March 10th

Same day events that happened in boxing history
straycat
TTR Superfights Challenge #9 Champion
Location: We Miss You Buddy, Though You're Gone You Are Not Forgotten!

March 10th

Post by straycat »

1888- HW Boxing champ John L Sullivan draws Charlie Mitchell in 30 rounds

1943- Manuel Ortiz retains his world Bantamweight title with an eleventh round knockout of former world champion Lou Salica, at their Oakland rematch.

1944- Sal Bartolo beats Phil Terranova by a decision in fifteen rounds to win the National Boxing Association's world Featherweight title, in Boston. Nonetheless, Willie Pep continues being recognized as the sole world Featherweight champion by most fans and the press.

1986- Marvin Hagler retains his undisputed world Middleweight title with an eleventh round knockout of John Mugabi. Initially Hagler had hurt his back and could not fight on the first date booked in 1985. Hagler took Mugabi's best shots and came back handily, stopping Mugabi. Due to the vicious body shots sustained, both men would later urinate blood.
Also on this date Thomas Hearns wins the NABF Middleweight title with a first round knockout of James Shuler, Sadly, 2 weeks after the fight Schuler was killed in a motorcycle accident. Hearns presented the NABF Championship belt to Shulers family at his funeral saying he deserved to keep the belt as he had held it longer than Hearns.
And Gaby Canizales wins the WBA world Bantamweight title with a seventh round knockout of Richie Sandoval, who was critically injured and almost died in the days after the fight. The three fights took place in Las Vegas.

1987- Wladimir Klitschko successfully defends his IBF Heavyweight title after defeating Ray Austin by 2nd round knockout. The knockout came as the result of four consecutive left hooks to Austin's head. Klitschko did not use his right hand once during the fight, doing all his work with his left jab and left hook.
Ĩ ÁM ŚŤŔÁŶČÁŤ ÁŃĎ Ĩ ÁPPŔŐVĔ ŤĤĨŚ MĔŚŚÁĞĔ
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
straycat

Post by straycat »

