JIMMY McLARNIN

Easy to find precise informations about Old School fighters , to elevate our boxing history knowledge
fsteddi

JIMMY McLARNIN

Post by fsteddi »

Forgotten Champs: Jimmy McLarnin
by Marty Mulcahey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jimmy McLarnin 1907-2004
Jimmy McLarnin, one of the greatest welterweight champions of all-time, passed away on Thursday, October 28 in Washington state. He was 96. McLarnin (53-11-3, 20 KOs, 1 nd), a native of Hillsborough, Ireland, had two reigns as welterweight champ during the years from 1933 to 1935. He held wins over Barney Ross, Tony Canzoneri, Benny Leonard, and Lou Ambers, and was elected to the Boxing Hall of Fame in 1991. Click below for Martin Mulcahey's profile on the legendary McLarnin.

Jimmy McLarnin is a fighter all other boxers should emulate. How unique is McLarnin? In his last two fights McLarnin defeated Hall-of-Fame boxers Tony Canzoneri and Lou Ambers, then retired! Leaving the sport at age 29, he never looked back while building an equally successful career away from boxing. McLarnin's title reign only lasted two years, but his greatness spanned a decade. Over those 10 years Jimmy dueled 15 champions (beating 13), defeated five reigning world champions in non-title bouts and beat many noteworthy contenders. He also went undefeated in rematches.

50 years after his retirement The Ring magazine still rated McLarnin the fifth best welterweight of all time. An Irishman by birth (born in Belfast) McLarnin moved with his family to Mortlack, Saskatchewan, Canada at age three. He learned to box at the age of 12, for use in defense of his newspaper corner.

Jimmy owed much of his success to mentor/trainer Charles "Pop" Foster who remained a lifelong friend. Early in his career McLarnin was known for brawling and his solid right hand, later he incorporated considerable boxing skills. He would have to, his right hand was used less and less because of recurring injuries. Jimmy's blows were delivered with more hand speed and accuracy then any welterweight of his era. His chin was also world class, a lone stoppage loss was via cut. Turning pro at 16, McLarnin was a 4-foot-10 inch, 108-pound flyweight, soon acquiring the nickname "Babyface".

Fighting his first nine bouts in Canada, he gradually upgraded the competition by moving down the West Coast of America, fighting eight more times in 1924. Two of those bouts were against Olympic Gold Medal winner and future flyweight champion Fidel LaBarba. The first was a relatively easy four-round win for McLarnin, who backed up LaBarba throughout the contest. A rematch saw LaBarba manage a four-round draw. The third fight with LaBarba which was over 10 rounds rendered a final verdict on who the better boxer was. The early rounds were fought on even terms before McLarnin lured the smooth boxing LaBarba into a brawl during the late rounds. It earned McLarnin a deserved victory.

The year of 1925 saw McLarnin beat former champion Pancho Villa for the biggest win of his young career. He decisioned Villa over 10 fast -paced rounds. In the next six months McLarnin posted three wins over former and future champions.

It began with the 10 round win against Villa, Jimmy then knocked out future welterweight champ Jackie Fields before avenging a loss to future bantamweight champion Bud Taylor. The earlier loss to Taylor was the first in 32 fights for McLarnin. A 1928 victory over fellow contender Sid Terris in Detroit ended a two year run of fighting on the tough West Coast fight circuit with a shot at Sammy Mandell's lightweight title. Mandell proved a worthy champion, repelling the young challengers attacks with precise footwork. The loss proved the 21-year-old McLarnin had not learned all the tricks of the trade. Throughout the bout McLarnin swung, missed, ate three jabs in return. That's all that needs to be written about the bout.

Five years of boxing the best without a title shot followed. McLarnin showed he would learn from defeat, beating Mandell two times in non-title matches over the next two years. The era was ruled by ethnic matches and McLarnin was known for defeating the great Jewish boxers of the time. He rode roughshod over New York City lightweight and welterweight contenders like Sid Terry, Joe Glick, Ruby Goldstein and Al Singer. Highly rated lightweight Terry was knocked out in less than two minutes, Goldstein did not see the third round, Singer was knocked out in the third. McLarnin earned fame and attention by defeating a prime Billy Petrolle twice, whom McLarnin called his toughest foe.

