The HW Title

Easy to find precise informations about Old School fighters , to elevate our boxing history knowledge
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

The HW Title

Post by marciano1952 »

not useing the internet

1884 John L. Sullivan Defeated Paddy Ryan For the American Bareknuckle HW Title
1889 John L. Sullivan defeated Jake Kilrain in the last Bareknuckle Title fight that lasted 76 rounds
1892 James J. Corbette defeated John L. Sullivan by KO in the 22nd round to become the fist fighter to win the Title under the Marques of Queensberry Rules
1897 Bob Fitzsimmons Defeated James J. Corbett by KO to become the First middlewaight Champ to win the HW title Later to become the First to Win the MW,LHW, and HW title
1899 James J Jeffries Defeats Fitzsimmons By KO For the HW title and KOs Him again in the rematch befor vacating the title 1904 Marvin Hart Defeats Jack Root by KO for the Title that Jeffries Vacated Hart would Lose the Tile in his first Defense
1905 Tommy Burns Defeats Hart For the HW Title by UD over 20 rounds To become the Smallest HW champ ever and the only HW champ from Canada
1908 Jack Johnson Defeats Tommy Burns By Decisun after the Police stoped the bout Johnson became the first Colord Champ and is forced out of the country
1915 Jess Willard Stops Jack Johnson after 26 rounds of Fighting for the Title in Havana Cuba Johnson Clamed to have take a dive in the fight when this picture was shown in america
Although Modorn historieans have studied the film and said Johnson was hit clearly on the chin and that the KO was ligit
1919 Jack Dempsey stopes Jess Willard in the 3rd round when Willards handlers wont let him come out to fight willard sufferd major damage in this fight including a cruched check bone severl missing teeth and broken Jaw
1926 Gene Tunney Defeats Jack Dempsey by UD Gene Grants Dempsey a rematch wich turns out to be var controversal when Dempsey Floored Tunney with a Flerry of punches instead of heading to a nutral corner he stands over his falling victom witch gives Tunney enough time to recover and win by UD
1929 or 30 Max Schmeling and Jack Sharky Fight for Tunneys Vacant Title Smcheling Becomes the only HW champ to win the Title on a DQ
1932 Smcheling Give Sharky a rematch inwitch Sharky wins by UD for the HW title
1933 Primo Carnera KOs Sharky in the 6th to become the HW champ however his career was filled with controversey as he was controled by mobsters witch bribed his opponents into takeing a dive in most of his early fights witch fooled him the rest of his career but Sharky swar that Carnera beat him fairly
1934 Max Bear Destroys Carnera for the title knocking him down 11 times in 11 rounds befor the reff stopped the fight
1935 After a tramendus comeback in the HW division James J Braddock Defeats Baer by UD To cap off his cinderella story by winning the HW title
1937 Joe Louis gets off the canvas in the first round to KO Braddock in the 8th to win the HW title this was the only time Braddock was ever stopped in a fight and louis Claimed that He was the most courages man he ever fought Louis would go on to hold the title for over 11 years and 25 title defenses a record that still stands today
1948 Joe louis retires and Ezzard Chales and Jersy Joe Walcott Fight for his vacated title Charles wins by Decision and then faces a comebackig louis witch he also beats in a title defense
1951 Jersey Joe Walcott KO's Charles in a rematch for the HW title to become the oldest fighter to hold the title up until George Forman won it for the secound time
1952 after being put down on the floor in the first round by a left hook Rocky Marciano Stops Walcott in the 13th round with one right hand and then stop him again in the rematch in 1 round marciano would defend his title 5 more times befor retiring as the only Undefeated HW champ in history
after marciano officaly retired in 1957 Archie Moorer and Floyd Paterson would fight for the Title
1957 Floyd Paterson Stopes Moorer to become the youngest HW champ in history (23) untile Mike Tyson wins it at 21
1960 Ingomar Joehansson KOes Floyd Patterson for the HW title
1961 Floyd Patterson KOes Johansson to become the first HW champ to regain his HW title after loseing it and would again Defeat Johanson in the rubber match
1962 Sonny Liston Stopes Patterson in the First round after Patterson denied his managers instuctions of not fighting Liston The rematch went no differnt than the first match
1964 sonny liston Retires on his Stool befor the 8th round in his maych with Cassius Clay aka Muhammad Ali who would go on to hold the title until 1969 Defending it against Liston in a Rematch and Floyd Patterson in 1969 he was forced to surrender the title for denying intry into the US army
1971 Joe Frazier becomes the Lineal HW Champ after Defeating Ali over 15 rounds in what some call the fight of the centry Frazier Knocked Ali Down in the 15th round with his Famous Left Hook
1973 Geroge Forman Stopes Frazier in the 2nd round after knocking him down 7 times to win the HW Title
1974 The Rumble in the Jungle Foreman puts his title on the line against Muhammad Ali no one gave ali a chance in this match claiming he was 2 old for the hard hitting Foreman however on fight night Ali showed his ring smarts and laied on the ropes and let forman hit him and tire himself out in the 8th round Foreman was gasping for air Ali cought im with a fast flerry of punches and knocked Foreman down for the count to become the secound HW champ to regain the title
1978 Ali defends his title over up and comer Leon Spinks who would shock the world in this fight afte Winnig the title from an ageing Ali later this year Spinks Gives Ali a rematch and Ali would win and Become the only HW champ to win the title 3 seperate times

and this is were my knowledg drops off LOL

The HW title
loseronriver

Post by loseronriver »

You have all the memorized? that's very impressive..