Passed Away On This Day

1969- Jimmy Wilde (born in Pentwyn Deintyr, Wales May 15, 1892 - March 10, 1969)
Welsh world boxing champion. Jimmy Wilde was the first official world flyweight champion and was rated by American boxing writer Nat Fleischer, as well as many other professionals and fans including former boxer, trainer, manager and promoter, Charley 'Broadway' Rose, as "the greatest flyweight ever". Wilde earned various nicknames such as, "The Mighty Atom", "Ghost with the Hammer in his Hand" and "The Tylorstown Terror".
Jimmy Wilde's birth certificate shows he was born in the Taff Bargoed Valley community of Pentwyn Deintyr) (now known as the Graig), Quakers Yard, Treharris, in the county borough of Merthyr Tydfil but his parents later moved to the village of Tylorstown in the Rhondda Valley when Wilde was twelve years old. Wilde was the son of a coal miner, who himself worked in the coal pits. Wilde was small enough to crawl through gullies impassable to most of his colleagues. Wilde first fought at the age of sixteen in fairground boxing booths, where crowds were amazed by his toughness and ability to knock down much larger opponents, most of which were local toughmen weighing around 200 lbs. In 1910 Wilde married his wife Elizabeth and was a father the same year. He left Tylorstown Colliery in 1913. In 1916 Wilde joined the army and was sent to Aldershot as a PT instructor.
The record books often show that Wilde started boxing professionally in 1911 but it is widely assumed that he had been fighting professionally for at least four years before that. Wilde's claim that he had at least 800 fights is probably greatly exaggerated, but it was rather more than the 144 shown in Boxrec and elsewhere. Wilde's officially listed debut was on 26 December 1910, when he fought Les Williams to a no-decision in three rounds. His first win came on 1 January 1911, when he knocked out Ted Roberts in the third round.
Managed by Teddy Lewis, reserve captain of local rugby club, Pontypridd RFC, Wilde went undefeated in 103 bouts, all of which were held in Britain, a remarkable achievement. In the middle of that streak, on 31 December 1912, he won the British 7 stone championship by beating Billy Padden by an eighteenth-round knockout in Glasgow. He finally lost his undefeated record when he challenged Tancy Lee for the vacant British flyweight title and Europe championship on 15 January 1915 in London. Wilde was knocked out in the seventeenth round (of twenty).
Wilde then embarked on a sixteen-fight knockout streak, and on 14 February 1916, he won the British flyweight title by beating Joe Symonds by a knockout in round twelve at the National Sporting Club in London. On 24 April 1916 Wilde beat Johnny Rosner by a knockout in the eleventh round at Liverpool Stadium to win the IBU world flyweight title. On 13 May he had two fights on the same day at Woolwich Dockyard (against Darkey Saunders and Joe Magnus), winning both by knockout, both fights combined lasting less than five rounds. On 26 June Wilde returned to the National Sporting Club to take his revenge on Tancy Lee with an eleventh-round knockout. On 18 December Wilde became recognised as the first World Flyweight Champion (the IBU title was only recognised in Europe) when he defeated Young Zulu Kid of the United States whose seconds threw in the towel during the eleventh round of their bout at the Holborn Stadium.
In 1917, he retained the title by beating George Clarke by a knockout in four. With that win, he also won the European title and recovered the British title. But that would be his last title defence, as soon he decided to vacate the world title. He kept fighting and winning, and in 1919, he beat Joe Lynch, another boxer who was a world champion, by decision in 15. In 1920 he went undefeated in 10 fights, but then, he lost by a knockout in 17 to former world bantamweight champion Pete Herman, who outweighed Wilde by more than a stone (14 pounds), in 1921. The bout was originally scheduled as a title defence, but Herman had lost his championship to Lynch the month before. Herman easily regained the bantamweight title from Lynch in July 1921, leading some to suspect that he had left the title behind with Lynch in America intentionally. That was the fight that marked his return to Britain after touring the United States all of 1920. After a win over Young Jennings, he announced his retirement.
Wilde returned to the ring out of a sense of obligation to defend his title against Pancho Villa on 18 June 1923. After losing by a knockout in seven to the Philippines' first world champion, Wilde announced his retirement.
Jimmy Wilde lived the last few years of his life in the Cadoxton district of Barry, South Wales. With his final boxing winnings, Wilde entered into several business schemes, including a Welsh cinema chain and partnership in a cafe at 5 Western Shelter, Barry Island that was named 'The Mighty Atom' cafe. None was successful and he spent his final years in poverty. In 1965, Wilde suffered a serious mugging at a train station in Cardiff, from which he never recovered. His wife, Elizabeth, died in 1967, and two years later Wilde died in a hospital in Whitchurch. He was buried in Barry Cemetery.
Awards and recognition
He had a record of 137 wins, 4 losses, 2 draws and 8 no-decisions, with 100 wins by knockout, which makes him one of the most prolific knockout winners of all time, according to Ring Magazine, publication which also named him the 3rd greatest puncher of all time in 2003.
In 1990, Wilde was elected into the International Boxing Hall Of Fame as a member of that institution's original class. In 1992 he was also inducted into the Welsh Sports Hall of Fame and one of his prize winning belts is part of the organisation's display.

1888- John L. Sullivan D 39 Charley Mitchell, Chantilly, France. Retains Bareknuckle World Heavyweight Title. Fought on the estate of Baron Rothschild.

1933- "Slapsie" Maxie Rosenbloom W 15 Adolf Heuser, NYC. Retains World Light Heavyweight Title.

1943- Manuel Ortiz KO 11 Lou Salica, Oakland. Retains World Bantamweight Title.

1947- Ezzard Charles KO 4 Jimmy Bivins, Cleveland.

1972- Alfonzo Frazer W 15 Nicolino Locche, Panama City. Wins World Super Lightweight Title.

1979- Danny "Little Red" Lopez KO 2 Roberto Castanon, Salt Lake City. Retains WBC Featherweight Title.

1979- Carlos Zarate KO 3 Mensah Kpalongo, Inglewood. Retains WBC Bantamweight Title.

1986- Marvelous Marvin Hagler KO 11 John (The Beast) Mugabi, Las Vegas. Retains World Middleweight Title. Hagler’s 12th-successful title defense.

1986- Thomas "Hitman" Hearns KO 1 James Shuler.

1986- Gaby Canizales KO 7 Richard Sandoval, Las Vegas. Wins WBA Bantamweight Title. Sandoval was dropped once in the first, once in the fifth, and three times in the seventh. After his fifth fall, Sandoval lay motionless on the canvas and stopped breathing for 90-seconds. Fortunately, there was no massive hemorrhaging. Sandoval would never fight again.

1989- Fabrice Benichou W 12 Jose Sanabria, Limoges, France. Wins IBF Super Bantamweight Title.

1990- Welcome Ncita W 12 Fabrice Benichou, Tel Aviv. Wins IBF Super Bantamweight Title.