Jimmy lost the first fight with Petrolle in vicious fashion, floored in the first round he never recovered fully. Petrolle went on to dish out a brutal beating over 10 rounds, it could have ended a lesser man's career.

Five months later McLarnin beat Petrolle in the rematch, then repeating the feat four months later. After the wins over Petrolle, McLarnin lost a fight to Lou Brouillard. It was a blessing indisguise. Legendary Benny Leonard saw the fight and made a match with McLarnin. It was a costly mistake for Leonard, the power of McLarnin got to the aging legend. Leonard could not elude a pursuing McLarnin, and finally in the sixth round Leonard wilted under the pressure. It was a big win for McLarnin, giving him much needed media backing to force a title shot.

Four months later McLarnin battled Young Corbett II for the welterweight title. Taking no chances or prisoners, McLarnin beat Young Corbett II in just two minutes and 37 seconds. A supremely confident McLarnin floored Corbett less than 20 seconds into the bout. Three follow-up left hooks sent Corbett down again. Two more punches ended the slaughter. After years of chasing the crown McLarnin avoided boxing politics, instead of making easy title defenses he took on the best available boxer in his very next fight. It would forever link McLarnin to Barney Ross and capture the nation's attention in a historic three fight series. It is one of the best rivalries in any era, or weight class.

Held successively, each contest was close and all went to the scorecards. Their first meeting took place on May 28, 1934 at the Madison Square Garden Bowl, before 45,000 fans. In an action bout of evenly matched men, round nine proved a classic as both fighters hit the canvas. Ross won a split decision on his higher work rate in addition to McLarnin fading in the late rounds. Around 26,000 fans attended the rematch four months later, McLarnin overcame Ross and a completely closed left eye from the 10th round on to win a unanimous decision.

Anyone who thought McLarnin a one-dimensional puncher was surely impressed by the display of boxing Jimmy put on that night. Throughout the fight McLarnin avoided the charges and flurries of Ross using great footwork. He also managed to split the nose of Ross with a well timed counter. Their last meeting was the best and most brutal of the three bout series. Held before 40,000 fans and refereed by Jack Dempsey the two champs went at each other with wild abandon. Ross again pulled away late, taking the last three rounds to win a unanimous decision. The fight was up for grabs in the last round, McLarnin still maintains he won the fight with his effort in round 15.

The Ring magazine reported: "For 15 rounds at the Polo Grounds last night McLarnin, once again the babyfaced bomber, threw every punch he had, executed every wile learned in years of fighting the best of 'em. But it wasn't enough." It described how the scrappy McLarnin won the 15th and final round: "with as gallant a last stand as any champion ever made. For full three minutes he stood toe to toe, chin to chin, with Barney, and fired his last round of ammunition. He didn't save a bullet. When the bell rang, he didn't have a left hook or an uppercut or a right cross left in his body. If he had to lose - and he did - he certainly chose the magnificent way. He went down swinging." Words that could describe many a McLarnin bout.

The fight drew controversy for referee Jack Dempsey (the former heavyweight champion) scoring seven of 15 rounds even. The three fight series will be remembered for 45 rounds o f action in which few rounds were dominated by either man. The verdict in the final fight left a bitter taste for McLarnin who had to be persuaded out of retirement. After the Ross bouts Jimmy fought three more times, and because of his huge popularity he earned a small fortune in each bout. McLarnin beat Tony Canzoneri (lost to him also) and Lou Ambers (lightweight champ at the time), two Hall of Famers in those three fights. In all, nine of McLarnin's last 10 bouts were against world champions.

At the age of 29 McLarnin had enough of boxing, his heart no longer in the game he retired a wealthy man on ring earnings and wise investments. Among the offers he turned down in retirement was a $50,000 purse to fight Henry Armstrong. McLarnin instead married his childhood sweetheart, opened a successful machine shop, tried his hand at acting, golfing and even lectured at Universities. Jimmy resides in Southern California now, the second oldest living champion behind Max Schmeling. McLarnin celebrates his 96th birthday on December 17th, raise a pint and remember a great champion on that day.

