate with a straight punch combo that landed flush. Zarate continued to apply pressure with straight punches and landing well. Zarate then controlled the action in the last minute with the short straight right and left hooks on the inside. Nice end of round for Zarate.

ROUND 13
10-9 for Pintor
Both fighters fighting from distance in the first half. Zarate jabbed for the whole round, but not a lot. Pintor landed flush left hooks regularly, and ended the round strong with hooks and straight rights.

ROUND 14
10-9.5 for Pintor
The round began with more action with Pintor landing a combo on the inside and Zarate then establishing distance by pumping the left. Pintor then took control landing a flush hook, and then landing a big right that sent Zarate in the ropes off balance. Pintor then landed some counter lefts while Zarate tried to regain control with quantity. Both guys traded in close in the last minute and Pintor got caught with 2 flush shots. They traded till the final bell from the clinch, both landing nice shots.

ROUND 15
10-9.5 for Zarate
Pintor landing a flush hook early, and the a flush 2 punch combo. Zarate then took control applying pressure and grinding in straight shots combos.

My Score:
Pintor 144
Zarate 142

Pintor vs Zarate Hls
http://nsa34.casimages.com/img/2013/04/ ... 571827.gif

Interesting infos, the weigh-in for the fight was at 7am, Pintor had to lose the extra .5 pound to make weight. Zarate made weight and drank a glass of orange juice and then a glass of honey.

Zarate only had heard the last bell once in his career... Pintor even though down once just used a great counter left throughout the fight to negate Zarate's big punches and attacks... He used a step back tactics and counter left to make the puncher miss and drag him int he pocket where his left hook was superior.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 1: Mostly a feeling out round, not much action to speak of. The only slightly hurtful punches I saw land were from Zarate at the end of the round.

10-9 Zarate

Round 2: Pintor ups the aggression, lands some good snappy jabs, a quick left hook upstairs and some solid left hooks to the body to take that round.

19-19 even

Round 3: Close one in the 3rd. Pintor did well in the early going of the round pressuring Zarate back along the ropes, and landing some solid right hands and lefts on him. Zarate started connecting with pretty big power shots down the stretch in the round with a good right hook followed a left combo at one point and a solid left hook at the bell. Zarate nicked the round by a hair I thought. This one is a swing round I'd say.

29-28 Zarate
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 4: Very strong round for Zarate in the 4th he stepped up his aggression significantly and landed more power shots on Pintor than he had in the previous 3 rounds, and dropped him toward the end of the round. Round ends as Pintor is doing all he can to stay upright while Zarate hammers him in the corner.

39-36 Zarate

Round 5: Another excellent round for Zarate as he continues landing a barrage of big power shots on Pintor even beating up Pintor on the inside through a great deal of the round which is where Pintor would've wanted the fight.

49-45 Zarate

Round 6: Pintor takes this round, he started landing some good right hands upstairs and getting into it a little better as it's become more of a brawling contest on the inside. Pintor landed the best shots of the round I thought.

58-55 Zarate
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 7: I'd have to favor Zarate ever so slightly in that round. They both landed some shots, but I felt it was about even coming down the stretch and he had a quick, short little flurry before the bell that gave him the edge I thought.

68-64 Zarate

Round 8: Another round where I'd give Zarate the edge. He landed the harder shots I thought, it was another brawling type round which favors Pintor, and while Pintor did certainly have his moments in that round the shots from Zarate seemed harder to me and landed more cleanly.

78-73 Zarate

Round 9: Good round for Pintor in the 9th he was able to land more consistently in that round, and that was enough to give him the edge there. Zarate landed some good shots of his own, but that was a Pintor round definitely.

87-83 Zarate
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 10: Pintor's best round of the fight by far he really brings heavy pressure and continues on the success he had in the 9th, stunning Zarate at one point in the round with a left and continuing to pressure him until the end of the round.

96-93 Zarate

Round 11: Another one I'd have to give to Pintor. His 3rd round in a row now on my card. Starting to see where this one got to be such a close call it was looking like Zarate had a clear advantage to me earlier, but Pintor has gotten himself into this fight now in a big way.

105-103 Zarate

Round 12: Was a real close, give and take round. I thought Pintor was the slightly more consistent fighter here connecting with more of his shots, but Zarate landed some really hard shots with the left and opened a cut on Pintor's eye with one of those hooks I believe. Very close round. I'd favor Pintor by a hair.

114-113 Zarate
Last edited by gilgamesh on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 13: I'd have to favor Pintor here. Both slowing down a bit from the pace they'd be fighting at in recent rounds, but Pintor's body shots were the best of the round.

123-123 even
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 14: Another good action round with both fighters landing heavy shots. I'd give Pintor the slight edge as he noticeably buckled Zarate at one point in the round with a right hand, and he probably had the slight edge in overall connects as well.

133-132 Pintor

Round 15: Slight edge to Zarate in that round, Pintor started stronger but Zarate landed some good shots down the stretch to take the 15th narrowly. Not the robbery I've heard it made out to be. I have it a draw.

142-142 even is my final score
Burley

Post by Burley »

Zarate was robbed.

Return to “Controversial Fights Revisited by TTR judges”