"Dream fights" involving Mike Tyson can never be boring.

Chosen controversial fights by our members scored by our TTR judges
Peat56

"Dream fights" involving Mike Tyson can never be boring.

Post by Peat56 »

It's easy to imagine fights involving many all time great heavyweights having dull outcomes. What I mean is, I could easily imagine Larry Holmes (who I regard as one of the three best heavyweights ever!) outboxing other ATGs in fights that are one-sided, uneventful, unspectacular, and undramatic.

But this can't be the case with Mike Tyson. Against any other ATG he either wins by KO in exciting fashion, or he is kayoed himself.

Very hard to imagine him beating another ATG by decision. The only way this could happen is if he hurt the guy enough early on that he was rendered ineffective and goes into survival mode, and lasts for 12 rounds. But I don't really see that happening. I see Tyson hurting some other ATGs, only to have them rally to knock him out. Against certain others, Tyson wins fast and furiously.
classicboxfan

Re: "Dream fights" involving Mike Tyson can never be boring.

Post by classicboxfan »

good to see your hypothetical bouts have made the journey to the 13th Round

I will look forward to enjoying your insights and opinions into the future :)

I agree in theory peat, in his peak prime he was so explosive offensively that even when he encountered a tall long jabbing technician ( which was always his potential Achilles heel and as his skills diminished became his kryptonite ) and was taken the distance, there was ALWAYS the energy in the air that at any given moment Mike could end it.

Holyfield was about the only exception to the equation. Tyson, however, by that time was a mere shadow of his former self.

If Tony Tucker could last the distance with him, prime Holmes would jab his head off. Long tall jabber and boxing technician. Conversely I agree those HW champs that were stand and bangers would hardly stand a chance as they would be facing a bigger stronger and faster version of themselves IMHO.
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

Tucker did go 12 with Tyson. And yes, I think fighters superior to Tucker and who possess the same physical characteristics, would likely KO Tyson. I suppose it could go the other way, where Tyson hurts a guy, slows him, but the opponent rallies to clearly win 7 or 8 rounds but is somehow unable to stop Tyson due to the punishment Tyson has inflicted, but I don't see that as too likely. A prime Tyson is a 'do or die' guy.
Peat56

Post by Peat56 »

classicboxfan -- it is good to see you here too!
ObJuan13

Post by ObJuan13 »

Tyson vs Wlad is a fight I would have loved to watch. Could the 1,2 style keep Tyson back? Would Wlad fold under the power and speed? Would Tyson get discouraged w/o early success? Would Wlad show resilience after a few KDs a la the Peter fight?

Size vs Explosiveness

Return to “Controversial Fights Revisited by TTR judges”