2001- Shane Mosley KO 5 Shannon Taylor, Las Vegas. Retains World Welterweight Title.

2007- Wladimir Klitschko KO 2 Ray Austin, Manneheim, Germany. Retains IBF Heavyweight Title.

2007- Souleymane M’Baye D 12 Andreas Kotelnik, Liverpool, England. Retains WBA Super Lightweight Title.

Born On This Day

1974- Junior Witter (born in Bradford, West Yorkshire, England)
Former WBC world light-welterweight champion, and has been a European, British and Commonwealth Light-Welterweight champion.
Witter's first fight as a professional took place in January 1997 and scored a draw over Cameron Raeside at the Green Bank Leisure Centre in Derbyshire. He scored his first win as a professional in his next fight, travelling to Yarm to beat John Green over six rounds. Five more fights happened in 1997 (all wins) for Witter to end the year with a record of 6-0-1. Witters next year as a professional started in the same way as his first; a draw over Mark Grundy! Despite this he fought four more times during the year meaning that at the end of only his second year as a pro he had compiled of record of 12-0-2 scoring decent wins along the way over the likes of Jan Piet Bergman (35-1) and Mark Winters (13-1). The beginning of 1999 begun with a win. The fight, with Malcolm Melvin, also resulted in a first career pro title for the man from Bradford as he knocked out his opponent in the 2nd round to claim the WBF Light Welterweight title.
Following his WBF title win Witter fought four more victories and found himself in June 2000 with a record of 15-0-2 and challenging for his first genuine World title against American Zab Judah. The fight, which took place in Glasgow in Scotland on the undercard of Mike Tyson's fight with Lou Savarese, ended with first career defeat for the Englishman. Witter lasted the distance but lost on points to the champion. Speaking of the fight later on in his career and when he himself had finally won a World title, Witter said "It was a shot in the dark. During my first few years as a pro, I was struggling like mad financially, so when the shot came about it meant a really big payday. I thought: if I don't take it, I've got nothing - all my savings were gone and all my loans were on top of me. As far as the fight went, I didn't have enough experience. I wasn't even British champion and I had nine days to prepare for a shot at Judah, one of the best fighters in the world. I lost on points, but I learned so much. It taught me that I deserved to be at that level."
Witter's response to his first defeat was to go the traditional route towards another crack at a World belt. Witter fought six more times since the Judah defeat beating the likes of Steve Conway (TKO 4) and Colin Mayisela (TKO 2) before, in March 2002, meeting Alan Bosworth for the vacant British light welterweight title claiming the belt with a stoppage in the third round. Witter's next fight saw him pick up the vacant Commonwealth title with a win over Ghanain Laatekwei Hammond. Two more fights in 2002 saw him beat Lucky Sambo in a non-title fight and Italian Guiseppe Lauri in an eliminator for the WBO light welterweight title.
Only two fights in 2003 saw the double champion add to his collection when in April 2003 he beat Belgian Jurgen Haeck for the European Union title. A first defence of his Commonwealth title took place in September at the MEN Arena in Manchester with a win in the 2nd round giving victory over Kenyan Fred Kinuthia. Witter finally challenged for the full European title in June 2004 beating Italian Salvatore Battaglia at the Ice Arena in Nottingham. The year ended for Witter with a first defence of his European crown at the Conference Center in Wembley beating Polish fighter Krzyztof Bienias.
In February 2005, Witter travelled to Los Angeles for a WBC Light Welterweight eliminator against Australian-based Lovemore N'dou. The fight which also doubled as a further defence of his Commonwealth title ended with a 12 round points decision win for the man from Bradford. In July of the same year Witter returned to the Ice Arena in Nottingham to score a win over Ukrainian Andriy Kotelnik in a close fought fight which was also a defence of his European title. Witter finished the year with a win over fellow Brit Colin Lynes in a fight which saw his British, Commonwealth and European titles all on the line at the same time. The fight, this time at the York Hall in London, ended with another points victory over 12 rounds for Witter.
September 2006 finally saw Witter claim a genuine World title when he challenged American Demarcus Corley for the vacant WBC Light Welterweight belt at the Alexandra Palace in Wood Green. Eighteen fights and eighteen wins since losing to Zab Judah in 2000 Witter had finally achieved the pinnacle of his career so far. Two defences of the title followed in 2007 with wins over Mexican Arturo Morua (TKO 9) and Guyanan Vivian Harris (KO 7) before on 10 May 2008, losing the belt to mandatory challenger Timothy Bradley via split decision. Following his loss to Bradley, Witter declared he would continue fighting at a professional level and vowed to return to the ring to reclaim his WBC crown. Bradley commented that he would be happy to offer Witter a rematch if the money was right.
Following the Bradley defeat Witter returned to the ring on 8 November 2008 and scored a third round knockout of Argentinian Victor Hugo Castro. He knocked his opponent down in the second but was unable to finish it due to the bell instead finishing the fight early in the following round. Witter was then given the chance to fight for his old WBC title when in May 2009, Timothy Bradley was stripped of the belt for choosing not to fight his mandatory challenger Devon Alexander. This handed Witter an opportunity to fight Alexander for the now vacant belt. The contest took place in California on 1 August 2009 with Alexander proving too strong for the former champion with Witter, claiming an elbow injury in round four, having to retire at the end of round eight.
Witter trained at the Police Boys Gym located in Bradford as a amateur boxer. He also supports Doncaster Rovers.
Early life
Witter studied at Carlton Bolling College, a high school located in bradford, west yorkshire.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
ScapposeJohn commenting on Shane Mosely possibly being unaware he was taking PED's wrote: Likewise. It reminds me of President Clinton saying that he smoked weed in college but never inhaled. Yeah..........right.
straycat

