De La Hoya Vs. Whitaker

Chosen controversial fights by our members scored by our TTR judges
Peat56

De La Hoya Vs. Whitaker

Post by Peat56 »

I would like to see a comprehensive review of this fight here.

I really think that De La Hoya DID NOT win this fight. And therefore Whitaker should have kept his title on a draw or even a win.

De La Hoya looked sloppy (as most fighters do against Sweet Pea) and did not do that much that seemed effective against the champ.

Granted, Whitaker did not look like he was going to stop De La Hoya, nor did he dominate. But Sweet Pea scored the only knockdown of the fight, and won many rounds.

I just didn't see a win there for De La Hoya.
gilgamesh
TTR's Round by Round Expert

Re: De La Hoya Vs. Whitaker

Post by gilgamesh »

I had it 114-113 for De La Hoya. I thought they were neck and neck the whole way and that knockdown and all around assault from Oscar in the 12th gave him the edge in my opinion.

EDIT: Holy shit, ignore this post. I made this comment a long time ago, but for some reason was thinking that this was about Oscar vs Quartey. So my comment above is my opinion of the Oscar vs Quartey fight. Not the Oscar vs Whitaker fight. My bad on that. I have this fight as well though, and I'll score it soon.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Watching this fight back now. Will score it RBR as if it's Live in this thread.
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

I'd give the edge to Oscar in the 1st. He landed the heavier blows in the clinches, and other than that there wasn't much landed from either guy. Oscar got in a few decent shots from the outside as well.

1-0 DLH

Even better round for Oscar in the 2nd as Whitaker continues doing very little offensively, showboats a few times in the round, meanwhile Oscar lands all of the clean punches in the round. Works him over in the clinches again, and lands the better shots from the outside as well.

2-0 DLH

Pernell turned up the heat big time in the 3rd, but Oscar still landed effective shots on the inside in the clinches and landed the heavier shots overall in the round I'd say. I'd have that round for Oscar as well, but it's extremely close.

3-0 DLH
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Whitaker continuing the momentum he started to build in the 3rd there in the 4th with good boxing from the outside (very consistent jab) and some of that defensive genius he's known for. Oscar came on late in the round and tried to rally toward the end, but it had been Whitaker's round all the way, and that last little surge wasn't enough to change that.

3-1 DLH

Whitaker looking very sharp in the 5th, landed several clean shots on Oscar while Oscar is mostly swinging at air through the round. Pernell showboating a little, and making the round closer than it should be at the end, but it's definitely his round.

3-2 DLH

Whitaker continuing his momentum into the 6th has probably his best round yet in the fight, and continues tagging Oscar with clean shots while Oscar is mostly swinging at air and missing Pernell. This round Whitaker did the better work in the clinches and landed the better shots.

3-3 even after 6
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Another good round for Whitaker in the 7th. He continues landing the cleaner shots, while DLH is still struggling to find him.

4-3 Whitaker

Great round for Oscar in the 8th breaking the momentum of Whitaker. Whitaker looked frustrated when he missed a counter left, and Oscar seemingly energized by that showing of frustration from Whitaker threw a lot of punches and landed a fair share trying to rally and steal the round. Which he did.

4-4 even after 8.

Whitaker scores a knockdown in the 9th as Oscar foolishly tries to switch stances to Southpaw. He had done that earlier in the fight, not particularly effective, but this time Whitaker made him pay catching him with a left and scoring a knockdown...10-8 round for Whitaker

5-4 Whitaker (86-84)
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

Another good round for Whitaker in the 10th. He lands some good shots, while Oscar is struggling to find him. Oscar landed some good shots in the clinches toward the end of the round, but other than that, it was Whitaker's round.

6-4 (96-93 Whitaker)

I thought Whitaker took the 11th as well. Continued outboxing Oscar, and Oscar continued throwing punches without landing much.

7-4 (106-102 Whitaker)

Final Round coming up....
gilgamesh

Post by gilgamesh »

I had the 12th round for Oscar as there was a bit too much "Prevent Defense" from Whitaker, but it was another close round.

But that makes my final tally... 115-112 Pernell Whitaker

The only rounds I thought were swing rounds were rounds 3 and 12 both of which I scored for Oscar, so if I had given Pernell those rounds I'd have him winning 117-110...in other words. I don't see any way Oscar won this fight.
Peat56

OSCAR DE LA HOYA vs PERNELL WHITAKER

Post by Peat56 »

I think Whitaker should have won or AT THE VERY LEAST kept his title in a draw. The faded Whitaker made De La Hoya look sloppy. Whitaker was never in trouble once in the fight. Oh yeah, there was one knock-down and it was scored against De La Hoya.

The fact that Whitaker was on his way out and De La Hoya was a rising star figured heavily in how this was judged. If the exact same ring action took place with Whitaker as champ against a lesser known fighter, Whitaker surely would have retained his title.

Return to “Controversial Fights Revisited by TTR judges”