Anyone wanna revisit Canelo v Lara?

Chosen controversial fights by our members scored by our TTR judges
ObJuan13

Anyone wanna revisit Canelo v Lara?

Post by ObJuan13 »

I had Lara winning... wanna know if I'm crazy.
Cagiva9

Re: Anyone wanna revisit Canelo v Lara?

Post by Cagiva9 »

I could see someone scoring the fight for Lara, most rounds were very close. I read one account of the fight that said that Canelo's punches to the body were more slap than punch. If this were the case I couldn't tell that watching on my small screen and I gave several rounds to Canelo based on what I thought was effective body punching.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Post by gilgamesh »

I haven't watched it since it was Live, but I'll run it back and score it in here sometime soon
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

The fight was pretty damn boring...

But I thought Lara landed clean head shots, while Canelo was landing partially blocked body shots that were thrown with bad intentions.
ForceFed_231

Post by ForceFed_231 »

ObJuan13 wrote:I had Lara winning... wanna know if I'm crazy.
I'll watch again.

One fight that I've watched twice was Pavlik vs Taylor II. I came away with Taylor winning both times, so dispense with being crazy. I've been called everything, but a white man on utube for stating I thought Taylor won.

Watch Palvik vs Taylor II with the sound off, because Merchant and Lampley were sucking Palvik's sack hard.
Hillsinitialrebirth

Post by Hillsinitialrebirth »

I had Lara winning too....
TopNotch86

Post by TopNotch86 »

what for? it was a pretty one sided fight IMO. canelo won easy
"He's a fighter, I'm a fighter, if I'm better on that day, I win. That's just the way it goes. Someday, every fighter loses. Sooner or later, somebody comes along and they got your ticket. Too old, just wasn't your day, whatever the reason is. In the end, everybody gets beaten. The most you can hope for is that you stay on top a while. Be the best."
koolkc107

Post by koolkc107 »

Had a wider margin watching live.

Giving every benefit of the doubt to Lara the closest I could get rewatching is 7-5 Canelo.

Rounds 1,3,5,6,10 for Lara
Rounds 2,4,7,8,9,11,12 for Canelo

And that is generous since Lara was on his bike a whole lot and not busy enough.

All this fight really proved was how good Mayweather really was against Saul.
Lara is supposed to be as fast, as studied and bigger and more powerful than Floyd,
yet he fought a vastly more inferior fight.

In a rematch, Canelo probably wins in a more one-sided fashion.
"Golovkin has built his reputation saying he will fight anybody. I'm raising my hand. I'm somebody. Let's do it."

-SOG
Cagiva9

Post by Cagiva9 »

koolkc107 wrote:Had a wider margin watching live.

Giving every benefit of the doubt to Lara the closest I could get rewatching is 7-5 Canelo.

And that is generous since Lara was on his bike a whole lot and not busy enough.

Lara is supposed to be as fast, as studied and bigger and more powerful than Floyd,

Even if we ignore the fact that Canelo/Lara was fought at 155 not 152, I still think Lara presents a lot of problems for Floyd that Canelo just can't at any weight. Also, Floyd's power wouldn't intimidate Lara so I don't see Lara giving away rounds because he's afraid to engage. Not saying Floyd/Lara would have been an exciting fight, just a much much different fight.
Yes, I do digress...but you started it :mrgreen:
koolkc107

Post by koolkc107 »

Cagiva9 wrote:
koolkc107 wrote:Had a wider margin watching live.

Even if we ignore the fact that Canelo/Lara was fought at 155 not 152, I still think Lara presents a lot of problems for Floyd that Canelo just can't at any weight. Also, Floyd's power wouldn't intimidate Lara so I don't see Lara giving away rounds because he's afraid to engage. Not saying Floyd/Lara would have been an exciting fight, just a much much different fight.
Yes, I do digress...but you started it :mrgreen:
I will ignore it (152 vs 155) because I don't think weight played a factor in either fight.

When I spoke of what the fight proved, I was making the observation that the smaller Floyd dominated Canelo,
whereas the southpaw, bigger, harder punching, and presumably just as fast of hand and foot Lara found it prudent
to run all night.

That is indeed a tribute to just how good Floyd is since Mayweather spent huge segments of his fight with Canelo either
ring center or walking forward.

All that being said, I kinda agree with you about the Lara take.
Erislandy would present a lot of the same problems for Floyd that DLH did with
southpaw and handspeed upgrades thrown in to boot.

But, as we saw with Pac, Floyd doesn't have a big problem with lefties and Lara coming forward (which he'd
do against Floyd) is pretty easy to hit.

Maybe it's a tough fight, maybe not. But I think Floyd wins it.

Just like you tho, I would have loved to see it.
"Golovkin has built his reputation saying he will fight anybody. I'm raising my hand. I'm somebody. Let's do it."

-SOG
Walstan86

Post by Walstan86 »

Lara won 7 rounds to 5. Canelo proved he has one of the sturdiest chins in boxing---because he ate a shovelful of clean punches. But you gotta score all of those for the guy he threw them...and kept throwing them all fight long. Sadly, Lara was robbed. There's really not an argument. (Canelo fought well, very well. But he was out-worked by Lara.)
"... I won the battle of the bands w/ a ballad." -- LORD
jeff_lacy_ko

Post by jeff_lacy_ko »

Lara threw less punches overall. He hit on jabs but canelo outlanded him on power shots 88 to 52

Really a poor fight. Close fight the star got the decision's

Return to “Controversial Fights Revisited by TTR judges”