Post by straycat »

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yT9PQ2gOrnQ" frameborder="0"></iframe>
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
straycat

Re: March 10th

Post by straycat »

2012:
Orlando Salido KO 10 Juan Manuel Lopez, San Juan, Puerto Rico. Early in the tenth, Salido landed a hard three punch combination, knocking Lopez down. Lopez came back on his feet, but was on very unsteady legs, so referee Roberto Ramirez waved the bout off.

Here is a piece on Richard Sandoval from Seconds Out (dot) Com date for today.

Richard Sandoval – Former champion, current trainer, a survivor of the sport
By Margaret Goodman, MD

Richie Sandoval, a constant on the boxing scene, was at the top of his game when he suffered a career ending injury in 1986. Richie, a trainer at the Top Rank Gym, in Las Vegas, Nevada, and professional artist talks about his experiences and how he was able to walk away from being inside the ring.

WEIGHT

When I started in the amateurs at 16, I weighed 104. I had 190 (178/12) amateur fights. But I was skinny. Imagine 5’4” and 104 pounds. When I was fighting pro, I would always watch my weight. You talk about keeping your mind focused on counting calories; I would eat like a vegetarian. I don’t understand the guys nowadays. They eat pizza after pizza and junk food between fights; like they never have to weigh-in again. I would always stay within ten pounds of my weight class. This is crucial, especially for the lower weight classes. You hear of too many guys ballooning up between fights. This is no way to take care of your body and respect your job.

I would always stay in shape. I would play golf. I use to live next to a golf course. In fact, my first job was retrieving golf balls. Then I would resell them to the customers!

I did a number of things to stay in shape like running cross-country. The more you lay around you become a “couch potato”, and then you are going to gain weight. Even if you don’t have a fight for some time, never get more than 15 pounds over otherwise it will be impossible to shed.

TRAINING

In between fights I would spar about eight rounds max per session. You have to remember as a champion I fought 15 rounds. But I never did that in camp. You don’t have to because then you are over-working.

I would go to training camp about five weeks before. For the first few weeks I would have someone I could “toy” with, then three weeks before I would work with someone who could really get me going. Someone time I would do six rounds, six days a week.

The most important thing for a fighter to do is the roadwork. I would tell any fighter, “Roadwork is your homework.” It is like being in school. Every day I would run three miles. When I started having to fight fifteen rounds, then I would run five miles a day.

When I trained they didn’t have all these fancy techniques and machines. I did the old school. I would get an axe and chop a tree trunk. The tree would be then lying on the ground and I would still keep whacking on it. I would also hit old tires with a sledgehammer. Today fighters have become too prissy. Boxers want too many people around caring for too many things. A fighter should never forget how he got to where he is. His success came from hard work; so once you attain that success doesn’t mean you forget all the hard work.

THE LAST FIGHT

I retired when I was just 25! I told myself that if I ever got knocked out, I would walk away.

I had to defend my title at 118 against Jose Canizales. I won the WBA Bantamweight title in 1984 against Jeff Chandler. I defended it two more times in ’84. Then, I wanted to fight and stay busy, but I couldn’t get a fight. So, we took others. I fought three times in 1985 and once in February 1986 each at 122. Before I went to camp I said, “I can’t maintain 118.” For my last professional fight, I trained hard. I put all my confidence and trust in my trainer. But the thing was, for the last fight I was uncertain about making the weight. He said, “Sure you can. Just don’t be lazy.” I don’t remember much of what happened. I don’t even remember much of training camp.