Jimmy McLarnin
Titles: Welterweight champion 1933-1934 and 1934-1935
Record: 63-11-3 (20 K.O's)
Born: December 17, 1905 in Belfast, Ireland
Years active: 1923-1936
Nickname: Baby Facee

footnote
A Moveable Feast: "Carefully without seeming to look at him, as you do when boxing." Coincidentally, Hemingway wrote that at a time when Jimmy McLarnin was the most brilliant boxer on Earth--a time when men like Hemingway and Clark Gable stood outside Jimmy's dressing room hoping to shake his powerful hand.
Last edited by fsteddi on Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
fsteddi

Post by fsteddi »

Irish Boxing News Item.

The Jimmy McLarnin Story

Titles: Welterweight champion 1933-1934 and 1934-1935
Record: 63-11-3
Born: December 19, in Hillsborough, County Down, Ireland
Years active: 1923-1936
Nickname: Baby Face

To show just how unique McLarnin is you only have to look at his last two fights. He defeated Hall of Fame boxers Tony Canzoneri and Lou Ambers .......and then retired! What other fighter can you name in the history of the sport who walked away from the game at age 29 while on a winning streak like that?

McLarnin enjoyed "The luck of the Irish" outside of the ring to be sure but inside of the ring he was all skill and power. His title reign would only last two years but his reign as a great boxer spanned a decade, in it he dueled 15 champions (beating 13) and defeated 5 reigning world champions in non title bouts. The Ring magazine (1996) rated McLarnin the 5th best welterweights of all time.

A Irishman by birth McLarnin (one of 12 children) moved with his family to Vancouver Canada as a 3 year old child and began to box at the age of 10 after getting into fights over his newspaper corner. "I was a professional when I was ten. I got a dollar for my first fight and 60,000 for my last - but in between the one and the sixty grand, boy, there was a lot of hard work," is how he sums up his career. Jimmy owed much of his success to his mentor/trainer Charles "Pop" Foster an ex fighter who guided McLarnin to early success in boxing, they would remain life long friends.

"I was thirteen years old. He knew my dad and together they built a makeshift gym and started developing me. Pop said, 'I'll make you champion of the world if you'll just behave yourself and do as I tell you'.

"I was a wild swinging kid, but Pop started to teach me the science of boxing and how to develope speed and reflexes.

"The important part of boxing is not to get hit. If they can't hit you they can't beat you - and they can't hurt you.

"Boxing's a very hazardous business and I'd always felt that anybody that goes into it for fun has to be out of their entire cotton pickin' mind. But then I started to make money: when I was 19 I had $100,000 in the bank - so all of a sudden I realised boxing is for me and I put my entire mind into it.

"There was no romance in it. It was a tough, tough ordeal, but as the years wnet by and I got to know boxing, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, although it isn't the easiest game in the world."

His career began officially at 15 with ten successive wins on small shows in and around Vancouver. Then, at the start of 1924, he and Pop headed for California.

"I lied about my age in California; I was 16 but said I was 18, but it was still hard to get fights because I looked so young. I was 4'11" and weighed 108 pounds.

"We were three months in San Francisco before I got a fight. It was really tough going: we lived in a little broken-down place that cost us seven dollars a month. It was tough, and I was homesick."

Perseverence prevailed, however, and by the end of the first year out West the McLarnin log had risen to 25 wins and two draws. And that was only the start of what was to become a truly remarkable career.

For ten years McLarnin would be counted among the worlds best fighters because of his fast hard punching hands. Jimmy was a feared right-hand puncher and known most for it, but did carry power in both fists. He had too since his right was used less and less as his career progressed through injuries. Because of the hand injury he became a great boxer instead of just a banger. Jimmy's blows were delivered with more handspeed and accuracy then any welterweights of his era. His chin was also quite sturdy as proven by only being stopped in one bout via a cut
while facing the best of his era.

Among his fights in 1924 two were against Hall of Famer, Olympic Gold medal winner and future flyweight champion Fidel LaBarba.

The first was a relatively easy four round win for McLarnin who started fast and kept LaBarba backing up throughout the contest. A rematch saw LaBarba manage a four round draw. A third fight with LaBarba over ten rounds would be the final decider as to who was the better boxer. Jimmy did get the better of LaBarba in the early rounds and was able to lure the smoother boxing Fidel into a late round brawl to walk away with a deserved decision win.