"I knew he didn't want the fight," Dawson said. "He keeps talking about Philly and being a gangster. He's no gangster. Gangsters don't quit. He's weak. He's a weak physically- and mentally-minded person. He has no power."
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

loseronriver wrote:You have all the memorized? that's very impressive..
almost I know some dates and rounds are wrong
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

Good stuff Marc. Do you mind if I move this to another section for archival purpose?
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

dont mind at all Rasta
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

how bout if I leave it up here and post it in the other section
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

marciano1952 wrote:how bout if I leave it up here and post it in the other section

Sounds good I'll leave the link here. Cool?
woo

Post by woo »

Quick, what day and where did Jack Dempsey knock the holy bejesus out of Jess Williard? ;)

July 4, 1919 (the day was hotter than the holy hinges of hell...or so Rasta and Fast Eddie tell me) in Toledo, Ohio!!

Good stuff...how the fark did you remember all that without looking it up? Your notes are damn good bro....especially for a still wet behind the ears younsta.....got to give you props though. ;)

Good job!!
Woobase
TTR Contributor

Post by Woobase »

Sorry....I farked up and had an ISSUE with my original log in name...AStor helped me out, and created teh "woo" moniker for my stupid arse....but the old one works now....don't ban me fellas. LOL
"We have wasted HISTORY like a bunch of drunks shooting dice back in the men's crapper of the local bar" - Charles Bukowski
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

Woobase wrote:Sorry....I farked up and had an ISSUE with my original log in name...AStor helped me out, and created the "woo" moniker for my stupid arse....but the old one works now....don't ban me fellas. LOL

Lol I have done the same. I forgot my freakin password lol. Eddie cleared that up.
Woobase
TTR Contributor

Post by Woobase »

RASTA666 wrote:
Woobase wrote:Sorry....I farked up and had an ISSUE with my original log in name...AStor helped me out, and created the "woo" moniker for my stupid arse....but the old one works now....don't ban me fellas. LOL

Lol I have done the same. I forgot my freakin password lol. Eddie cleared that up.
HAHA...I did, too....or at least thought I did....but I had it correct, but could not log on....guess you're only permitted so many log in attempts prior to getting booted for 30 minutes. LOL. Fucking old people...I swear. HAHA.

And no, can't blame it on the "Goose" or frozen wine....I was at work. ;)
"We have wasted HISTORY like a bunch of drunks shooting dice back in the men's crapper of the local bar" - Charles Bukowski
RASTA666

Post by RASTA666 »

woo wrote:Quick, what day and where did Jack Dempsey knock the holy bejesus out of Jess Williard? ;)

July 4, 1919 (the day was hotter than the holy hinges of hell...or so Rasta and Fast Eddie tell me) in Toledo, Ohio!!

Good stuff...how the fark did you remember all that without looking it up? Your notes are damn good bro....especially for a still wet behind the ears younsta.....got to give you props though. ;)

Good job!!

Lol painstakingly painless.
Primetyme199
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ
TTR MMA Challenge #1 & 3 Champ

Post by Primetyme199 »

Good stuff there Marc, very impressive to say the least.
The fighters he's beaten aren't even household names in their own household.

"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of god."
KSTAT124
TTR Rankings & Results Editor
TTR Rankings & Results Editor

Post by KSTAT124 »

marciano,

While it's very impressive that you could post all that from memory, I think you should, whenever you have a chance, go over it to see if there are any discrepancies.

For instance, Floyd Patterson knocked out Archie Moore in the 5th round on November 30, 1956 to win the vacant title. Marciano had retired 7 months earlier. Patterson was 21 not 23 when he won the championship.

By the way, in 1957, Patterson made his first two defenses- stopping #1 ranked Tommy "Hurricane" Jackson in 10 on July 29 and knocking out debuting 1956 Olympic gold medalist Pete Rademacher in 6 on August 22.

After successful defenses against Roy "Cut and Shoot" Harris (August 1958) and Brian London (May 1959), Patterson lost the title to Johansson in June of 1959 and regained it in June of 1960.

I don't think you'd want anyone to be misinformed.
marciano1952
TTR FBL CHAMPION
TTR FBL CHAMPION

Post by marciano1952 »

KSTAT124 wrote:marciano,

While it's very impressive that you could post all that from memory, I think you should, whenever you have a chance, go over it to see if there are any discrepancies.

For instance, Floyd Patterson knocked out Archie Moore in the 5th round on November 30, 1956 to win the vacant title. Marciano had retired 7 months earlier. Patterson was 21 not 23 when he won the championship.

By the way, in 1957, Patterson made his first two defenses- stopping #1 ranked Tommy "Hurricane" Jackson in 10 on July 29 and knocking out debuting 1956 Olympic gold medalist Pete Rademacher in 6 on August 22.

After successful defenses against Roy "Cut and Shoot" Harris (August 1958) and Brian London (May 1959), Patterson lost the title to Johansson in June of 1959 and regained it in June of 1960.

I don't think you'd want anyone to be misinformed.

yeah it does need cleaning up LOL I dint think anyone would realy take this serious anyway caus I realy just posted it when I had alot of time on my hands one day and put my best guess into the ones I wasnt sure about
“Boxing right now is dying with its superstar Muhammad Ali fighting competitors not worthy to try for his crown.”
Black Belt Magazine, 1976

Return to “Old School Fighters”