I don’t even recall getting dressed. Before I got knocked out, I wasn’t winning. I was giving a go of it. I got dropped in the first round, then again in the fifth. The guy could punch, but he wasn’t a devastating puncher. It was just that I was underweight. The weigh-in was that morning. We were outside at Caesar’s under all those lights. If the weigh-in had been the day before, the way it is now, I wouldn’t have gained all that much, but I would have been much more healthy. I truly believe that if they ever moved the weigh-ins back to the same day of the fight, you would see a lot more tragedies.

In the hospital after I got knocked-out, the doctor told me I could never go back to boxing. In the hospital, Mr. Arum came to visit me. One thing I remember he says, “From today on, I don’t want you to go back in the ring. Don’t say anything yet. Go home and think about it. It is going to take time for you to get back to normal. Then I want you to come work for me. As long as you stay out of the ring, you will have a job with Top Rank.”

I was told that my recovery was so great because I had always kept myself in such good shape. I don’t remember much except they sent me home with medications. I watched the fight once in ten years. I didn’t want to watch it.

For me, it wasn’t hard to stop boxing. Like I said before, I had always put it in my mind that if I ever got really hurt in the ring, I would walk away. My parents encouraged me to let go because they said I had had a great career. It made sense. I could stay around in the same career and help others.

Every once and a while I have the itch. Every now and then when I am on a treadmill in the gym, I look around. Why would I? Give up this great job? I am in my mid-thirties. You can’t help but feel maturity setting in. That means you are not able to conform to the expectations you would like. That is the difference in an older fighter. Their body will not function. Their mind might. The mind might be able to think smart and click fast, but the body does not. It is so many beats slower than your brain.

Fighters don’t retire because they are comfortable in fighting. They are use to that. Sometimes all they live for is to fight. They sacrifice so much to get where they are. How they can they just leave it alone and walk away? That is their life. Boxing is a part of them.

It doesn’t matter how much you can hurt someone else if you can’t take a punch. If you can’t take a punch then why step in there again? Needing money isn’t a good excuse. You are talking about someone’s life. The people that surround you are going to live off of everything. Let’s face it; the kid in there is sometimes the sacrificial lamb.

There is a saying that once you get hit on the chin, your chin is tapped so that the next time you get hit, your legs are going to go. Once you get knocked out, you can’t take punches anymore. Your body will no longer withstand it. The day you get KO’d and taken out on a stretcher, that is a sign! Find another job. It is time to walk away otherwise you are going to become that sacrificial lamb.

LIFE AFTER BOXING

If somebody gets into the ring to get that payday or whatever, you have to know there is a day you have to walk out. If you don’t recognize that, don’t walk in. I was going to school up until I got my championship opportunity. I was taking academic classes and pursuing my arts. I wanted to do advertising design. I thought, “What am I going to do when I am not fighting? Go golfing everyday? There has to be a life after boxing for every fighter. Perhaps boxers need some spiritual guidance to help them realize that truth.

Richard Sandoval, now 41 years old, has so far accomplished many great things. During his excellent amateur career, he captured the 1979 Golden Gloves and US Junior Flyweight titles, No.2 at the PanAmerican Games, and the World Cup New York Junior Flyweight title. He earned the right to represent the US at the Olympics in the Flyweight division. Unfortunately for Richie, the US did not participate in the Moscow Olympics. Richie had an exceptional professional record of 29 wins, 1 loss. His career-ending fight against Jose Canizales resulted in him being rendered unconscious for almost 15 minutes. Luckily he recovered from a severe concussion. He is considered a valued member of the Las Vegas boxing community and has assisted many fighters in reaching their goals of success. In addition to training others, he is becoming a very accomplished artist with expertise in sports art. Boxing is very fortunate to have such a gracious, caring, and talented individual among its prior champions.
>^^< ŚŤŔÚŤ!
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Re: March 10th

Post by KSTAT124 »

SIXTY YEARS AGO:

March 10, 1956-

Paterson, New Jersey-

Future World middleweight champion and future Hall of Famer (IBHOF, WBHF) Joey Giardello improved to 60-12-6 by outpointing Hurley Sanders (35-26-4) over 10 rounds.

Hollywood, California-

Veteran lightweight Henry Davis (52-23-5) won a 10-round, split decision over Art Ramponi (21-9-1).

Return to “Today in Boxing History”