1925 saw McLarnin win the biggest fight of his three year career as he took on former champion Pancho Villa and decisioned him over ten fast paced rounds. In fact he posted wins over three champions over a six month span in 1925. He began it with the ten round win over Villa before he knocked out future welterweight champ Jackie Fields and avenged a loss to future bantamweight champ Bud Taylor.

The earlier loss to Taylor was the first in 32 fights for McLarnin. Jimmy lost his first shot at the world title when he challenged Sammy Mandell. Jimmy was hailed by the press and fans for his toughness and willingness to fight the champ, but Jimmy was just not experienced enough to take the title. McLarnin would prove to be a fast learner and within the next two years won two ten round non-title matches from Mandell.

It would still be five years of boxing before McLarnin was to get his next opportunity because of boxing politics of the day. The era was also known for it's ethnic matches and McLarnin dominated the great Jewish boxers of the time. While waiting for his title shot McLarnin rode roughshod over the New York lightweights and welterweights like Sid Terry, Joe Glick, Ruby Goldstein and Al Singer. It only took McLarnin 1:47 to take out highly rated lightweight Sid Terry, Goldstein did not see the third round and Singer was knocked out in the third.

On his way to the welterweight title McLarnin earned fame and attention by defeating comebacking Benny Leonard and a prime Billy Petrolle twice. Jimmy did loose his first fight with Billy Petrolle in New York City in vicious fashion. Jimmy was floored in the first round and never recovered, he absorbed a brutal beating that might have ended a lesser mans career. But in 1931 McLarnin beat Petrolle twice and was never in trouble during either fight, those two fights were his only two of the year.

After his two wins over Petrolle, Jimmy lost a fight against Lou Brouillard which was a blessing in disguise as legendary Benny Leonard saw the fight and made a match with McLarnin. It was a big mistake as the power of McLarnin got to the aging Leonard who could not stay away from the pursuing McLarnin wilting in the sixth round. It was a big win for McLarnin and gave him the much needed media backing to force a title bout. In 1933 McLarnin would win his first world title by beating Young Corbett II in just 2 minutes and 37 seconds.

The fight took place in Los Angeles and McLarnin was supremely confident. In less than 20 second McLarnin had Corbett on the canvas via a right hook, three follow-up left hooks sent Corbett down again. Two more punches was all it took for McLarnin to knock Corbett down, and out this time.

Because of his years chasing the title McLarnin avoided all boxing politics and instead of facing easy title defenses took on the best available boxer in his very next fight. It would prove costly but McLarnin will forever be linked to Barney Ross for their historic three fight series which captured the nations attention and drew huge gates. It must be counted as one of the best rivalries in any era or weightclass of boxing. The fights were also held successively which added to the hype of the fights.

In the first title fight of their exciting three bout series, McLarnin and Ross the jr welterweight champ and former World lightweight drew 45,000 fans to the stadium. They saw a great evenly matched fight, both fighters traded knockdowns in the 9th. From there on however Ross controled the action to win the fight by split decision. In the second fight four months later in front of 26,000 fans McLarnin overcame Ross and a completely closed left eye from the tenth round on to win the unanimous decision.

Anyone who thought McLarnin was a one dimensional puncher was surely impressed by the display of boxing Jimmy put on that night. Throughout the fight McLarnin was able to avoid the charges and flurry's of Ross using great footwork. He also managed to split the nose of Ross with one of his well timed counters.

Their last meeting was probably the best and most brutal of the three bout series. Held before 40,000 fans and refereed by Jack Dempsey the two champs went at each other with wild abandon. Ross pulled away late taking the last three rounds to win a unanimous decision. The fight was up for grabs in the last round and McLarnin still claims he won this fight with his effort in the last round.

The three fight series was great because in 45 rounds of action there were few which you can say either man dominated. The verdict in the final fight left a bitter taste in McLarnin's mouth but eventually he was persuaded to fight again by his manger.

If you look at his career the last sixteen fights on McLarnin's career spanned seven years, but because of McLarnin's huge popularity he still managed to earn a small fortune in each bout. After the last Ross bouts Jimmy only fought three more time. Yet he managed to beat Tony Canzoneri (and also lose to him once) and Lou Ambers (who was a lightweight champ at the time) two Hall of Famers in those three fights.

