Mayorga-Forrest II

Chosen controversial fights by our members scored by our TTR judges
athenian

Mayorga-Forrest II

Post by athenian »

[youtubefullurl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9S2eZPxxRo[/youtubefullurl]

Round 1 - Vernon’s jab was the defining element of this round. He used it to attack, to measure and to contain Mayorga. Lot’s of looping shots by Mayorga which were ducked by Vernon. Forrest did a good job being physical on one occasion on the inside just to let Mayorga know he wasn’t going to be bullied this fight. I don’t recall Mayorga landing anything remotely cleanly. Vernon’s round...10-9 Vernon

Round 2 - Mayorga starts off solid. A lot of looping punches that miss, but some of them connect, some are blocked. Crowd gets going. Two solid rights by Vernon. Forrest hits the deck 2x, one an accident (maybe acting), one due to Mayorga being physical. Mayorga getting better of exchanges. I wonder, why is it so hard to box this guy? Shields lecturing the hell out of Vernon between rounds. George comments on Forrest’s mouth being open. I believe this is the fight where he talks about Forrests mouth piece being too big and me realizing he is insane. Mayorga’s round...19-19

Round 3 - Some clean first shots landed by Vernon to start, but a big right by Mayorga 1 minute in makes an impact. Mayorga’s overhand right for some reason is tough to avoid, his left is slipped easily. Mayorga throwing wild shots, they are being blocked. Forrest’s composure makes it seem like they are landing. Tough round to score. Forrest landed more shots and cleaner shots, but Mayorga’s physicality may have swayed judges. I will give it to him for stealing it. Mayorga’s round... 29-28 Mayorga

Round 4 - Lederman talking about Vernon’s mouthpiece. Drunkie Magee puts Lederman in his place and says he’s been boxing forever and he probably knows what works for him. Slow round. Best shot 2 minutes in probably a left to the body by Mayorga. Drunkee makes a great point, that Forrest’s awkward lumbering around the ring when Mayorga is trying to bully him makes it seem like he is being hurt more than he really is. Mayorga takes a mean 1-2 by Vernon. Then asks for more. Forrest cracks him with a two 1-2s, then Mayorga goes on the attack. Whether the punches hurt Mayorga or not, they landed, and they landed cleanly. You can’t judge it off whether a guy was hurt or not, punches landed. Vernon’s round...38-38

Round 5 - Mayorga right hand ands or at least makes contact. I don’t know why Vernon can’t evade that put easily dodges his lefts. Mayorga more on the offensive, Forrest not doing much 70 seconds in. Nice right hand by Mayorga, Vernon on the move now. Jay Nady doing a good job reffing this fight on a side note. Two left hands by Forrest, Lamps doesn’t acknowledge it. Two left hooks land by Forrest. I don’t think Vernon stole it. The fan in me wants to give it to him but I can’t. Mayorga’s round….48-47 Mayorga

Round 6 - Mayorga starts off hot. Throwing wild shots. Forrest is really awkward when blocking these. His body composure just seems weird, maybe because he is so tall and is crouching so low and blocking, he appears to be impacted it but probably isn’t. Some stiff punches by Forrest land at the 1 min remaining mark. Forrest doing a better job of going to his right, taking away Mayorga’s right hand. Forrest lands some shots at the end that kept Mayorga at bay, some which landed with some intent. Tough round to score...I will mark it even. 58-57 Mayorga

Round 7 - Solid combo by Vernon about 20 seconds in. Vernon doing a good job this round moving and keeping Mayorga at bay. Something I just noticed….Mayorga’s pretty quick moving in, despite the fact his punches are wild and loopy. His feet move quickly as he works inside and some of his shorter punches connect because of it...Vernon doing a good job boxing this round though. Mayorga getting aggressive, but it’s not working. Vernon landing some shots going backwards and some as well as he stands toe to toe with him in the center of the ring. Very good round for Vernon. 67-67.

Round 8 - Slow start to this round, Mayorga lands a nice over right hand. Has Vernon on ropes and lands another short combo. Roughing Forrest up here a little...nice uppercut. Solid exchange in the middle of the ring. Couple rights land by Forrest. Solid right and and a crisp left hook by Forrest. Mayorga started off strong by Forrest took control in the 2nd half with crisp punches and solid ring generalship. Vernon’s round... 77-76 Vernon

Round 9 - Great combo for Forrest to start the round, punctuated by a left hook. Looping right hand lands not far after. Solid jabs by Forrest, and hit to the body. Forrest moves to the right and gets hit by a wild right that is blocked by Forrest, but definitely makes an impact. Forrest should never be going to the left. Some clinches and missed shots by both fighters in the last minute with not much happening. Vernon’s round...87-85 Vernon

Round 10 - Rabbit punches by Mayorga...soon after a couple clean shots land by Mayorga. Lampley going absolutely bat shit crazy. strong start by the Matador who is able to keep Forrest away from the middle of the ring. Big exchanges in the middle of the ring by both guys. Big leaping left hook by Forrest followed by a solid right. Mayorga seems tired but gets bursts of energy back and keeps coming forward. God I love this guys tenacity. Exchange at the end favors Mayorga who was trying to hammer at Forrest. Mayorga’s round...96-95 Vernon

Round 11 - Forrest ducking down right in front of Mayorga preventing Mayorga from landing anything clean, while at the same time he throws shots to the back of Forrest’s head which he has been warned about several times, reminds me of Mayweather-Hatton. Forrest measuring him well here, and when not, tying him up on the inside. Mayorga charging forward in the 2nd half of the round. Forrest landing some clean shots, but Mayorga still the more physical one who is standing his ground and definitely weighing on Forrest. Even round to me, can’t score it. 106-105 Vernon

Round 12 - Forrest clearly trying to box this round, lands some lefts while going back. A solid combo lands by Forrest as he steps back at range. 3 punch clear combo lands by Forrest, solid. Mayorga follows up with some wild shots that don’t land cleanly but gets the crowd going. Forrest lands a nice right...guys seem pretty tired as they decide who should engage who with a 70 seconds left. Check hook and right hand by Vernon. 30 seconds left, Mayorga coming forward but Forrest hitting Mayorga and keeping him from landing cleanly. Left lands by Vernon at the sound of the bell. Both fighters think they’ve won. Vernon’s round...I’ve got it 116-114 Vernon

I had Vernon taking control of the fight in the 2nd half. Mayorga’s aggression I think is overrated because it wasn’t effective. It got the crowd going, and him being physical may have seemingly impacted Forrest. But one guy pushing another around the ring doesn’t count for anything unless he is doing it with punches, or if it makes them constantly be in retreat. This wasn’t happening, Forrest was able to box after situations like this. I think the difference between my scorecards and the judges were the even rounds (which I think they gave to Mayorga because he is the "champ" and/or because he was more physical, but I don't think it was effective...Forrest may have done himself in seemingly playing into it often).

Lederman - 115-113 Mayorga - gave Mayorga the last round which was surprising
Larry O’Connell - 115-114 Mayorga
Ove Oveson - 116-112 Mayorga
Jerry Roth - 114-114 even
athenian

Re: Mayorga-Forrest II

Post by athenian »

Anyone?
gomez1012

Post by gomez1012 »

I thought Mayorga won clearly both times. Forrest just couldn't deal with the awkward power shots.
athenian

Post by athenian »

You're wrong unless you do an analysis.

Return to “Controversial Fights Revisited by TTR judges”