James Toney vs Montell Griffin 1

Chosen controversial fights by our members scored by our TTR judges
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

James Toney vs Montell Griffin 1

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 1: Good 1st round for Montell Griffin as he lands several counter hooks and right hands on James Toney as Toney tries to initiate offense.

1-0 Griffin
gilgamesh

Re: James Toney vs Montell Griffin 1

Post by gilgamesh »

Toney more aggressive in the 2nd, landing some good body punches and hooks on the inside. Griffin firing back with the occasional counter hook, but Toney getting the better of the round overall.

1-1 even

Round 3: Griffin was controlling the majority of the round, but was rocked very, very badly toward the end of the round and barely stayed on his feet. So that gives Toney the edge, in what was a pretty competitive round.

2-1 Toney
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Very close 4th round as James lands some heavy leather on the inside while Griffin is able to land several jabs on the outside and the occasional hook on the inside exchanges as well. I'd have to give the round to James as I felt his punches were heavier, but it was close.

3-1 Toney
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Extremely close 5th round, they were fighting in the pocket which is often Toney's specialty, and you saw some of that here, but I felt like Griffin's punches from a distance won him the round. It was very, very close though. Lots of punches landed by both guys.

3-2 Toney

Good 6th round for Toney. He lands the heavier punches on the inside. Griffin answers back in spots, but doesn't land with the kind of consistency or authority that James lands with.

4-2 Toney

Competitive 7th round, but Griffin lands a hook toward the end of the round that sees Toney tumble into the ropes with the ropes being the only thing that keeps him upright. It's not called a knockdown, but probably should've been. Good shot from Griffin and enough to give him the round.

4-3 Toney
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Good work from James on the inside in the 8th. Griffin still getting his shots in, but James landing the heavier, cleaner blows in that round, and fighting more his kinda fight.

5-3 Toney

Round 9 was another pretty tight one, but Toney lands a jarring right hand with about 30 seconds left in the round that probably steals the round for him. Griffin took it pretty well considering, but it was easily the heaviest shot of the round from either fighter, and in a round that didn't have much to separate the two. That's definitely the difference.

6-3 Toney

Another round I'd have to give to Toney. He landed the heavier shots, and shook Griffin on more than one occasion in that round. There's just no doubt that Toney is doing the more effective punching here.

7-3 Toney
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Good 11th for Montell Griffin. He landed the cleaner punches in that round, it was fight on the inside and therefore close, just like several of the previous rounds, but I felt Griffin's punches landed cleaner in that 11th.

7-4 Toney
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Toney takes the 12th round, despite Griffin's efforts to steal it in the final seconds.

Good fight, I have it 116-112 for Toney. It was definitely a HIGHLY questionable decision in Griffin's favor. I just don't see any case to be made for it.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

The Official scores were: 114-114 even, 115-113 Griffin, and 116-112 for Griffin.

Harold Lederman had it 114-112 for James Toney. ( Scoring 2 10-8 rounds)

I just can't see any justification for those scores in Griffin's favor.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

In George Foreman's words in the aftermath of the fight "If Montell Griffin won that fight...cows lay eggs"

(He actually said Montell Williams, but that was just one of them George moments ya know LOL)

Return to “Controversial Fights Revisited by TTR judges”