McLarnin retired from the sport at the age of 29 as a very wealthy man thanks to his investments. After his ring career was over McLarnin opened a machine shop and would try his hand at acting, golfing and even lectured at Universities.

And Pop Foster? Well, here's the real nice part of the story:

Jimmy retired to get married. He and Lillian had a son and three daughters and Foster, who never married, bought a house in the same housing development - and dropped in for a cup of coffee almost every day of the remaining 21 years of his life.

And when Pop died in 1955, he left $286,000 ... every cent of it to Jimmy McLarnin.

McLarnin is still alive today living in California, making him the second oldest living champion behind Max Schmeling. McLarnin is the kind of success story in and out of the ring that all boxers should aspire to be.

To put the ring achievements of Jimmy McLarnin in perspective, here's a rundown on the world champions 'Babyface' encountered during his remarkable career:

Fidel LaBarba: Flyweight champion from August 1935 until relinquishing the crown two years later, McLarnin outpointed him twice and drew with him once in three meetings between October 1924 and the following January.

Memphis Pal Moore: Partially recognised as bantam champion after his win over Johnnt Ertle in 1918, McLarnin drew with him in a four rounder in December 1924.

Bud Taylor: Bantam champion from June 1927 until relinquishing the title in August 1928, McLarnin dropped ten round decisions to him in June 1925 and the following January, but in between - in December 1925 - beat him in two rounds.

Pancho Villa: Flyweight champion from June 1923, he was still champ when McLarnin outpointed him in a catchweight bout on July 4, 1925. Villa, from the Philippines, died ten days later of blood poisioning after having had a tooth extracted.

Jackie Fields: Welter champ from March 1929 until May of the following year, McLarnin knocked him out in two rounds in Los Angeles in November 1925.

Louis 'Kid' Kaplin: Feather champ from January 1925 until relinquishing the title in July 1926, McLarnin knocked him out in eight rounds in Chicago in October 1927.

Sammy Mandell: Lightweight champ for four years from July 1926, he outpointed the then 20-year-old McLarnin in a title defence in the Polo Grounds in New York in May 1928. In November 1929 and again the following March, McLarnin, by now a welterweight, outpointed Mandell in catchweight non-title bouts.

Young Jack Thompson: Welter champ from May to September 1930 and again from April to October of the following year, McLarnin outpointed him in New York in March 1930 - in Thompson's last bout before he won the welter title from Jackie Fields.

Al Singer: Lightweight champ for four months from July 1930, McLarnin knocked him out in three rounds in New York in September of that same year - in Singer's first fight since winning the title from Sammy Mandell.

Lou Brouillard: Welter champ from October 1931 until February 1932 and middle king from August to October 1993, he outpointed McLarnin in a ten rounder in New York in August 1932.

Benny Leonard: Lightweight champ from May 1917 until announcing his retirement in January 1925, he was unbeaten in 19 comeback bouts - one draw - when McLarnin stopped him in six rounds in New York in October 1932. Leonard never fought again.

Young Corbett III: Welter champ since dethroning Jackie Fields in February 1933, he defended against McLarnin the following May - and was knocked out at Wrigley Hield in Los Angeles in 2:37 of the first round.

Barney Ross: Already a champ at light and junior-welter (as it was then called), he won, lost and then won again in a classic three fight series with NcLarnin in exactly a year ... May 28, 1934 to the same date the following year.

Tony Canzoneri: An all-tine great and champ at feather, light and junior-welter, he outpointed McLarnin in May 1936 but was beaten in a return six months later.

Lou Ambers: Lightweight champ from September 1936 until August 1938 and again from August 1939 until May 1940, McLarnin outpointed him in November 1936 - two months after he'd won the title for the first time. It was McLarnin's last fight.

Career Record: 63 W, 11 L, 3 D (20 K.O's)

George Ainsworth BC W 4
Young Frye BC W 4
Red Peterson BC W 4
George Ainsworth BC W 4
Mickey Gill BC W 4
Hector McDonald BC W 4
Young Wallace BC W 4
Red Peterson BC W 4
Dec 28 Mickey Gill Vancouver, BC W 6

Feb 13 Frankie Sands Oakland W 4
Feb 22 Eddie Collins Oakland KO 3
Mar 5 Joe Conde Oakland KO 3