Fixed fights

Easy to find precise informations about Old School fighters , to elevate our boxing history knowledge
lurkyshaka
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion
TTR Challenge #1 & 2 Champion

Fixed fights

Post by lurkyshaka »

Im currently reading the Sonny Liston story 'Night Train' by Nick Tosches.
Its an interesting read though heavy weather at times.

In this book it is claimed that Blinky Palermo and Frankie Carbo who ran the show back in the day were instrumental in a couple of high profile fixes. Id like some thoughts on these fights.

Fox/Lamotta.....Apparently Lamotta threw this fight in exchange for a titleshot. I could belive this and Lamotta himself has said its true.

Marciano/Moore......Now this one seems interesting and i don't know what to make of it. Is this a possibility?

There was talk of another fight but the author declined to reveal that one cos it was so high profile and he feared legal action.

Thoughts?
Underweartaker

Post by Underweartaker »

Well presumably the high profile contest was Liston/Ali II. If that one wasn't mentioned, since it is one of the most talked about potential fix jobs in boxing history. Fox/Lamotta was almost definately a fix job, the first time Jake was TKO'd and he was apparently fighting entirely differently to how he normally does. No way Fox TKO'd him 4 rounds really. Lamotta alleged he threw the fight when those gangsters were on trial. I'm pretty sure he was giving evidence against them. I hope Ali/Liston II was not a fix job, as it would just be sad. But I have to admit, it wasn't much of a punch, was it?
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

Yeah it must be Liston/Ali 2.

Heres a pretty good read. Be sure to continue on to page 2, 3 etc. It's an older article but still relevant.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20011112/newfield/7
OldSchool

Re: Fixed fights

Post by OldSchool »

lurkyshaka wrote:
Marciano/Moore......Now this one seems interesting and i don't know what to make of it. Is this a possibility?

I honestly cannot believe this wasnt on the money, if your gonna take a dive you wouldnt take the risk of knocking your opponent down and you certainly wouldnt take a beating for 9 rounds

I just cant see any fighter throwing a fight whilst fighting for the heavyweight title
Old School
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

I searusly dout Marciano/Moore was a fixed fight with all the research I have done on him I have never read this
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Re: Fixed fights

Post by KSTAT124 »

lurkyshaka wrote:Im currently reading the Sonny Liston story 'Night Train' by Nick Tosches.
Its an interesting read though heavy weather at times.

In this book it is claimed that Blinky Palermo and Frankie Carbo who ran the show back in the day were instrumental in a couple of high profile fixes. Id like some thoughts on these fights.

Fox/Lamotta.....Apparently Lamotta threw this fight in exchange for a titleshot. I could belive this and Lamotta himself has said its true.

There was talk of another fight but the author declined to reveal that one cos it was so high profile and he feared legal action.

Thoughts?
Lurky, it sounds like you're reading the same book I read about a year and a half ago but with a different title. I wonder if "The Devil and Sonny Liston"- Tosches' well written and well researched book about Liston's life, times, and death- was renamed when released in England? I think Moore's inferring that he threw the Marciano fight is more of him trying to lessen the reality of a loss than a truthful confession. If he threw the fight he did it in an awfully strange way. He almost knocked Marciano out then got beaten up badly. If he was throwing the fight, he could have found a soft place to land a lot earlier than he did. Plus he had hounded Marciano, tirelessly campaigning, both in and out of the ring, for a title shot. I don't know. The work he put in convincing Marciano to fight him, badgering the press to help him obtain a shot at Marciano, beating no. 1 ranked Nino Valdes, etc., does not seem to translate, at least doesn't translate well, into him obtaining a fight just to take a dive.

Return to “Old School Fighters”