Wilfredo Gomez vs Rocky Lockridge

Chosen controversial fights by our members scored by our TTR judges
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Wilfredo Gomez vs Rocky Lockridge

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 1: On the video I have it starts off with 2 minutes left in the 1st round, I believe because there were technical difficulties in the broadcast or whatever, but other than a few right hands here and there Lockridge controls the round with the heavier punches, and is pushing Gomez back the entire round. Lockridge controls the round, and wins most of the exchanges.

10-9 Lockridge

Round 2: Wildly entertaining round as both men are firing away with their heaviest bombs all the way through. Gomez is able to get through with several more of his right hands and hooks in the 2nd round, and it seemed to my eyes like he landed a bit more than Lockridge did, and his punches seemed to land cleaner in that round for the most part. Though Lockridge certainly got his share in. The Two battled briefly after the bell.

19-19 even

Round 3: Another wild round with lots of two way action, Lockridge's punches seemed to land heavier on Gomez and have more effect on Gomez than Wilfredo's punches had on Lockridge. Both guys still landing a lot of punches though in another wild round with lots of action. I have to give the edge to Lockridge by a hair there, but that was a close one.

29-28 - Lockridge *

Round 4: Damn I forgot just how exciting this fight was. Gomez firing away with punches to the head and body, Lockridge appeared to stun Gomez momentarily on a few occasions in the round, but Gomez was firing right back all the way. Gomez threw more punches to the body, but the heavier damage done by Lockridge probably gives him the edge in that round. Another tight one.

39-37 Lockridge *

Round 5: Gomez was able to box a bit better in this round, using his legs to avoid Lockridge who was trying to swarm him with pressure just like in the previous 4 rounds, Gomez had the better accuracy and timing on his shots in that round though, and landed quite a few clean rights to the head, and a lot of good bodyshots. Lockridge got in some good stuff too, as this was another action round, but he didn't seem quite as effective as he had been in the previous 4 rounds here.

48-47 Lockridge

Round 6: Lockridge's most effective round of the fight as his pressure really appeared to be slowing Gomez down there, and he landed some of his most effective punches. Gomez still punching back and staying in the fight, but this round wasn't debatable. Clear Lockridge round.

58-56 Lockridge

Round 7: Felt similar to the previous round with Lockridge's pressure being the story of the round, and the heavier punches coming from Lockridge as well. Gomez did a bit better here than he did in the 7th, but I don't think there's any doubt that Lockridge took this round as well.

68-65 Lockridge
gilgamesh

Re: Wilfredo Gomez vs Rocky Lockridge

Post by gilgamesh »

Round 8: Best round yet for Lockridge as his pressure is getting to Gomez more and more, and he landed 2 of his most devastating punches yet in the fight when he landed a vicious overhand right followed by a left uppercut when Gomez was against the ropes. Gomez showing guts standing up to those punches, but this was another round that was all Lockridge. Gomez taking a beating these last 3 rounds.

78-74 Lockridge

Round 9: Lockridge still controlling the fight with his pressure in the 9th, he slowed down a bit and didn't land the kind of heavy blows that had shaken Gomez in the previous few rounds, but it was still Rocky's fight, and he was still dictating the pace throughout. Gomez kept from getting hurt, but that's about all I can give him in that round. Another clear round for Lockridge.

88-83 Lockrige

Round 10: More thudding shots landing for Lockridge in that round as Gomez just looks exhausted as Lockridge continues to bring his relentless pressure. Gomez gamely fired back in the final minute, but that was another round that was dominated by Lockridge.

98-92 Lockridge

Round 11: A combination of Lockridge slowing down, and Gomez seemingly getting a 2nd wind led to Gomez taking his first round in quite a long stretch. Lockridge was still applying pressure, but not firing as many shots, and Gomez seemingly re-energized by Lockridge's decline used the opportunity to let his hands go more than he had in several rounds, and take it by outworking Lockridge, and landing the cleaner shots.

107-102 Lockridge

Round 12: Lockridge slowing down even more in the 12th and Gomez's resurgence continues as he fired away with both hands and connected with several clean right hands, and just all around controlled the round with the higher workrate. Lockridge looking gassed as his pressure from the previous rounds has slowed tremendously.

116-112 Lockridge

Round 13: More of the same as Lockridge continues to fight at a much slower pace, and Gomez's resurgence in the fight continues. Gomez's late fight surge is making it close now.

125-122 Lockridge

Round 14: Gomez continues to outwork Lockridge throughout the majority of the round, toward the end of the round they're forced to take a break as the referee ties Gomez's shoes, and the breather seemed to do Lockridge some good as he landed some heavy shots on Gomez down the stretch of the round, but Gomez controlled the larger portion of the round so you still have to give him the edge, but this round was closer than the previous 3.

134-132 Lockridge *
gilgamesh

Re: Wilfredo Gomez vs Rocky Lockridge

Post by gilgamesh »

15th Round: Gomez continued to fire away, and keep his late fight comeback going. Lockridge sensing the fight was too close for comfort fired back more in this round than he had in most of the previous 4, but Gomez was on a roll by this point and edged the round.

143-142 Lockridge is my final score

I thought rounds 2, 3, 4 and 14 were swing rounds in this bout. I scored Rounds 2 and 14 for Gomez, while I scored rounds 3 and 4 for Lockridge.

The official scores were 145-143 Gomez, 144-144, and 145-144 Gomez. So Gomez officially took this fight by Majority Decision.

While it was a close fight, and I had Lockridge winning by a point. I wouldn't call this one a robbery, it was a very close fight and the official scores reflect that. I'm sure Gomez got the benefit of the doubt in a lot of those swing rounds given that they were fighting in Puerto Rico, but hey that's the way it often goes in Boxing.

Return to “Controversial Fights Revisited by TTR judges”